The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 93 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#126729 - 08/30/07 09:32 PM Conversations with women who are expecting
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
All too often, we women who could not have babies experience difficulty conversing with women who are expecting. One reason is that it just hurts us too much. We just end up crying our eyes out when we are alone.

Another reason is that the expectant mother, in her joy (understandably so!) talks so much about her impending birth that we have nothing to contribute.

My question is this: Would it be ok to have a conversation with a pg woman and NOT acknowledge her pregnancy and just talk to her woman to woman?

We do not want to come across as rude or unfeeling, but it's just so uncomfortable that we usually avoid such conversations.

I hope this is an ok questions to ask. But I figured that the authorities here (mothers) might be able to shed some light.

Your heart-felt replies are so appreciated.

#126730 - 08/31/07 05:50 AM Re: Conversations with women who are expecting [Re: Di]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Quote:

My question is this: Would it be ok to have a conversation with a pg woman and NOT acknowledge her pregnancy and just talk to her woman to woman?

Hi, Di: To not acknowledge it at all? If I were the pregnant woman and was asked how I was, I would most definitely reply accordingly. And, that would most certainly include the pregnancy regardless of whether or not I knew of the other person's circumstances. If no acknowledgment comes my way for how I was feeling and the conversation drifted immediately to other topics, I would find the flow of the conversation unnatural.

#126731 - 08/31/07 07:31 AM Re: Conversations with women who are expecting [Re: Lola]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Pregnancy is a joyous occasion. To share someone's joy is to "share" someone's joy.

#126732 - 08/31/07 08:03 AM Re: Conversations with women who are expecting [Re: Edelweiss]
Lola Offline

And, please don't think you do not have anything to contribute to any conversation with a pregnant woman either, Di. The state of emotions a pregnant woman goes through swings from one end to another. Certain aspects of her health would not be dissimilar to another's e.g. nausea, bloated feeling, all that comes with weight gain, hair loss, calcium deficiency and many more which you can discuss with her and probably, even help her with. She may also have fears about the general state of global issues. You can discuss that as well. And if I were pregnant, I will surely appreciate that you're in the soap business and we can discuss where your products may be of benefit to me and my unborn child e.g. the shea butter. There are so many more to bring into a conversation despite circumstances. But, foremost, I was taught that the art of conversation is in listening. So, as Hannelore says, listen to the joy of the other. Joy is what is being shared.

#126733 - 08/31/07 10:21 AM Re: Conversations with women who are expecting [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Di, I think that's perfectly fine. Some pregnant women may prefer to speak about something else for a change.

#126735 - 08/31/07 12:45 PM Re: Conversations with women who are expecting [Re: ]
Di Offline

Interesting Lola. Since I do the Farmers/Craft market here twice weekly, whenever I see a pg woman, I oftentimes say "What you are using for stretch marks?"

Thanks for these honest replies. Please keep them coming. It think it's important to hear 'from the other side'.

I'll be "snipping" these replies into my board, of course deleted your names. It'd be good to hear what mothers think of this.

I'd love to hear more!

#126736 - 08/31/07 05:53 PM Re: Conversations with women who are expecting [Re: Lola]
Di Offline

Quote:

If no acknowledgment comes my way for how I was feeling and the conversation drifted immediately to other topics, I would find the flow of the conversation unnatural.

And, it would be unnatural for US to talk about the pg'cy. So, where is the line drawn? Where can it be comfortable for both parties??

#126737 - 08/31/07 06:24 PM Re: Conversations with women who are expecting [Re: Di]
Lola Offline

Quote:

And, it would be unnatural for US to talk about the pg'cy. So, where is the line drawn? Where can it be comfortable for both parties??

Courtesy ought to draw the line, Di.

If either speaker centers on herself, then it is not a conversation. It becomes a monologue. Pregnant or otherwise. So, when the pregnant woman continues to deliver a dramatic soliloquy, even I would be tempted to make an excuse to leave

I had to give a lot of thought about your second question, Di. And the closest that I could get around to a reply would be based on my relationship with my sister: perhaps, if the conversation is approached without building walls at first instance or comparisons in its duration because of differences?

Edited by Lola (08/31/07 10:57 PM)

#126738 - 08/31/07 06:34 PM Re: Conversations with women who are expecting
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

Di, I think that's perfectly fine. Some pregnant women may prefer to speak about something else for a change.

If it was a woman I knew personally from before, it would be nice to acknowledge (ie. when is baby due?).

If it is a woman I don't know, I tend not to ask. Di, being in female dominant profession (as a librarian where 80% are women), seeing pregnant professional women is quite common. Most of the time the conversation with other women whom I don't know personally, but professionally, tends to be work-related especially when it is a business networking /training session. These mothers do want to stay on top, professionally ]....so they are trying to glean as much info. as possible from others.

#126740 - 09/01/07 12:39 AM Re: Conversations with women who are expecting [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I belong to many large groups of people and come in contact with younger pregnant women. Sometimes advice is asked for and I give it but I never start the conversation, I never refer to a womans condition, first. To me that would be like saying oh, your black, or oh, your Lesbian, or your fat/skinny, how's that working for you? I treat every single woman with respect and interest, but never bring up a personal topic. I always wait until they do.

And Di, just talk, no need to talk differently to a woman because she is with child!!! Talk soap, or the weather, world hunger, fashion, anything. You're an intelligent lady you must be able to speak about many topics.

Friendliness is the key, a nice big sincere smile works every time, even if you're not talking at all ...!

Edited by chatty lady (09/01/07 12:42 AM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved