The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 144 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#207473 - 09/07/10 12:37 PM In London Today
Mountain Ash Offline

Sharing what is happening in London today

Pilots, firefighters, nurses and ambulance workers who battled through the bombing raids of the Blitz have gathered at St Paul's Cathedral.

A remembrance service at the cathedral marked the 70th anniversary of the start of the raids.

Thousands of people across the UK were killed and injured in the series of raids on cities by German forces in 1940 and 1941.

The City of London Salute celebrated those who worked to protect Britons.

Blitz, the German word for "lightning", was applied by the British press to the tempest of heavy and frequent bombing raids carried out over Britain.

This concentrated direct bombing on industrial targets and civilian centres, with heavy raids on London.

The date of 7 September has been chosen for the commemoration as it is exactly 70 years to the day since the German offensive switched to non-military targets, with nearly 1,000 German planes crossing the English Channel to attack cities.

The scale of the attack rapidly escalated. In September alone, the German air force dropped 5,300 tonnes of high explosives on the capital in just 24 nights.

In their efforts to "soften up" the British population and to destroy morale before the planned invasion, German planes extended their targets to include the major coastal ports and centres of production and supply.
Coventry city centre - the morning after the Blitz destroyed three quarters of it The service was held in London, but other cities, such as Coventry, were also targeted in the Blitz

More than 400 people were killed on the first day alone. Hundreds more were injured and huge fires burned across London

#207487 - 09/07/10 04:37 PM Re: In London Today [Re: Mountain Ash]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Mountain Ash,

That is wonderful to hear! How many people do you think will be there who lived through that terrible time?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#207490 - 09/07/10 06:29 PM Re: In London Today [Re: Anne Holmes]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
And old Winnie was there to keep up morale and get everyone through that terrible time. The Brits never gave up, which is remarkable considering what they endured.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#207492 - 09/07/10 09:00 PM Re: In London Today [Re: yonuh]
Mountain Ash Offline

Several people who as children were part of the bombing have recalled on the TV what they saw and experienced.
What these people endured saved the free world as we know it.

There is good reporting for anyone who wants to google the event.
Wonder if Lola was participating.She is very involved in the planned Papal visit but would be aware as the planes were flying as a tribute.Marching servicemen and Royalty attended

#207503 - 09/08/10 01:06 PM Re: In London Today [Re: Mountain Ash]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
That is so excellent, commemorating those whose lives were
given for countrymen and freedom. Salute! God bless!

#207507 - 09/08/10 02:53 PM Re: In London Today [Re: Mountain Ash]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: Mountain Ash
Several people who as children were part of the bombing have recalled on the TV what they saw and experienced.
What these people endured saved the free world as we know it.

There is good reporting for anyone who wants to google the event.
Wonder if Lola was participating.She is very involved in the planned Papal visit but would be aware as the planes were flying as a tribute.Marching servicemen and Royalty attended

Hello, MA. Thanks for the heads up. I went to the Blitz exhibition at London Transport Museum before dinner with colleagues at Covent Garden yesterday. Tube was still reeling from the strike and it was difficult to go around town. Ironically, the Underground network was where Londoners rushed for safety. Whinged and moaned about the Tube strike until someone in my gang said that, referring to the Blitz, at least we did not have to duck for cover while doing it.

http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whatson/128.aspx

Still busy, if not busier, with the Papal Visit but, I am working from home today and tomorrow because I broke my upper tooth grappling with pork crackling. Been to the Dentist's and dental cosmetics won't be through until tomorrow.

#207509 - 09/08/10 02:59 PM Re: In London Today [Re: yonuh]
Lola Offline

Originally Posted By: yonuh
And old Winnie was there to keep up morale and get everyone through that terrible time. The Brits never gave up, which is remarkable considering what they endured.

And, Welsh families fostered many children who were evacuated from London for safety. Did you ever hear stories about them when you were growing up, Yonuh?

#207510 - 09/08/10 03:14 PM Re: In London Today [Re: Lola]
Mountain Ash Offline

I know that Welsh families were hosts to these children and mother.In my town Londoners were evucuees also..they grew up along side my older uncle A tad old for me to remember then..one man stayed due to having no one and no home to return to.

#207518 - 09/08/10 05:56 PM Re: In London Today [Re: Mountain Ash]
Lola Offline

I suppose many evacuees stayed much longer after VE-Day because there was nothing to come back to in London but rubble. Most of the evacuees in Wales also worked in the coal mines being that the country needed the workforce as well as supply during and after the war.

There are so many Blitz memorials in London. John Lewis has a plaque on the Hollis entrance stating that the current building was erected on the site of the old one which was razed to the ground at that time. I live in the Borough of Greenwich and the Thames' side was also laid waste by bombing because the Artillery Barracks used to be based there.

BTW, I cannot wait to see the St Ninian's Parade on telly next week. The report we got from our counterpart up there is that all those named Ninian (of all ages) were invited to participate in the parade.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved