The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 167 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#54040 - 04/16/06 05:44 AM Homosexuality and society's reaction.
MSInvestigator Offline

Loc: Missouri
As an investigator I probably come across many more same sex couples than the average person would. I am always shocked by the reaction society has to these couples. Let me explain why. I do not see this segment of the population commiting the senseless hate crimes that other groups often do. What I do see in the majority of cases, are some really nice people who just want to be accepted as people. I do not and will not ever understand what the big hassle is about same sex marriages. Oh, I know all the bible thumpers say it is against god's law, but so is inter racial marriage according to some faiths and so is inter faith marriage according to others .This sement of the population does not try to push their beliefs or lifestyle on anyone. So why the big deal on this issue? can any one give me some insight?

#54041 - 04/16/06 05:45 AM Re: Homosexuality and society's reaction.
MSInvestigator Offline

Loc: Missouri
Sorry spelling is gone tonite for some reason lol

#54042 - 04/28/06 08:47 PM Re: Homosexuality and society's reaction.
designergrl Offline

Loc: North Texas
I-G-N-O-R-A-N-C-E, MS. Nothing but. And FEAR of the unknown.

I've always been a "question authority" kinda gal, and must've been born with an Open mind. Because it really is very simple. people are, and want to be and deserve to be loved...no mater who they are. But if you try and convince someone or end up shaking their perceptions of reality, they get scared.

T o have anyone question anything about the Bible is scary to some. I used to drink and do drugs and questioned the sexist language in the AA big book and it upset tremendously a member whne I shared at a meeting one time...with me saying that maybe one could explore Alternative means of getting sober if AA did not work. Boy did *I* get it. (which was inappropriate in a meeting.)

Two days later that person got drunk and has stayed that way. I've been sober 15 years now.

The world is wild and mysterious and amazing place and I intend to explore it all and be Open to whatever new expereinces it throws my way.

But that's just me. ;0

designergrl (a lesbian)

#54043 - 04/28/06 10:38 PM Re: Homosexuality and society's reaction.
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I could tell you so many wonderful stories of the generosity and kindness I've found in my many gay friends. Through all of my hard times, my bouts of depression, post-suicide recovery, every step of my journey, the people who have been the most faithful and who have never given up on me are my gay friends. My husband was very anti-gay when he and I first met. But after meeting and spending time with some of my gay friends, he too now embraces them and welcomes the ones who are couples into our home with open arms.

Nobody could EVER convince me that my gay friends aren't just as, if not MORE, beloved by God than I am or anyone else is. I've seen God's love shining through these friends, I've been loved back to life by their love, and will forever be grateful for their ongoing presence and friendship in my life.

We went to the gay marriage ceremony of one of my best friends last October. It was one of the most spiritually profound, dignified, lovely weddings hubby and I have ever attended. We love these guys as part of our own family.

Okay, enough ranting. Sorry. It wasn't so much a rant as a declaration of love and gratitude for these beloved friends of mine.

#54044 - 05/02/06 03:49 AM Re: Homosexuality and society's reaction.
maggie2 Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I too think that the problem is fear of the unknown. I know several gays and they are great folks. It's sad to see gays persecuted.

#54045 - 05/02/06 04:00 AM Re: Homosexuality and society's reaction.
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well I'll take a Gay person living next to me rather than a pedofile or child/wife beater or a serial rapist or az bigot....There are two absolutely wonderful, friendly and quite intelligent women living right across the street from me and they are in a Lesbian relationship. They keep it to themselves and don't try to force their views on anyone. They are welcome in my home anytime and we've shared many recipes and hearty laughter together.

#54046 - 05/02/06 05:10 AM Re: Homosexuality and society's reaction.
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Chatty,
You got that right . My daughter had a gay dance teach and I just loved him so much . He was so kind to her and patient and very kind to me.

Renee I just dropped in for awhile

#54047 - 05/02/06 12:00 PM Re: Homosexuality and society's reaction.
chowhuahua Offline

Loc: Dallas
I'll agree with the fear of the unknown...Alot of people that tend to be anti-gay change their tune when a member of their own family turns out to be "one of them". They can sometimes then become some of the most ardent pro gay supporters. I think it has to do with issues not really touching them....
The govt thinks they can regulate every aspect of people's lives & that just rubs me the wrong way. I've NEVER understood how two men or two women being "married" suddenly makes the union of John & Mary endangered. What does what I do in my own home have to do with what you do in yours?

#54048 - 05/03/06 07:52 AM Re: Homosexuality and society's reaction.
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
I agree about the fear that becomes present for some in the unknown. I struggle with the anger that this issue provokes in some. My spirit's lesson for the moment is working for someone who is very "righteous" and very very angry. I know that anger covers fear in many cases.

I have many gay friends, and frankly don't even think about it. It's not what defines them for me. It's as if they had red hair or something -- what does it matter if they are loving, kind people?

I read a great quote in the magazine Tikkun, which was excerpted from a book:

"Acceptance of gays in the church is not an endorsement of a 'lifestyle,' when that word is used as a euphemism for flamboyant promiscuity, but a response to the call of Jesus to welcome every human being into the full sacramental hospitality of the Kindom. This is not a compromise of 'standards' but is in fact a willingness to extend them to more and more human beings."

Amen.

#54049 - 05/02/06 08:03 PM Re: Homosexuality and society's reaction.
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
That's a wonderful quote, Casey. I printed it off and will keep it handy! I embrace the call (for Christians in particular) to nurture and grow within ourselves a willingness to stretch our hospitality to include more and more human beings.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved