The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 182 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#4098 - 09/10/04 07:52 AM driving
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Big topic in this household. I have two sixteen year olds gearing up to get behind the wheel of the car. [Eek!]

I'm in no hurry.

What, if any, stipulations did you place on your children when they got their license?

Fortunately, the state requires they be off the streets by midnight. I love that! Let's see, what else can the state do to discipline our children? [Wink]

#4099 - 09/09/04 09:14 PM Re: driving
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
here are a few restrictions we put on our teenage drivers:

1. no driving after dark
2. no other passengers
3. do not use the interstate
4. "bad" neighborhoods were to be avoided

we had a certain period of time for each of these things. Then after successful completion of each point, we then added other restrictions like

1. driving only until 9 pm
2. 1 passenger
3. interstate only during "off peak" hours
4. always avoid bad neighborhoods, no matter how much of a short cut it was

Of course the driver had to always ask permission to use the vehicle, it wasn't there for his/her own personal enjoyment

Any and all gasoline used was replaced or they couldn't use the car the next time they wanted it

Those are just some of what I can remember right now. It's been quite a while since we've had new drivers in the house.

Oh, one thing I do remember is we had a safety driver contract. We listed all the safety rules for driving, what to do in case the car broke down, what to do in case of an accident, our restrictions and such. We had the new driver sign it. It also indicated what would happen if any of the restrictions were not followed.

#4100 - 09/09/04 11:38 PM Re: driving
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Vicki those are some great rules and if anyone has their young drivers adhere to them they should feel confident that their cars and children are fine. I am especially interested in the NO friends in the car until possibly 1 may be allowed. I have seen far too many cars full of young people bouncing about and acting totally stupid to where the driver was totally distracted. We have had several deaths in car accidents with 3 or 4 or even 6 kids in a car that wrapped around a post or hit a wall etc. I also use to follow carefully my son just to see how he was driving. My mom put a sign in the back window of her car that read:
TEEN DRIVER - HOW AM I DOING with the phone number. Luckily for me the only call she ever got was from a man saying, "I was a courteous driver." Try the sign, its like you being there... [Razz]

#4101 - 09/13/04 06:23 PM Re: driving
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks ladies.

Our state tried passing the law about other youth being in the car with them, but it didn't pass.

We've also tried haulting the license routine until 18, but that didn't fly either.

#4102 - 09/13/04 06:52 PM Re: driving
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Been a while since I had teen drivers but as I remember it was things like

1) The back seat is made for back seat riders. Period.

2) Trying to see how many guys you can get in a car at one time and then driving to IHOP is NOT, I repeat, NOT funny.

3) If you friend Roger that drove blindfolded jumped off a bridge would you do that too?

4) Yes, cars need oil

well, those are just a few of them that I can remember...course don't ask my sons, cause they will have a different version.

BUT SERIOUSLY FOLKS...I raised two boys on my own. Besides the normal rules which you all have pretty much covered I sat them down and said this..."You are human. You are going to try things that you will regret. If someday you decide to try drinking and you have a vehicle, call me. I will come and be your taxi, no questions asked." [Big Grin]

JJ

#4103 - 09/14/04 07:56 AM Re: driving
WizardofZA Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
quote:
Originally posted by jawjaw:

If someday you decide to try drinking and you have a vehicle, call me. I will come and be your taxi, no questions asked." [Big Grin]

JJ

We did that too, and it worked! Neither of our kids needed to do that in high school, but they always remembered it. Just within the last year, both daughters availed themselves of this offer...one was 28 and attending a high school reunion; the other was with her new husband at a wedding. I'm so glad they weren't embarassed and felt they could call rather than attempting to drive home themselves. AND, we were true to our word...no questions were asked and no fun made! We just thanked them for having the smarts to call.

#4104 - 09/13/04 10:14 PM Re: driving
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
it worked for me too Wiz...I had to pick one son up one time, and he was sheepish and felt awkward when he came to the car, but believe it or not, I kept my mouth shut. I was grateful to God that he called.

This is sooo funny. Twice in the last few days I have been thinking bout one of you boomer sistahs and wham! There you are...

I was wondering how you were just this morning! Isn't that a hoot? I visited your site again and saw all the new pic's you have up. I really enjoyed the visit. I hope you new biz is going great!

Hugs, JJ

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved