The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 195 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#206952 - 08/18/10 09:54 PM Barnes & Noble in trouble...?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
It's hard to believe Barnes & Noble would fall so far so fast.
That was as solid as Mt. Rushmore at one time. Geese!!!

#206961 - 08/19/10 11:14 AM Re: Barnes & Noble in trouble...? [Re: jabber]
MustangGal
Unregistered

I've always thought B&N to be rather high, considering you can order from Amazon or purchase from Books A Million at cheaper prices. Yet, it is hard to believe B&N's fall condisering they cornered the bookstore market 25 years ago.

#206963 - 08/19/10 01:04 PM Re: Barnes & Noble in trouble...? [Re: ]
jabber Offline

Hi Mustang,
I know. B & N stock apparently dropped from $45.00 a share
to $16.00 a share. I'm guessing the Internet disrupted book sales, as it has newspaper sales.

#206966 - 08/19/10 03:01 PM Re: Barnes & Noble in trouble...? [Re: jabber]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Personally, I prefer to shop at local bookstores, not the big chains. Same for everything I buy; I go to local stores first. I can find just about everything I need there. I only go to the big chains when I just can't find what I need at the local store. I do pay more sometimes for shopping local, but most of the time it isn't any more expensive, and I'm supporting the local economy. I even bank at a local credit union; I had so many problems with the big banks it just wasn't worth the hassle. When my Mom died, it took them 6 months to close her accounts. Every month they sent a statement with a service charge; every month I was at the bank to get the charge reversed and to close the account - again. And then they acted all bewildered and huffy when I moved my accounts, too! It just boggles the mind!!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#207000 - 08/21/10 01:40 PM Re: Barnes & Noble in trouble...? [Re: yonuh]
jabber Offline

yonuh,
I agree shopping locally is much wiser. I was commenting on
a news article that surprised me. I thought B&N was above
the fray. Guess not. Perhaps they had mismanagement at the top,
like so many businesses, which have crashed in recent years.
Don't know. But the Internet has taken a lot of focus away
from many enterprises, such as: the post office, the newspapers
and magazines, etc.

#207059 - 08/24/10 06:03 PM Re: Barnes & Noble in trouble...? [Re: jabber]
jakkom Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
The average American reads 3 books a year.

Obviously, most of us are pulling that average way up, LOL. B&N suffers from the same issue as most consumer retailers - the market is fracturing (as Boomers age and Gens X/Y/Millenials start families and buying homes) and the Internet impacts sales.

For instance, I no longer read the local paper, except for a stray article or two every couple of months. I read on-line almost exclusively. I'd rather pay for an on-line WSJournal than a hard copy. I can search archives, send articles around via email, and avoid advertising almost entirely.

We bought a Kindle and my new netbook has the Kindle for PC software. Love it! There are books just not worth buying; I can search most of them on amazon to see if it looks worth reading, and buy it for less in e-book format. Now I buy more books I really want to keep and reread, rather than dozens I end up donating to the local library.

I'm a Boomer but shop more like a Millenial. I hardly ever walk into a bricks and mortar store any longer. So much easier to pop off to amazon and order it for 2-day delivery. If the grocers ever perfect on-line shopping I'll use that too, but when I tried it, it wasn't a success - too many substitutions or missing items, the 'personal shopper' can't adjust for stuff out-of-stock or on sale.

We actually go to B&N more often now, but that's because they teamed up with Barclays for a Mastercard that offers gift cards as point rewards. We are in the four-figures for redeemable gift cards and use up every one of them.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved