The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 155 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#189715 - 09/11/09 03:52 PM Offensive language at events
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Last week we had an out of town male family member for a 10 day visit...it was lovely! One event we planned with a Jeff Dunham comedy show at our local university.

WHY do they HAVE to place vulgar, immoral "lingo" in these things? I was totally embarrassed.

Additionally, I called the local community theatre about an upcoming play. Again, we will be having out of town folks in October and wanted to take them. BUT, I emailed and asked about offensive language. Last play we attended, "On Golden Pond". was horrible. So much cussing etc. Needless to say, the next play, "The Odd Couple" will have the same content.

Gosh, there is almost nothing to attend anymore w/out some kind of immorality.

We are going to the Mariachi Conference instead. Hopefully it's appealing.

#189724 - 09/11/09 04:30 PM Re: Offensive language at events [Re: Di]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dropping the ef bomb is nothing to some in the younger generations. It's seeping in everywhere; books, movies, cable, heck, the local grocery store or mall. I've heard kids out in public on their phones, chatting it up and dropping the bomb. I'm good at giving dirty looks. I don't care if they use it with their friends, but don't use it in public with others around.

#189942 - 09/15/09 04:44 PM Re: Offensive language at events [Re: Dotsie]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
I totally agree. The language being used on TV is often very crude, and that trend is now being reflected in real life no matter where you go.

I'd especially love for us to remember who is around us when we are in public and speaking on cell phones. Some of those ears are mighty young.

#189979 - 09/16/09 08:21 AM Re: Offensive language at events [Re: Josie]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
The other day I was in a large department store. Two sales clerk were talking, and one of them was all huffed up about something. I was standing at the counter, and the angry clerk blurted out, " well fxxx him." (they use the "f" word in English here too.)...I turned around, and simply said, "You shouldn't use that word infront of your customers." He blushed and aplogised. I bet he'll never do that again. I think when Germans use foul language in English, they think they are being cool, just because they spoke an English word. I don't even think they really know what they are saying. duh. sick

#189980 - 09/16/09 12:19 PM Re: Offensive language at events [Re: Edelweiss3]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Folks, I used to take a bus daily into the suburbs where there was light industrial activity. Some of the folks were incredibly foul in language....and hence, mind-numbingly boring to hear...at 6:00-7:00 am. nearly daily. Such an inspiring way to begin the workday morning.

My attitude is frequent use of foul language, reflects a lazy (limited?) brain that doesn't want to expand and use a language vocabulary widely that doesn't need to be offensive.

Only in situations of great anger over great injustice/fear/rage/frustration, the occasional curse word is ok and a safe release valve for negative energy. So I'm not promoting to censor all curse words from any language off the face of the earth.

#190023 - 09/16/09 10:52 PM Re: Offensive language at events [Re: orchid]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I worked at the Seabee base in Gulfport MS and was standing in line at the base fast-food establishment. Two seamen were standing in line behind me and dropped the ef bomb...I turned around and asked them not to use that language in such a public place. They apologized to me but again...why does anyone think it's okay to say in a public place especially around women? I would like to say it's because they weren't taught but I taught my own sons not to curse around me (or any women) but I hear one son spewing out the most vulgar language around his fiance and other lady friends and the girls say nothing. I've had to ask him not to use that language around me and have gotten the smack that I'm 'controlling' him. It isn't about control..it's about respect. I wonder how he'll be when he has a child...I can bet you he won't be talking like that around them...or at least I hope not. Maybe one day he'll grow up in this area...he's 33.

#190027 - 09/17/09 12:59 AM Re: Offensive language at events [Re: Dee]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
They showed a short blurb on TMC featuring Octomom and some of her older kids, an adorable little boy maybe 2 years old was misbehaving. She sat him down for a time out, when he jumped up, slapped her across the face while shouting b-i-t-c-h... I nearly fainted not that bad language is something new to me, I know it well having been in the bar business, but my customers weren't mere babies...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#190042 - 09/17/09 02:14 AM Re: Offensive language at events [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

Hmmmmmmmmmm...wonder whom he heard it from.

#190054 - 09/17/09 08:19 AM Re: Offensive language at events [Re: Dee]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Dee, my youngest son used foul language too. He even seemed to get a kick out of provoking me with it. It was more or less a power game between us. At first I would react angrily and show him how it upset me. But that didn’t change his manners at all. Then I switched my angry reaction to a strict motherly tone, and spoke to him as if he were a little child (yes even when he was 29). He hated that. I admit, it took a lot of self control to react quietly and not angrily. But he couldn’t stand that demeaning mother tone. So he has stopped 'almost' completely, using those words around me. At the very latest, when children come into the picture, those young adults usually change their rebellious ways 360 degrees.

By the way, this was always a disputing point between Hubby and me. My husband never reprimanded how my sons talked to me. I hated that, because it looked like he was on their side, which made it even harder for me to be the disciplinary parent. Funny, now, both of my sons have said they realized how I had to fend for myself, and that it wasn't right that their Dad kept out of everything. Isn't that something? I’m so thank full that they now acknowledge how frustrating and very difficult it was for me to discipline them, for that very reason. Infact, I think it’s harder to discipline children with a ‘silent’ parent than as a single parent.

Yes, I agree, Orchid, I think it's a sign of limited imagination and vocabulary; maybe even insecurity.

Chatty, that’s a horrible story. I wonder where he heard that from too.

#190098 - 09/17/09 10:55 PM Re: Offensive language at events [Re: Edelweiss3]
Dee Offline

Edelweiss...I'm sorry you suffered with a silent partner...Larry is the same way with his kids...and that's why they have been able to walk all over him forever and a day...when he married me I was not silent and funny enough, the crap stopped. They no longer try to take advantage of him. I've often asked Larry why he never says anything to my boys, afterall he is their step-dad...but, Larry's just never going to do that and you're right...when he remains silent it's as if he's taking their side. I've told him more than once that saying nothing IS saying something. He just doesn't get it.
I hope you're right about kids finally getting it when they have children...then, maybe they'll realize a few things. It isn't about control...it's about showing respect. Two completely different things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved