The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#123798 - 07/18/07 05:08 PM Snopes...?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
bws'ers,
Any of you gals ever looked at Snopes.com? A few days back I got an email that went something like this. "The mold that forms in outdated pancake mix can cause a deadly allergic reaction in some people." Now where Snopes.com gets their information, I haven't a clue. But according to the survey on that site, the email warning I received was TRUE! Snopes.com has all kinds of info, if anybody wants to take the time to check it out.
Ciao for now,
bonnierose

#123799 - 07/18/07 06:03 PM Re: Snopes...? [Re: jabber]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Hey, BR. Snopes is a pretty highly respected watch dog and does a good job of seperating fact and fiction.

Thanks for the reminder. I haven't visited much, myself, lately.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#123800 - 07/18/07 08:17 PM Re: Snopes...? [Re: Anno]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I get so much of that crap in the mail from my email friends and it amazes me that they don't check with SNOPES first before they send it. And when I show them that the "rumor" or email is FALSE, some of them have actually replied, "So? No harm done. Its only an email. I'm not writing everybody back and telling them any different. Its no big deal."

Well yes it is. It is called being responsible for your actions. I have a REAL problem with people who take this attitude. It lets me inside their REAL personality, if you know what I mean.

SNOPES is great. I love it.

#123801 - 07/19/07 02:31 AM Re: Snopes...? [Re: jawjaw]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I'm always getting those things too, although it has subsided considerably lately. The first time, I'm polite, and send the snopes link only to the sender. The second time, I send a polite note to 'reply all' and refer them to the snopes link. There is rarely a third time, but if there is, I'm not so polite. There is never a fourth time!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#123802 - 07/19/07 11:18 AM Re: Snopes...? [Re: yonuh]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Most of those emails are false. I'm sick of getting them myself. I've usually already heard it. If I haven't and I want to be sure, I check with Snopes. Then I let the person who told me know. I also wonder why someone just sends an email about poisnous lipstick or an email virus around to dozens of people without even knowing if it's true. It's a waste of time. A lot of those are also tracking devices. I do not pass them along.

#123803 - 07/19/07 01:13 PM Some things are good to know... [Re: Louisa]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
bws'ers,
There are things you learn via a few of those emails, you might otherwise have NOT known. I guess a young boy died from eating pancakes made with old batter mix. Who would've thought? Snopes says it's true. The mold formed on old box mixes is toxic to certain people. Oh, well. I'm grateful to know about Snopes.com; before that email, I wasn't aware it existed. You folks are way out in front of the information curve. Love it!!!
Ciao for now,
bonnie rose

#123804 - 07/19/07 02:36 PM Re: Some things are good to know... [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
bonnie, I love how you address us. It's certainly better than being called bs'ers. Ha.

Thanks for the pancake tip. We rarely eat pancakes due to the whole diabetes diet in this house so it's quite possible we could have boxes of old pancake mix sitting around. I'll have to tell my daughter because I know she has some at her apartment.

#123805 - 07/19/07 05:50 PM Re: Some things are good to know...
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Here's a P.S. from me Bonnie. The day you told us about this, I checked and had some "outdated" pancake mix. Into the trash it went...immediately! You did a good thing!

#123806 - 07/19/07 10:50 PM Re: Some things are good to know... [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Me too Bonnie, Thank you. I always pass these kinds of things along. Hopefully they aren't true but what if they are and I kept the info to myself, and someone I cared about DIED? I'd rather take the chance of a small annoyance to someone reading an email that was a hoax, than having to send a sympathy card later...

I have a hoax police, her name is Queen JJ...and she is quick to correct any email I send that is a hoax...

I appreciate anyone who cares enough to pass on what might be a threat to me or my loved ones. Keep 'em coming....

Oh and I referenced what they meant by "outdated." and they said anytime after 3 months. So I suggest you simply buy smaller boxes in case you go past the 'sell by' date. I personally like ones already mixed in the carboard cartons, they last a good long while in the fridge...
Aunt Jemima signing off...

Edited by chatty lady (07/19/07 10:58 PM)

#123807 - 07/19/07 11:02 PM Re: Some things are good to know... [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Chatty, you are too funny! I agree with what you said, too. The cardboard ones last a lot longer. Mine was left over from when THE SON last lived with me, so I knew it was overdue to throw away, even without looking since he's been gone a bit. But great advice.

I might add that if you bookmark SNOPES, you can easily check something BEFORE you send it out and just verify that it isn't a hoax. It might save you some email time. Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved