The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#103238 - 01/15/07 07:08 PM Happy MLK Day!
bamgibbs Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
This is the day the Lord has made, and what makes it special is for me to remember the ONE man who allowed me to live the life I'm living today.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Junior gave his life so that I might have a better one. I no longer have to sleep in separate hotels. I no longer have to drink at separate water fountains. I no longer have to sit in different sections at a restaurant. I no longer have to keep our head down when speaking to a white person. I no longer have to have less of an education than my white counterparts.

What I do have to do is to keep excelling in this life.
I have to keep the promise because many of Dr. King's life dreams have yet to be accomplished.

I need to start reaching out, reaching up, and reaching around to give someone the support they need.

This was put on my heart, to share with all of you.

I'm just a little girl from Canton, Ohio who still had a dream to make a difference like Dr. King.

It just takes ONE PERSON to make a difference. Do you still have a dream?

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly Mahone
Author, Whatever! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age
http://www.talk2bev.com
“We are Strong…We are Invincible…We are Baby Boomers!”
Live to be DRAMA FREE Seminars coming Soon!

#103239 - 01/15/07 08:08 PM Re: Happy MLK Day! [Re: bamgibbs]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Happy MLK day Bev. I enjoyed reading your post.
Dreams? I have many. Working on them as we speak.

chick

#103240 - 01/15/07 09:28 PM Re: Happy MLK Day! [Re: chickadee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks for sharing with us. He was one remarkable man and I am glad he's made a difference in your life personally. How cool it is to read that!

And yes I have dreams. I'm living them and working towards making more come true with the help of my Mighty Counselor.

#103241 - 01/15/07 09:34 PM Re: Happy MLK Day! [Re: bamgibbs]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
'I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality. I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.'
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Never forget, never turn back, never abandon the teachings of a great human being.

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#103242 - 01/17/07 06:08 AM Re: Happy MLK Day! [Re: Jeannine]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Happy MLK Day! I wish more young people would live by his words.

Poet and essayist

#103243 - 01/17/07 07:30 AM Re: Happy MLK Day! [Re: bamgibbs]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:

Do you still have a dream?

Funny, I dream alot, but I have no "dream." Maybe my dream skills are dormant. I blame that on ????.

I read recently in "Letter to a Christian Nation" by Sam Harris that MLK's beliefs were more like Jainism, an ancient philosophy of India, than Christianity. Thought that was an interesting observation made by the author.

#103244 - 01/21/07 12:55 AM Re: Happy MLK Day! [Re: gims]
chickadee Offline

gimster, you need to get a dream. Dream skills do lie dormant, that's true. A dream will liven up your life just a little more. Think about it and post if you come up with anything.
Happy Dreamin'

chick

#103245 - 01/21/07 03:19 AM Re: Happy MLK Day! [Re: chickadee]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
chick, one of my sisters and I have discussions about this very thing, regularly. We've both read book after book. Don't know if we have mindblocks, or what, but the dreams just aren't coming through... At least, not for me. I thought, even with Barbara Sher's help, I could get somewhere. Did it happen? Nope!
If anyone has helpful hints, I'm all ears (eyes, in the forum's case). I've threatened (yea, like I would threaten) a year long sabbatical, in hopes of finding me and what I "dream" want. DH thinks I'm asking for a separation. I CANNOT get it through to him the reasoning behind my needing to explore the world for ME... We've been together for going on 40 years (counting our high school promised years) and, because I went from my parents' home to his (so to speak), I didn't have the adventures some my age have had. I figure if I could get away from this stupid telephone and doorbell, I could possibly find the writer, artist, songstress, or something of equal value in myself. I'm living a Que Sara kind of life, if you know what I mean.
Hey, but thanks for cheering me on. That means a great deal.

#103246 - 01/21/07 08:11 AM Re: Happy MLK Day! [Re: gims]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Gimster remember you only go around once as we all do and this isn'tpractice, its our lives and if we allow it to be wasted then what? I have had to remind myself of that fact all too often. I remember saying to myself when I was 36 years old that there was something I was going to do BUT I could put it off until later, the next year came and went. Well 30 years later, haven't done it, and probably never will now. Wasted time is 'lost' time!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#103247 - 01/21/07 04:53 PM Re: Happy MLK Day! [Re: chatty lady]
Jane_Carroll Offline

gimster,

The book The Passion Test by Janet and Chris Attwood is a good one for helping to discover your passion and dream...

I have also come in contact with 'mindful questions' lately...just asking a question such as 'what would I truly like to do today' and then journaling the answer...can be helpful.

Working with a personal coach might be one thing to try...

And I think just being easy about it...everyone doesn't experience their dream in the same way...some people have a burning desire...and others just have a faint whisper as they go through their day...and listening to and honoring those faint whispers can lead us into the essence of our dreams in such a gentle, loving way...

I know you'll figure it out...A Year By the Sea by Joan Anderson...sounds like you...you might enjoy it and it might help DH understand as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved