The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 139 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#52368 - 12/14/05 10:17 AM Have you ever moved to be closer to them?
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Ok,a friend has gently mentioned that, if she were in our shoes with a grandbaby on the way, she'd move lock/stock/barrel to be an ever-present influence for the child. She will be moving closer to her four grandkids by next Summer.

Now I'm thinking........hmmmmmmmmm...

Of course, I'll do whatever DH wants. But we have to be nearly sure his DD will stay there! We are pretty sure since his DSIL has family there and they have good jobs.

Anyway, has anyone done this? Would love some thoughts!

#52369 - 12/14/05 06:25 PM Re: Have you ever moved to be closer to them?
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Di, I moved to be closer to my grandson, but it was only across town, not across the country. I don't like it here as much as my old house, but it makes it so much easier to be with my family. Also, I'm single and being close makes me feel less lonely and I do love my house.

Daisygirl

#52370 - 01/16/06 06:29 AM Re: Have you ever moved to be closer to them?
Scorpio115 Offline

Loc: New York
We've been considering moving many miles away to be closer to our son and his family. They are the only grandkids we have but not the only family. Leaving here would put just as many miles between our other son and my mom, and others. It would be trading one for the other even though the grandkids are a strong draw. But up until now, since we were still working, we couldn't move anyhow. Now that we're retired, we feel we have to make a decision and yet still can't. I don't know your situation but I can tell you this, there are times I don't want to get up in the morning and time is moving so quickly, I feel I'll run out of it.

#52371 - 01/16/06 08:54 AM Re: Have you ever moved to be closer to them?
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
Di......I was very lucky. My two dtrs. moved back here to Olympia. My oldest was in Vancouver, and was coming here evey weekend with our first grandson. She was so homesick!
Then the yougest married in San Diego and decided she was homesick also. Moved back home to raise the family she now has.
I remember that you posted on another thread, or maybe this one about asking if you should go see the new baby, and I told you my feelings that it's up to the Mom if you should go.
Well.........here I go again........has the Mom asked you and your husband to move to be close to them.
Again it's the new Mom, and baby that you have to consider.
Hope this doesn't put me on your bad side, but with the inlaws, the outlaws, and everything else, it's got to be hard on the new mom to be.
Lynne

#52372 - 01/16/06 09:26 PM Re: Have you ever moved to be closer to them?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Gone are the days of families all living in the same town. Sometimes I think I should have been born years ago. I like that idea.

Di, you mention a big point. The younger generation is faster to move than ever before. You could move there and they could move for a job, leaving you stranded. I'd definitely talk with them about it before I did anything.

#52373 - 01/17/06 02:22 AM Re: Have you ever moved to be closer to them?
writegirl1949 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I know I've been blessed by living in the same town as my daughter, grandkids and one sister. The truth is, both my sister and I moved all the way across country to be closer to my mom and step-dad. They're gone now but I think we're there to stay.

And I'll be back from this 3-year temporary move to Heidelberg in ... hmmmm, about 25 days. But I'm not counting, lol.

I agree with Dotsie ... wish things were like they once were. There's much being lost without extended family around.

Blessings, Francine

#52374 - 01/17/06 03:59 AM Re: Have you ever moved to be closer to them?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I was living and working in D.C. when my first grandson was about to be born. I had a deposit on a new home and pulled out of the deal when I learned of his expected birth. I then quit a very lucrative and powerfull position with a major newspaper and moved back to Las Vegas NV. I have never looked back and have spent countless hours (now years) with my grandson and two step grandchildren and I wouldn't change that for anything.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved