The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 211 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#53170 - 06/03/04 05:29 AM Our Troops
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Today, I had the privilege of honoring a young man on his return home accompanied by his twin brother from the war in Iraq. Unfortunately, he came home in a coffin. This has hit me hard because I knew his Mom and I knew him when he was small. His Mother is my sister in law's best friend, their children grew up together and went to school together. I hadn't seen them in several years, but I felt that I needed for myself to attend his visitation. I wasn't even sure if his sister and Mom would recognize me.
But my sister in law knew I was there, as well as my nephews and niece and my brother. Cheryl did recognize me and was glad that I came as I explained that I had come to support her as well as all of our troops. I was able to hold the hand of Jeremy's twin brother Jason, and I looked him in the eye and told him to please not believe everything that he heard through the media. There are those of us who do support them and do recognize the sacrifice that they are making and the changes that are coming about because they are there. I told him that I was proud of him and his brother as well as the ones that are serving all over the world. I looked at Cheryl and thought "there but through the grace of God, go I" Yes, I recognize that someday it could be me standing in front of a church full of people and accepting condolances while standing near a flag draped coffin. If sometime that does happen, I know will give the grace and the courage to face it, just as he has given my friend Cheryl that grace and courage.

Thanks for listening to me, I have four of our 5 children are involved in the military, my son is on a ship headed to Iraq even now. I am proud of him and every single man and woman who are serving our country at this time of need. If someone before them, had not sacrificed and given their lives on foreign soil, we would not even be where we are today. I thank God for them and for their courage, especially the Korean veterans who are largely forgotten, and the Viet Nam vets who were reviled and spit on and called "baby killers" when they came home. Again, if you know a Veteran, thank him or her, because of them we are able to live as we do, write what we want, vote for whom we want, and generally have all the freedom that many of the world do not have.

Sorry I ranted, just feeling something very strongly tonight due to Jeremy's death.

Thanks for your support,

Sherri

#53171 - 06/03/04 05:39 AM Re: Our Troops
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Sheri,
I am so proud of your four children in the military and your son who is on a ship headed to Iraq. We too are proud of him and the men and women who serve our country. I'm thankful for those before them who sacrificed sometimes with their lives for freedom.
I too, am thankful for their courage, and their service. Our military is why we have the freedoms we have and I am grateful that they are protecting those freedoms.

I will keep you and your children in my prayers.
smile

#53172 - 06/03/04 10:37 AM Re: Our Troops
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Your relating of the story was so moving. I too am very thankful for all those who put themselves in peril because of their willingness to support MY freedom. I was an Army nurse who served at Walter Reed during Vietnam. I will never be able to forget the guys who came home maimed in mind and/or body. That unpopular war took away the respect and gratitude that those boys deserved. Never should that happen again. I can't imagine your fearful thoughts for your children. Please let them know how greatful we all are. Tell me more about them - who and where they are?

#53173 - 06/04/04 07:07 AM Re: Our Troops
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Sherri, thanks for the reminder we often need to hear as we sit safely in our homes while others are fighting for their and our lives.

I admire your bravery, courage, and faith. [Wink] Your children must come by it naturally. You obviously set a good example. [Wink]

God bless your children! Please tell us more. I'm addidg Jeremy's family to my prayer list.

#53174 - 06/04/04 03:38 AM Re: Our Troops
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
To all those who are interested or have or have had someone in the Armed Forces, I offer this poem.

A Tribute

In recognition of our heroes
who have fought and died for us
on foreign soil.

To those of World War 1,
which has only been a
history lesson for me,
you fought to make the world
a safer place.

Soldiers of World War 2,
I salute.
You fought in another country,
for a free world.

Korean Veterans, thank you.
for fighting in a war
that is largely forgotten,
unless a loved one fell there.

Men and Women, who served in Viet Nam,
I respect and honor your contribution.
You stayed the course,
even knowing you would be spit on,
and called ‘baby killer’
when you returned home.
Thank you for doing the job
you were asked to do.

To those who are serving,
and dying in the middle East,
I send you my prayers.
You are volunteers who have
largely left homes, families
and jobs to be in the midst
of a “Storm.”
You are doing the right thing,
despite what the media say.
Serve with honor and dignity,
as did the ones that went before you.

Thank you to all veterans
and our current military men
and women who are serving
with pride, all over the world.

Copyright © May 2004 Sherri L Smith

#53175 - 06/04/04 04:37 AM Re: Our Troops
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
So Very Beautiful.....and Amen

#53176 - 06/07/04 09:31 PM Re: Our Troops
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Sherri:
Thanks for sharing such moving story and a beautiful poem. It's true that we sometimes take things and freedom for granted. We don't always show enough appreciation and/or respect for what we now have. We don't show enough respect, gratitude and appreciation for those who valiantly served. We do need a reminder now and then. I pray constantly for those in harms way, bravely serving their country so that we may continue to enjoy the freedom that others only dare to dream of. My father was a veteran, although I know little of his service. My brother served in "Desert Storm". And I have several relatives currently active in the military. My cousin just got back from Iraq. May God bless you and your family and all our troops, wherever duty calls them. And may we no longer take anyting for granted.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved