The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 217 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#88433 - 09/16/06 10:38 AM Spinach and E. coli
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
If you have bagged spinach in your refrigerator, throw it away.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/09/16/e_coli_prompts_spinach_warning/

luv,
chick

#88434 - 09/16/06 11:28 AM Re: Spinach and E. coli [Re: chickadee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is very scary. I had E.coli poisoning this summer and it was no fun. Step away from the bagged spinach!

#88435 - 09/16/06 11:40 AM Re: Spinach and E. coli
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hello there, Early Risers! Just e-mailed my sisters on this, Chick. Thanks for the info as we are great spinach eaters. I presume frozen ones are okay?

#88436 - 09/16/06 01:05 PM Re: Spinach and E. coli [Re: Lola]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I am not a spinach eater, so no worry there. But, last night we went out to dinner and I hadn't even thought of that end of this spinach thing until we sat down. We went to an Italian restaurant. I usually order a dish that has spinach, but I order it without the spinach. I told my husband NOT to order anything that has that in it. The waitress came over and the first thing she did was inform us that they have NO spinach. Must be making an impact on restaurants. This particular place has several dishes with spinach in it. Frozen and canned should be okay, but then again I don't eat any of it. On the other hand, if you have any that is in a bag that you froze yourself (if you can even do that) toss it.

Louisa

#88437 - 09/16/06 01:26 PM Re: Spinach and E. coli [Re: Louisa]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
It's my understanding that frozen and canned IS NOT okay, UNLESS it is cooked. I'm assuming this is what you meant by your statement Louisa.

The only way it should be eaten is cooked. Cooking, according to this article, is the only way to kill the bacteria. So having it in a casserole would be fine, I would think?

JJ

#88438 - 09/16/06 03:06 PM Re: Spinach and E. coli [Re: jawjaw]
Louisa Offline

Cooking does not kill e-coli. What I meant was if you bought a bag of fresh spinach and froze it, throw it out. But, the stuff that comes frozen like Birdseye, etc. I think is ok. Why am I giving advice on cooking?

Seriously, everything I have heard on the news and what I do know about e-coli, DON'T use it. Throw it out. Cooking will not kill e-coli.

Louisa

#88439 - 09/16/06 10:49 PM Re: Spinach and E. coli [Re: Louisa]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sorry to burst anyones bubble here but 'thorough cooking' is the only way to kill E-Coli in a product like spinach. Frozen is okay if you've had it awhile and canned is cooked before it goes into the can. Pretty bad when something so healthy for us can be ruined by man....They said some sewer water got into the one crop. I still buy all my vegetables at the organic market but even they had to remove their spinach.

Edited by chatty lady (09/16/06 10:53 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#88440 - 09/16/06 10:56 PM Re: Spinach and E. coli [Re: chatty lady]
Louisa Offline

I ain't eatin' it, cooked, uncooked, or otherwise.
Louisa

#88441 - 09/16/06 11:01 PM Re: Spinach and E. coli [Re: Louisa]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sounds like a good idea at least for awhile. I know I swore of shrimp and most fish that came from the gulf near New Orleans after Katrina, with the dead bodies and sewage in the water, yuk!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#88442 - 09/17/06 02:32 AM Re: Spinach and E. coli [Re: chatty lady]
Pam R. Offline

My hubby is in the retail food business and all bagged spinach has been removed off shelves indefinitely. We also just got back from dinner with friends and all menu items that had spinach were replaced with mixed veggies. They are not even substituting frozen or canned. Better safe than sorry I guess. Spinach is my favorite veggie, always was!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved