The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 154 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105930 - 01/31/07 01:51 PM My daughter's daughter...
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
She's eight and goes to a private school. She has come home with head lice twice now! Yesterday, ringworm! What in the world is going on with these families? They don't take care of their children's head lice and send the kids back to school so they reinfect all the kids again.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#105931 - 01/31/07 02:12 PM Re: My daughter's daughter... [Re: Dianne]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I was director at a charter school for two years, and we had head lice run through twice. And it always seemed to hit the kids with the most beautiful hair.

When it was discovered, the child would be sent home immediately, and we would call every other child in to be checked. Boy, was that fun. You wear gloves and poke through the kids hair like a monkey family!

And when the child was ready to come back, they had to be checked again before we would let them return.

Kathy

#105932 - 01/31/07 03:51 PM Re: My daughter's daughter... [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Yea, lice like clean hair the best!

#105933 - 01/31/07 03:54 PM Re: My daughter's daughter... [Re: Jane_Carroll]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Then I'll never get it.

#105934 - 01/31/07 05:53 PM Re: My daughter's daughter... [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Oh dear,... stress; comb and wash, comb and wash...I went through that when our boys went to Kindergarden. How does Ring worm manifest its self?

Kathy, is a charter school a private school? How big and how many classes? Sounds like quite a responsibility.

#105935 - 01/31/07 06:30 PM Re: My daughter's daughter... [Re: Edelweiss]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

A charter school is a part of the public school system, but without as many restraints as a regular public school. It was a small Montessori school for grades K-6 with about 85 students and four teachers.

I loved the work, the kids and their families - BUT - I had four teachers that were constantly going two against two and trying to throw me into the middle of it. They lied and I never knew which two were telling the truth. It was awful, and I would go home and cry many, many nights.

I am one of those people that feels such a great responsibility for getting the job done and done well, and I just couldn't do it properly with those teachers. The board I worked with didn't believe or understand the issues I was having - but after I left, they discovered everything I had told them about was true.

I left after two years, and really miss the kids.

#105936 - 01/31/07 07:38 PM Re: My daughter's daughter... [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Funny how you should mention head lice today, Dianne. It was one of the stories on the BBC because apparently contaminations occur mostly in the winter as coats are hung too closely in the cloakrooms. They said that rinsing with vinegar helps more than medicated shampoos. Also, curling iron seems to burn those nits/eggs which cling to the strands of the hair.

Hi, Kathy: I love Montessori teachers!!! My children attended Montessori and so do the grandchildren.

#105937 - 01/31/07 09:30 PM Re: My daughter's daughter... [Re: Lola]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
My daughter said she has to blow dry her daughter's hair as the lice don't like the heat.

I think ringworm comes from animals and she is always finding strays and bringing them home. Kids.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#105938 - 01/31/07 10:00 PM Re: My daughter's daughter... [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dianne, this gives me the willies. I remember them checking the kids for lice at my chidlren's elementary school. I was so afraid they were going to get lice from the nurse rooting through their hair after digging through another student's hair who had it. It never made sense to me. Once one child had lice, they checked all the others in the class. I wanted to tell them to keep their hands out of my kid's hair. I feel sorry for your daughter and granddaughter. I understand it's tough to get rid of.

My sister's kids once had lice after traveling by train. YUK! Headrests gross me out.

#105939 - 02/01/07 03:59 AM Re: My daughter's daughter...
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Dotsie, we had to change gloves after every single child. We went through LOTS of gloves!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved