The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#51926 - 05/08/04 05:59 AM Small miracle
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Posting about my daughter's shower reminded me of a small miracle.

Before the birth of my first grandchild, I found a beautiful and very unique antique bassinette. Each of the babies has used it and it became kind of a family heirloom. When my daughter, Becky, discovered she was pregnant she immediately asked about the bassinette and we began looking for it. I vaguely remembered loaning it to someone, but for the life of me I couldn't remember who. We looked in the attic and called everyone we could think of and it was no where to be found. Becky was so disappointed.
One day she called in tears. She said she had looked everywhere for a pretty bassinette and couldn't find anything. She said she was just going to order a plain one from Sears for $250. We talked about how much it would mean to her to have 'our' bassinette for her new baby. I hung up also near tears, angry at myself for loaning the bassinette out and at whoever borrowed it for not returning it.
After we hung up, a prayer just entered my heart, "God, please help me find my bassinette." I forgot having prayed and sat quietly for a moment then for no reason at all, I just picked up the phone book and began calling antique shops. I called about twenty shops and no one had a bassinette.
Finally I called one which is more like a used furniture store in the small town near where I live and they said they had one that had never been used for $45.
I got in the car and drove downtown to look at it. The lady at the shop showed it to me. It was just like the one at Sears and she said her daughter had decided to use a cradle instead and had never used it. It was not very pretty, but it was $45 where the other one exactly like it was $250.
I said I would take it. As the lady prepared to take my money, she said, "Oh, I forgot, there's another one in the back of the store. A lady just brought it in from an auction."
She led me to a loading dock type area and pulled it out.
I couldn't believe my eyes. There was MY bassinette. Apparently whoever I loaned it to had sold it to someone who took it to auction. I still don't know who it was and it doesn't matter. I was amazed. It is unique so it had to be the same one.
It made me so happy to know that God answers even small not well thought out prayers. And he performs big miracles.
My daughter was so happy. We just couldn't believe we found OUR bassinette. I felt that God had given me the prayer and then answered it. What a wonderful God.
smile

[ May 07, 2004, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#51927 - 05/08/04 03:55 PM Re: Small miracle
Betty-boop Offline

Loc: Utah
Wow Smilenize,
That is a real account of a miracle if I ever heard one. That was a wonderful story. I'm sure your daughter will hang on to it now, and it can be properly passed down through the family (now with a wonderful story to accompany it)as each child grows up and starts their own family. SMile

#51928 - 05/08/04 04:37 PM Re: Small miracle
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
God still does answer prayers, whether big or small. Glad you found it!

Sherri

#51929 - 05/08/04 10:44 PM Re: Small miracle
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
What a wonderful story Smilin'...God is good.

JJ

#51930 - 05/09/04 09:19 PM Re: Small miracle
Betty-boop Offline

Loc: Utah
This story needs to be written up and submitted to woman's day magazine to be shared with others. It is a very touching story.

#51931 - 05/10/04 01:25 AM Re: Small miracle
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
That is my feelings also Betty, this is a beautiful story. Just another example of Divine Direction.

Sherri

#51932 - 05/11/04 07:10 AM Re: Small miracle
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
We all need to encourage smile to start submitting her work. She always pops in with these great ideas and stories, but isn't submitting right now. I say submit away smile!

#51933 - 05/11/04 12:54 AM Re: Small miracle
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Smilinize, if I really were your neighbor we would do more than walk together. I am a firm believer in WRITE and SEND, WRITE and SEND, WRITE and SEND some more. I am a nag, [Wink] yes I admit it and you my dear friend would WRITE and SEND or have a good reason not to. Guess what, there are NO good reasons not to WRITE and SEND when one is as talented as you are. [Frown] You owe it to yourself and the people that would be enriched by your words to WRITE and SEND...

#51935 - 07/01/04 05:50 PM Re: Small miracle
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Thank you speakermom for returning to that post today. It comes at a time when I needed it. Reading it again reminded me that God likes to hear from me even when my needs are small.
Maybe my father God feels about me the way I feel about my kids, only more. I love it when my kids need me even in small ways. When I can help them solve a problem it brings me great joy.
Maybe God likes to know we need him too. And maybe he likes to help us solve our problems sometimes in miraclous ways.
smile

P.S. I re-painted the basinette and decorated it with pink ribon and lace and it's darling, but my granddaughter has hardly ever been in it. Someone is always holding her.
As to publishing, I haven't the foggiest idea where to send something like that.
Dotsie has given me my only voice.

[ July 01, 2004, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#51936 - 07/01/04 06:02 PM Re: Small miracle
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Smiles, why not try sending it to Parenting magazines? There are a kazillion of them online, and pg Mom's read them, and wouldn't your story warm their hearts? I think so...

I bet there are some women in this forum that could help you locate some great resources for submittals...

JJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved