The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 143 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#86272 - 08/26/06 12:44 PM Grandmother Showers
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I thought I posted this before, but it never showed up so I will try again.

Has anyone ever heard of anybody having a baby shower for grandmothers? After seeing all the new stuff that's out there and realizing all the things babies need these days, I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea. I live in a condo. I barely have room for my own "stuff." My daughter says I don't need to have a crib here, she will bring the pack and play thing. I'm sure I will need to have Pampers, extra bottles, pacifiers, a few outfits and toys. I'll need toys to keep her (or him) busy. I have already started buying books for the baby. I feel it's important that I read her all the classic fairytales and my book too of course. I'm also told that those little things that warm the baby wipes is a must have. When I mentioned this brilliant idea to my daughter, she asked who I am thinking of coaxing into giving me such a shower? Good point. I guess it would be the first of its kind, but stil not a bad idea. It would be tacky to add a line to the invitations to her shower saying, "please bring a gift for the new grandmother." I think Babis'R'Us should have a special registry for Grandmothers. They could call it Grandma's R Us Too.

Louisa

#86273 - 08/26/06 12:48 PM Re: Grandmother Showers [Re: Louisa]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I think it's a wonderful idea, brilliant in fact! I don't know how you can coax others to get excited about the idea, but once it catches on, it will probably become a new tradition. When our granddaughter was born, we had nothing in the house for her when she came to visit. We had to go out and buy toys, special dishes and activities for her to do. I really love the idea of a "Grandmother Shower" and may just surprise someone with one in the future!

(Maya Angelou)

#86274 - 08/26/06 01:07 PM Re: Grandmother Showers [Re: Eagle Heart]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Louisa, I love that idea! Maybe you could talk one of your friends into doing it or offer to throw a shower for one of them.

My grandson is 4, but I would recommend keeping the porta-crib at your house, even with cramped quarters. Your DIL will tire of lugging things here and there all the time. The parents have so much to carry around with them anyway. I bought a carseat and portacrib and it was very nice for them to just have to bring the diaper bag.

By the way, yesterday I took a vacation day and took him to a water park. WE had a great time, but by the end of the day, I was ready to get away from the screaming kids.

laurapoplin.com

#86275 - 08/26/06 01:15 PM Re: Grandmother Showers [Re: Daisygirl]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
A carseat is one thing hubby and I debated buying when our granddaughter was first born. Her parents talked us out of it because they were afraid we wouldn't buy the right one (duh). But we've constantly regretted not having one, because there are many times when we've wanted to take her out somewhere but couldn't because the carseat was in her father's car at work.

I can't convince hubby to buy one now, but looking back, it would have made a big difference in how often we were able to take her out on spontaneous (and therefore exciting-for-her) day trips. I'd strongly recommend getting one for your car if you plan to want to go anywhere with your grandchildren.

(Maya Angelou)

#86276 - 08/26/06 01:18 PM Re: Grandmother Showers [Re: Daisygirl]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I just knew this was a good idea. Our other two grandchildren are my husband's kids. One is 13 months and the other, 2 months. They don't stay here. They have their own mothers and MIL's to use. When they come, they don't need much. But this one is my daughter so they will be here a lot. I probably won't be having the baby in my car much at all, but I was thinking I might get the base to the car seat installed just in case we need it. Most of the babysitting will probably be me going to their house, but I still need "stuff." Wednesday, we'll know if it's a girl or boy. I can't wait to go shopping.

Louisa

#86277 - 08/26/06 01:54 PM Re: Grandmother Showers [Re: Louisa]
Pam R. Offline

Our new granddaughter is only 3 months. I did go out and buy a pack n' play porter crib and keep it up in a spare bedroom. I also was given a car seat from my SIL (had to have my daughter's approval on the kind and regulations!!) and also a bouncy seat to keep at my house. The crib is what comes in most handy. She comes with only the diaper bag which makes things a lot easier.

As far as a Grandma shower, sounds nice!! I was lucky that many friends and relatives gave gifts for the baby and had a little thing wrapped for me saying that a "grandma needs things too!" So, it worked out well. Then, my bday was just before the baby was born and my daughter and son in law surprised me with a large tote filled with wipes, diapers, creams, bibs, toys, books, receiving blankets and teething rings. It was the best birthday gift I have ever gotten! They had the tote embossed with the name GRANDMA on it!

#86278 - 08/26/06 05:51 PM Re: Grandmother Showers [Re: Pam R.]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I love this idea. Grandchildren spend so much time with grandparents these days and how wonderful to have everything you need to help the parents and the child feel right at home.
How about the mother throwing the shower? Or the father? It might be a great time for the new father to get involved.
Ann

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#86279 - 08/26/06 06:40 PM Re: Grandmother Showers [Re: Anno]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Louisa: I have been hosting grandmother's showers to close friends for the past four years. We do a new and "hand-me-down" sort as some items can be very expensive to purchase. Many items are almost like new as grandchildren do not stay in them for that long. I am a grandmother of two (6 and 2), with a third expected in late October. Grandkids spend a weekend each month with me at home and, apart from childproofing, my house also needed to be kitted out with high chairs, cots, potties, toys and outdoor activity centers, children's books, spare teats and bottles, children's beakers, spoons and plates much like they have at home. The car, too, had to be fitted with car seats as well. The spending spree continues because they grow up and it becomes necessary primarily for the grandchildren's comfort and safety. Our grandmother's showers also end up with the celebrant going away with dozens of knitted booties, caps and cardigans from the knitters!

#86280 - 08/26/06 07:57 PM Re: Grandmother Showers [Re: Lola]
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
I think it's a wonderful idea.

I googled it and found this website which looks like it has good ideas.

http://www.mamabebe.com/grandparentgift.html

Donna

#86281 - 08/26/06 08:33 PM Re: Grandmother Showers [Re: 49erDonna]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

This is so funny. I don't have any grandchildren yet, so when I first read it, I thought, they don't need all that stuff. Yet, here I am, with three granddogs, and I already have dog dishes, spare dog food, spare leashes....

My mother had a crib at her house, a high chair, and a variety of other items when our kids were small, and she didn't even usually babysit! The stuff still came in handy when we were over there visiting, boy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved