The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 122 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#145243 - 03/23/08 04:26 PM Cheffy stepson visiting
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
He really is a restaurant chef..and shows it in his style of cooking for us. 2 days ago we had asparagus with red wine and orange jus, venison and chicken sausages on side, a rustic fruit tarte made with soft light buttery crust he made from scratch and filled with mango, apple, pear and cantaloupe garnished with fresh thyme. (This is more French, though canataloupe didn't do much).

Tonight he's making from scratch: olive bread, garlic bread, seafood boullabaise, a savoury apple tarte and I'm not sure what else. He's into a French cuisine kick these days. He got excited about the books I gave away from my book collection: a book about a guy learning craft of bread making in France, goat cheese farm explorations and an American woman who opens up a cooking school in France.

I'm trying to prepare myself...am recovering from 24-hr. flu.

His son made the plane trip to see his Oma (grandmother) who has become quite frail. In a way, it was a gesture of recognition where the inspiration of chefdom came from...his grandmother's fine German cooking and baking.

#145244 - 03/23/08 04:40 PM Re: Cheffy stepson visiting [Re: orchid]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Orchid,

Sounds like you're in for a treat...hope your recovering tummy is up for the rich food.

Hope you all have a delightful visit.

#145245 - 03/23/08 08:46 PM Re: Cheffy stepson visiting [Re: Jane_Carroll]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Visit is one of those special, rare moments in time since he lives 4,300 kms. away. My partner is spending tons of time with him...in some key restaurants, bakeries and food shops.... And it is this short time, that every family wants to freeze its happiness forever in time.

I get a real kick seeing how much the cheffy-stepson has done with his life in a great way. He was high school drop-out. (in contrast to his sister who has a Master's in English Lit.) Didn't have interest in much reading. (I remember my partner asked how one could stimuate his reading interest. My answer: find a person's passion and that may guide him/her to read more.) So it's been a long, long journey for the 28 yr. young man. He now supervises a kitchen of 19 staff at a chic museum restaurant.

He is happily married with a bright young woman who is trying to carve her own career. Now he's gobbling up as much information about certain cooking/cuisine trends, etc.

When I first knew the children when they were teens, they hated sushi. Now, it's the hunt for the freshest, best sushi and sashimi in town at a good price.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved