The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#133964 - 12/06/07 10:40 PM Holiday Violence...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have been reading about the shooting that took place yesterday in that Omaha mall. I can't even fantom the terror those people felt, and the relatives who knew they had family shopping there. Imagine sitting at home or being at work and getting the news your loved one had been killed ramdomly by a disturbed young sniper, who then killed himself. I was wondering what you think, is this type of killing worse than serial killings or are they the same???

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#133965 - 12/06/07 11:25 PM Re: Holiday Violence... [Re: chatty lady]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
all the same...including killing in someone's name, such as a country, a god....
Casey
(simply my opinion)

#133966 - 12/07/07 12:26 AM Re: Holiday Violence... [Re: Casey]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I don't think any murder can be worse or better - just different in why they were committed. As a society, I believe we do a poor job of addressing mental health - here in the US, and from the little I know, around the world.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#133969 - 12/07/07 09:12 PM Re: Holiday Violence... [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Murder is murder.

Anno, I agree with you on the mental illness topic. I think anger management classes should be taught from a very early age. And with each passing grade, they should be addressed again with a more sophisticated curriculum as the kids age. If they learn what's appropriate from an early age, maybe they will think twice.

#133970 - 12/07/07 11:17 PM Re: Holiday Violence...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
He was only nineteen and his parents had thrown him out of the house a year earlier, I wonder if they couldn't have gotten him so sort of help before giving up on him? But I wasn't there so am no one to judge anyone. That is just so sad, for him, his parents, and the VICTIMS and their families. I can't even imagine what they are feeling.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#133971 - 12/08/07 01:33 AM Re: Holiday Violence... [Re: chatty lady]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I guarantee that it will be revealed that this young man experienced sexual abuse in his childhood. There is not enough help in this world! He said he did not want to be a "burden" and that he was a "disappointment." I actually have empathy for those feelings of despair. Women tend to turn their pain inward; men tend toward outward aggression. He did both. I believe he never learned what was appropriate or not. It does not sound like he had role models. Anger management in this case is like putting a band-aid on an amputated leg. His troubled mind and heavy heart went far deeper than anger. I also guarantee that his so-called parents who "kicked him out" exhibited their anger on him. The media says, "He was estranged from his step-father" like it was the young man's fault. Ok, how about, "The step-father was estranged from his step-son." I can imagine the feelings of worthlessness and abandonment and despair of this 19 year old. I can't imagine taking it out on others. There are so many victims in this terrible tragedy. There are many suicide prevention hotlines, websites, community programs, training, (even my mere website has signs of suicide to look for) but I tell you no one is listening! Yes, he got "famous" for killing. Do you think anyone would have noticed if one young man from one small town would have silently shot himself to death? Evidently, this boy was never noticed, not known, except in the most negative manner, and he did this to make himself known. What an awful way to seek attention. Perhaps he knew that no one would care if he died, so he shot others. Now we care. But no one would have made a single note if a single kid took a single shot at his brain on his own last sad day in December. I am so sad and mad about this.

Edited by Princess Lenora (12/08/07 01:48 AM)

#133972 - 12/08/07 02:53 PM Heartbreaking... [Re: Princess Lenora]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Life is sweet and sour. Life is wonderful and heartbreaking.
That's the way it is. I don't think anyone can understand
how another person feels, until they experience whatever caused the emotions they're poundering. Why people kill other people, is way beyond comprehension. Why people abuse another living creature, is way beyond comprehension. Go figure????

#133973 - 12/08/07 03:23 PM Re: Heartbreaking... [Re: jabber]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
It's true. We as sensible human beings try to make sense of senseless activities, and there's just no making sense of it. I know my post sounded more like a lecture than a contribution.

#133974 - 12/08/07 11:03 PM Re: Heartbreaking... [Re: Princess Lenora]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
its a fair point princess, tramu creates extreem strange behaviour some as you say just towards the self, bad enough and others include other people.
Thers an afule lot of stuff needing put to right in this world before thse types of events stop happening, are we trying yet?

#133975 - 12/09/07 01:05 AM Re: Heartbreaking... [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
While walking through the mall today with my son, I thought about the mall shooting and got chills. I'm sure many others across the country are doing the same.

We've had two shootings at our local mall. One teacher was shot and killed in the garage, and anothe rperson was shot inside the mall. I live in a very nice neighborhood. It's crazy, but since those shootings, I've often walked the amll wondering who had guns on them. I'm sure there are more than we care to think about. That's why I mnd my own business and speak pleasantly to others. Well, it's not the only reason, but it helps.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved