The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 114 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#189137 - 08/31/09 02:47 PM Grandchildren and education
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I was able to sit with my oldest grandchild this past weekend. Some of our usual questions came up, like, "how was school this week," "anything exciting going on in your life," and "how are your goals, anything new there?" The conversation rolled into "what do you plan to do with your life" at one point. She threw a few of her ideas my way, and me loving debate as I do, I challenged her selections (remember, I've been involved in this grandchild's life closely and for her entire life --- I know her well). While questioning her choices, without discouraging her, I started questioning myself... the most important that came to mind was "how does one get a well rounded knowledge of what the world is all about so a wise choice can be made?" Mind you, I'm talking about a 14 year old, and also thinking application for that age and younger. She is well rounded, but in a 'local' sense. She hasn't been 'exposed' to life, as the unprotected are.
I feel like I'm asking a group of well rounded women, and hoping to get some ideas. We have to think in a safe, as well as an economical, fashion - no sending her off to Brazil, or finishing school. Have any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

#189177 - 09/01/09 10:31 AM Re: Grandchildren and education [Re: gims]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Gims, I know in Boston there were international clubs for families. It was an exchange of cultures and getting to know one another. Maybe there is something like that near you. Documentary movies from different countries is also a good way to expand the knowledge. Mabe even renting DVD's about a country...like make a theme day; Getting to know Scotland, etc.
When your grandchild is older they offer fantastic learn by rail programs for teenages in Europe. They are unbelievably cheap, and very well organised.

Here are some links I just came up with:
Younger Teens Taking Exotic Trips
Adventure TravelJobs Worldwide
And last but not Least:::
Youth hostels in Germany

#189190 - 09/01/09 02:44 PM Re: Grandchildren and education [Re: Edelweiss3]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I heard on the radio today that pre-kindergarten kids are being taught FRENCH.

I won't give my thoughts on this because I don't want a debate on this language versus another one, but I will say that at first I was annoyed by this, then after careful thought, I realized what a great opportunity this is for youngsters to learn another language. It also uses a different part of the brain and opens up those cells for learning. So...what about having her learn another language?

#189209 - 09/01/09 05:02 PM Re: Grandchildren and education [Re: jawjaw]
gims Offline

JJ, she's taking Spanish. She is a freshman in high school this year and foreign language is one requirement. I wish she'd chosen Latin, but Spanish should serve her well. In her school caucasian and black have become a combined minority. Seems strange to imagine that, knowing the logistics of the area, but stats support it. I assume they are bussing in from the skirts of the city.

EW, I'm going to search out some programs similar to the ones you mention. There are bound to be other parents and grandparents wondering the same thing as me. I'm wise enough to know and understand how a limited education (in terms of knowing and understanding what goes on outside your own little bubble) can bring you limited success.

Two of the things she mentioned wanting to be would take so much more exposure to life than she's getting (she lives a very protected life). She's not even getting basic exposures.

It was different when our girls were in high school. There was still a battle going on with certain ways of thinking. That door has been as good as blown off its hinges. Scary and exciting at the same time. I want to be as much help as possible for my grandchildren when they walk through that doorway, if they choose to. On the otherhand, I'll encourage them even if all they care to be is a babysitter (lol, I say this because once when we asked our youngest what she wanted to be when she grew up, she said 'a babysitter'). Either way, I want them to be well rounded - knowing as much as they can about as much as possible. I realize just how 'ignorant' I was growing up and still am. If I can, I hope to enfluence a different way for the seven of them.

I keep thinking how limited I was by what I knew... it's one thing to know and not use; quite another to not know.

#189217 - 09/01/09 07:32 PM Re: Grandchildren and education [Re: gims]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Quote:
Two of the things she mentioned wanting to be would take so much more exposure to life than she's getting (she lives a very protected life). She's not even getting basic exposures.

Are you able to share what it is she wants to be, Gims?

#189219 - 09/01/09 08:19 PM Re: Grandchildren and education [Re: Lola]
gims Offline

Don't mind at all... she might,lol, but if I do, it is sure to help each to understand where I'm coming from. Might even help others in mentoring their own grands.
But please remember she only turned 14 this summer, is female (only saying this because hormones are kicking in with no mention to the effect/affect), is impressionable, and there is no telling what she's been fed, or what she is serious about, coming from being asked the question (what do you want to be when you grow up?) a million and one times throughout her short life.
1. U.S. Marshall - her number one choice and what she kept coming back to - this she has chosen, thinking she can bring the bad guys 'in'
2. President or Vice President - her comments regarding this revolved around her being able to make 'things right'
3. When I contested the two above, she came up with FBI agent, at which time my heart couldn't take anymore.
4. When she saw the effect that had on me, the WNBA came up... I started probing, not asking if she was able (we all know the answer to that -> you can do what you put your mind to), but if she would really enjoy it, or if she was mostly thinking about the fame, possible fortune.
5. That's when the conversation turned to modeling, at which time I thought I'd give her a break and make us something to snack on.

Some of what is listed are not what a typical teen of 14 would answer. Some are. I just want her (and my other 6) to have what it takes to make good, sound choices... not have to try on things for fit (like I did, never finding what was 'right')... know what I mean. A certain amount of trying on is natural, and expected. But, going in knowing what is apt to be the best fit seems to be a good step in a productive direction.

#189234 - 09/01/09 10:15 PM Re: Grandchildren and education [Re: gims]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Your granddaughter is sweet!

Does her school offer "Career Days" where folks from various professions and trade give a talk as to how they come into their respective positions?

No. 5 surely brought a smile.

#189242 - 09/02/09 11:05 AM Re: Grandchildren and education [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
It sounds like your grandchild is looking at all of the possibilities for her life and when asked, she rounded them up in one conversation. She is probably looking around and imagining herself in ALL of those roles in life. How cool is that? I love how she runs the gambit from one thing to the other. Good for her!

Might I ask what YOU believe to be her passion? Or her talent? Or both? Is there one thing she always seems to come back to? Like history, or athletics, or art, etc???

#189249 - 09/02/09 02:41 PM Re: Grandchildren and education [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Gims, how I wish someone talked to me like you do with your granddaughter. I can’t recall anyone really seriously caring about what career I should take. It’s really too bad, because I think I missed the boat. In hindsight, if someone had guided me to get into the arts, like photography, stage setting, and/or writing…my life certainly would have been more fulfilling for me. What a good grandmother you are.

#189288 - 09/03/09 01:04 AM Re: Grandchildren and education [Re: jawjaw]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: jawjaw
It sounds like your grandchild is looking at all of the possibilities for her life and when asked, she rounded them up in one conversation. She is probably looking around and imagining herself in ALL of those roles in life. How cool is that? I love how she runs the gambit from one thing to the other. Good for her!

Might I ask what YOU believe to be her passion? Or her talent? Or both? Is there one thing she always seems to come back to? Like history, or athletics, or art, etc???

Since she is 14 already, she might already sense in herself if she has a passion/natural talent. By that age, I already was deep into art and poetry ...not that I've made a living from either but for certain love of writing and wordsmithing led me to my univerity degree in English Lit.
What are her academic strengths so far?
Does she participate in school clubs, acitivities? (I was in an art club, helped spaint stage set design for several operaettas and plays, was high shcool yearbook editor, etc.)

That's great she is taking a foreign language. It just develops a vague awareness of seeing the world structured thorugh a different language, also Spanish is a much more poetic, emotional language compared to English.

I'm intrigued she wants to get at the bad guys/gals..like seeing the world in black and white. If she is naturally strong in sciences , there are careers in forensics.. She would benefit from debate/discussion on social issues and problems. Would she have a natural skill/gift/patience to show younger children?

It would be good that her activities /passion put her in contact with kids her age from diverse socio-economic backgrounds. Are her closest friends, have similar backgrounds like herself? You can't change that but can only suggest activity/venues that will expand her world.

ANd most certainly I would weave in fun physical activity/sport now. Teenage girls need encouragement in this area..even if it's just a walk/hike.

Give her anything readable that wil tap into her passions. THe more she reads, the better. Start with New York Times or Washtington Post, newspapers with strong international focus. Local papers..sorry are local..and homey. She's not too young for this. The writing styles in the international based papers are more complex and will challenge her to think/ponder..if she wants.

But have fun, you're her grandmother after all.

I'm having problems with this internet connection. Am at a hotel in Oregon. Sorry for typos since the text screen bobs up and down on me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved