The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 100 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#98745 - 12/09/06 11:15 PM Senior Power Wins
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Remember how I and several women took our pets to the Nursing Home and also had game night and parties and special contests for painting and even poetry writing and treats (goodies) night?

All went well for several years and everyone was thrilled until the new Administration came onto the scene. A rather youngish 40 something that stopped everything cold, dead in there tracks and we ladies were warned to stay away. WELL, low and behold, GOD stepped in, plus the familys of many of the residents demanding she reinstate our visits or they would be removing their loved ones to more thoughtful establishments.

I just got off the phone with Leslie as she asked me to call her, and she asked me if we might be interested in once again visiting the residents and offering the entertainment they so badly need.

She didn't tell me the real scoop, she just said SHE had been thinking and felt it did no harm. I said I would call her back within the hour with an answer. I called my nurse friend over there first and she gave me the real dirt, that the children of the residents threatened to remove their parents and write letters to the owners of the home.

I could have made her sweat but thats not me, so I called her back and we're in. Dec. 19th will be our big Christmas party and theres so much to do but I am so excited for the residents. I will be baking after all and shopping for gifts for everyone with three other friends. The community is so generous and always donates so many nice things.

I plan to give her credit for the party and having us back, I would rather have her as a friend and let the spotlight shine on her, she needs to be well thought of for her job. Me, I am just thrilled to be able to once again make the seniors smile their big child like smiles.....

Okay Hannelore I chopped this up, is it easier to read this way?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#98746 - 12/09/06 11:36 PM Re: Senior Power Wins [Re: chatty lady]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
It is unfathomable that someone in the nursing home business does not know how much good it does to bring pets there. Articles about these good deeds are everywhere. I'm glad the protest worked. Of course, it was all about money in the end, wasn't it.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#98747 - 12/09/06 11:39 PM Re: Senior Power Wins [Re: Saundra]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Absolutely Saundra, but the right people will benefit from it this time around and thats a good thing.

#98748 - 12/10/06 01:24 AM Re: Senior Power Wins [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Chatty,
You are wise beyond your years. How gracioius you are to let her glow. That is so you. And as your sweet heart said, it's about the residents and what will make them smile, not about who wins. Good for you! I can just see the smiling faces surrounding you and the pets that are brought there for their enjoyment. Bless you Chatty! And the other women who will be helping out. What a gift you are. I know...I can remember what it was like when Daddy was in a home. I said again, bless you!

#98749 - 12/10/06 02:06 AM Re: Senior Power Wins [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Chatty
Once again you are doing exactly the right thing. You know that it is not about you, but the people that you are serving. You have such a big heart! I love you for being you.

#98750 - 12/10/06 05:07 AM Re: Senior Power Wins [Re: Anno]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Although it sounds mean, the Administrator may just have been doing her job. Yes, the residents love the attention and need it, but it has to be done the right way for the protection of the residents and the people who volunteer. I hate to say it, but liability was probably what was behind it. And, yes, pet therapy is great for those who like pets. My first feature story was on Pet Therapy and I learned a lot about it and met two wonderful Irish Setters.

At the nursing home I work at (and we just had a perfect deficiency free state survey) we allow pets, but there are rules. There is a man who brings in his Greyhounds every week to visit. We also have Shayna, the little French poodle who belongs to our activities director. She is part of the place. The residents and staff love her. Great little dog. Has her own name badge even. But, they have to prove that they have had their shots before allowed to come in and visit residents.

Also, we have many wonderful volunteers. They must have a TB test before they can be volunteers in our facility. It's a state law. I think they also have to go through a Cori check as well.

Chatty, you mentioned bringing these people to your home. That would not be allowed except by family members. If you got in a accident while transporting them to or from or if they fell or coded while in your home, the NH would be held responsible.

If this is a skilled nursing facility that comes under the same laws, it may be why she put a stop to it, not just because she is nasty or mean.

Families can be difficult to deal with but they would be the first ones to sue the NH if something happened. They'd sue you too if it happened in your home.

I'm glad the residents have you and your friends back.

Louisa

#98751 - 12/10/06 05:27 AM Re: Senior Power Wins [Re: Louisa]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

You are probably correct on many points Louisa but the old administrstor who retired, had everything in place and we had the permission of the people in charge of the family member in the home. We did nothing else but bring them activities, fun, a shoulder, and friendship. We would do their hair and make-up for the get togethers. We never took anyone from the home without signerd consent forms and my girlfriend is the head RN there and she was always with us. Personally I believe I got as much out of these delightful people as they ever got out of me. Hopefully Leslie will come around once she feels more sure of her position. Thank you all for the kind words. I know you would all do the exact same thing if the opportunity presented itself..

Edited by chatty lady (12/10/06 05:28 AM)

#98752 - 12/10/06 06:40 AM Re: Senior Power Wins [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Chatty, I'm so glad you're able to resume all the activities. You're doing such a great service!

Poet and essayist

#98753 - 12/10/06 08:23 AM Re: Senior Power Wins [Re: meredithbead]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Chatty, that's awesome!

#98754 - 12/10/06 09:33 AM Re: Senior Power Wins [Re: diamond50]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

It's wonderful that somebody cares enough to offer these people some fun. The nursing home that my mother was at had a terrific program with a Christian grade school that linked up seniors with students. My mom had a lovely friendship with a little six-year-old who visited with her class every other month and they exchanged letters in between. The visits from that little girl would perk my mom up for weeks. (We visited on a nearly daily basis, but none of us are children!) That's one of the difficult things about retirement communities and nursing homes - so many of the little things we take for granted - getting outdoors (and not just on some sterile patio), the company of people of all kinds of ages, pets, and a change of view are so difficult to come by.

I really respect the people who work in the caregiving business - most of the ones I knew were very dedicated - but it's truly difficult to bring stimulation into a facility, and so sorely needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved