The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 143 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#157307 - 08/23/08 11:44 PM Acknowleding them
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Although I am not a mother, I know a good parent when I see one. And, since I had wonderful parents, I know the difference! Each time I see a young mother doing her best to discipline her children, I always acknowledge them for doing great job!

Just today a young mother had two unruly little girls in the restroom. As I listened to all the words being said while I was sitting in the potty, I was grinning from ear to ear!

When I went to wash my hands, I leaned over to the mother and said "GREAT JOB! It is so beautiful to see a mother who really cares enough to discipline her children WELL". She was so thankful that someone recognized that. Our conversation went on about how there is not enough "correct" discipline "out there". She agreed and also said she does not tolerate misbehavior in public.

I think it's such a good thing to tell these mothers that someone sees it and appreciates that!

To quote from a previous post I had, "How will they know unless you tell them?"

#157310 - 08/24/08 12:17 AM Re: Acknowleding them [Re: Di]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Di, that's an excellent thing to do. I still remember 18 years ago when my 3-yr old was misbehaving in the grocery store. I bent low to speak with him, distracted him, and got him to help me find items on the shelves - no more problems. Then a woman came up to me and said something similar to what you said to that young mother. I've always remembered that, and try to do it as well.

K

#157312 - 08/24/08 12:42 AM Re: Acknowleding them [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Di Offline

Ahhh, see? How did that make you feel when you heard that??

#157376 - 08/24/08 06:55 PM Re: Acknowleding them [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
BRAVO Di! What a marvelous thing to do. I was always complimented on how well behaved my sons were in public, and polite. Kind of a subject change here but my ex husband always told people he never saw anything like it, all I have to do is point to my dogs and they behave, same way with my sons. All I ever had to do was raise my eyebrows or point my finger...Its nice when someone says something complimantary to someone else. We all enjoy thuthful words...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#157392 - 08/24/08 07:20 PM Re: Acknowleding them [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'll be on the look out while I'm out and about, and will do as you did Di. It's a great way for boomers to encourage this younger generation. Thanks for sharing.

I recall a compliment by an elderly woman neighbor whom I didn't really know at the time. When my kids were little, I took them out daily - walks, runs, bike rides, strolls, chalk, skates, you name it. One day while sitting outside with them, she walked by and said, "Everyone should have a mother like you." I was dumbfounded, thanked her profusely and she kept walking. I'll never forget it. Not it's my turn to compliment another mother.

Thanks for the reminder.

#157396 - 08/24/08 07:58 PM Re: Acknowleding them [Re: Dotsie]
Di Offline

I talked to my step-daughter about this very thing. What I said was "Isn't it nice to get an affirmation that you are doing the right thing"? She said,'No one has ever done that". "Well, I just did!" I said.

She truly is a good mother...she gives baby Grace (2 1/2 y/o) ONE chance not to do (whatever it is) again. If she does, she gets disciplined.

Of course, when I see mis-behaving kids, I say NOTHING to mothers. Our market days are full of families.....and believe me.....when I notice I say something. It brightens the day of the parents!

#157401 - 08/24/08 08:14 PM Re: Acknowleding them [Re: Di]
Di Offline

Incidentally, Chatty. Our dogs are extremely well-behaved as well.

DH does an excellent job. I told his daughter that her Dad raises dogs the way he raised his kids......and she knew what I was saying. VERY good manners and well-liked by others.

In fact, one reason I married DH was because of his kids. They were in their early 20's and STILL talked to their Dad! That totally impressed me.....so I was hooked! "He must've done something right", I thought! I fell in love w/the whole family!

#157441 - 08/25/08 01:04 AM Re: Acknowleding them [Re: Di]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Di
In fact, one reason I married DH was because of his kids. They were in their early 20's and STILL talked to their Dad! That totally impressed me.....so I was hooked! "He must've done something right", I thought! I fell in love w/the whole family!

Agree with you Di. That is a good signal (of a person's long-term behaviour and personality) that grown children even still want to communicate with their parent. Communication doesn't have to be fantastic, as long as the lines are open.

My partner's children who are just abit older than your stepchildren, enjoy chatting up with him or emailing stuff to him.

#157474 - 08/25/08 05:31 AM Re: Acknowleding them [Re: orchid]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Both my DH and I do this when we witness good behavior, esp. when we are dining out. We include the children in on the compliment, usually. They've taking the good discipline and putting it to use, IOO... and thank goodness they do... there's nothing worse than a mischievous child in a restaurant... well, maybe a hair or bug in the bad food, or a waiter/waitress with a big zit.

#157588 - 08/26/08 12:29 AM Re: Acknowleding them [Re: Di]
hotflashgal Offline

Loc: New Jersey
What a great thing to have done. It is always great to hear supportive words especially in a situation like that. I bet she won't forget it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved