The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 151 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#91930 - 10/14/06 06:55 PM My son wants to join the Marines
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
My son called me the other night and told me he had gone to visit a Marine Corps recruiter. He said he'd been thinking about joining for a long time (what's a long time to kids, anyway?).

His father and I were both Marines. He's going to be 21 this year. He says he doesn't want to join until after he has lasik surgery so that he doesn't have to wear glasses in boot camp, so we're really not looking at any time soon. Spring or early summer at best next year.

On one hand I'm extremely proud of him for wanting to join and serve his country. Being a Marine is like nothing else on earth. He would have 100% of my support and love. On the other hand, having been in the Marines, I know what he'll be going through, it's tough. Plus, joining during war time makes it that much scarier.

He wants to go in as a firefighter. He says he won't join if he can't be a firefighter. It's something he's wanted to do since he was very young. He's always wanted to fight fires.

Double scary, right?

I fear for my son but realize he's a special person and meant to do special things in his life. He nearly died when he was born (we both did). His life is extra special.

I guess I'm not really asking for anything here, just if you'd keep him in your prayers while he takes the time to consider joining.

I love him so much.

Thanks.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#91931 - 10/14/06 07:11 PM Re: My son wants to join the Marines [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
God Bless his bravery and may God take control of his life during this decision making time and always. This is without a doubt for you a double edged sword. Half pride and half terror.

Edited by chatty lady (10/14/06 08:29 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#91932 - 10/14/06 07:11 PM Re: My son wants to join the Marines [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Vicki: Your son will be in my prayers whilst he considers which position to pursue. How admirable it is for young people, like your son, to have the vocation to serve country and others.

#91934 - 10/14/06 07:43 PM Re: My son wants to join the Marines [Re: ]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I admire him for following his dreams. I pray for all of you that this is the right decision. Following in your parents footsteps is a compliment, but not all compliments are easy to accept.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#91935 - 10/15/06 03:28 AM Re: My son wants to join the Marines [Re: Anno]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Vicki,
Oh my. At one time years ago, both of my children were making noises about joining. I was fearful and begged them not to join. Then I heard a lesson in Church one Sunday talking about Jesus dying on the cross for ME. I thought, "You know, God probably would have liked to have His son at home, safe and sound but He sacrificed HIM for ME, ... HIS SON ... so who did I think I was?" The fear of possibly losing them was driving my thinking then, and I realized it was, but there are lots and lots of Mother's out there who would love to have their sons home, safe and sound. I was ashamed of myself. I've learned so much since that time.

I don't know how I would cope if they did join, but I do know NOW that I would support them in any way I could, just like you are doing.

At the same time, I understand your heart and I will surely have you all in mine.

#91936 - 10/15/06 03:59 AM Re: My son wants to join the Marines [Re: jawjaw]
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
You have such a wonderful sense of wisdom JawJaw - thank you for sharing it with us.

Vicki, I admire your son and appreciate that he wants to be a Marine. Yet, as a Mother of a son, I also share your concerns for him.

I have two good friends with sons in the military. One son returned recently from iraq and the other son is expected to come hom in December. I had watched these two friends stand strong in their suppport of their sons' decision while struggling with wanting to keep them safe. My heart goes out to all Moms who are dealing with the stress of having a child in harms way. God bless all of you and a sincere thank youo to all our men and women who are bravely serving our country. God bless them and keep them safe!

Donna

#91937 - 10/15/06 01:10 PM Re: My son wants to join the Marines [Re: 49erDonna]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Vicki, I'm sure your heart's divided so I will pray for you and your son. Is he a firefighter now, or is this osemthing he will be trained for in the Marines? Also, I'm wondering if they tell him he can be a firefighter when he joins, does that really mean he will be?

#91938 - 10/15/06 07:27 PM Re: My son wants to join the Marines
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Yes, JJ...but God also knew his son is coming back to him.
Hannelore

#91939 - 10/15/06 08:32 PM Re: My son wants to join the Marines [Re: Edelweiss]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
All these posts keep bringing to mind a motto I have on a sweatshirt I wear that says:

HOME OF THE FREE, BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE.....

Kind of says it all doesn't it!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#91940 - 10/15/06 09:36 PM Re: My son wants to join the Marines [Re: chatty lady]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Thank you all for your prayers and support.

Dotsie, my son has already received some training for firefighting but he hasn't completed all of it. He'd get the training he needs in the Marines.

Yes, for the most part, if he makes a deal to join for a particular MOS, then he should get that assignment when he's out of bootcamp. I went in for aircraft electronics and when I was out of bootcamp I went straight to electronics school.

Chatty, my son is very brave. He's never backed down from anything. He'll make an excellent Marine. Although, part of me wishes he wouldn't. But, you're right, JJ. I can't be selfish. I coudn't deny the world my son and all he stands for. But, I can still worry about him. And that I can do real well. :-)
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved