The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#165648 - 11/15/08 04:28 AM How to not "lose" them.
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I'm wondering if any grandmas out there still have great relationships with their grandkids, even into the adolescent and teen years.

Realizing that DH's little granddaughters are only 3 and 1, I got to thinking that I'd like to be the Nunna who maintains steady and open communication w/them even as they grow up. Who knows if DH predeceases me, they still may want to communicate with me. It's a lonely life w/out your own so I just was thinking!

Any ideas and thoughts?

#165650 - 11/15/08 08:03 AM Re: How to not "lose" them. [Re: Di]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
That's a good question Di. I think many grandparents drift way into the background as their grandchildren grow older.

I have to admit, I was no exception in my teenage years. But my grandmothers didn't give up on me. They continued to call, send me cards, presents for my birthday and Christmas. I remember one birthday, where my grandmother was the only one who sent me something, and it arrived on time. I will never forget that.

Later, as an adult, my grandmothers were more important to me. I had a very close relationship to both of them, and loved them dearly.

So, it is up to you to keep that fire going. Even if they should seem uninterested, that too will pass.

#165654 - 11/15/08 09:21 AM Re: How to not "lose" them. [Re: Edelweiss2]
Mountain Ash Offline

Di
my mentor in education was a second wife.Her husbands daughter WAS her "bonus" and after marriage a son in law then two grandchildren became her darlings.She talked easily about them and obvious to all they loved each other.loving the common tie is a bond and there as the songs says "Aspects of love"
Children are the future and our link with it.we treasure friendships so your ties with these family memembers is a golden gift.
My children are unmarried and ther are no little ones but I have a circle of wee people...things is they grow so quickly they become real friends...just younger.
One 15 year is to emigrate but may return to train in medicine and I'll be here..the bond is woven .
My friends Grandchildren let me hear the day to day things...sunday school children grow up before my eyes.
My husband and I speak about all these children often and his words are always.."children are so special"
Just as I have had my senior friends I see the children as part of my circle...
a teacher collegue works in our village school and was asked to spell my Christian name for a diary by my 7 year old friend Josh..he wrote about me as a friend just the same as he would a classmate..she herself adopted her two daughters and again I say
"Aspects of love."
Love,
Love changes everything:
Hands and faces,
Earth and sky,
Love,
Love changes everything:
How you live and
How you die

#165721 - 11/16/08 02:54 AM Re: How to not "lose" them. [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
EW and MA, what great replies. It's totally up to us to keep the love alive as the kids age. We have to understand how full their lives are and be happy for them when they are too busy for us. Sounds crazy, but it's true. Then they get older and come back around.

When my kids were teens, my MIL took the lack of attention too seriously and it made the kids feel awkward because they felt like they were constantly letting her down. Sad, but true. As adults, we need to suck it up and keep loving the heck out of them. They need it.

#165731 - 11/16/08 03:57 AM Re: How to not "lose" them. [Re: Dotsie]
Di Offline

I appreciate all the great input, ladies!

The hard thing is they live so far....five hours away. DH still says "I wish they lived closer". But we try to talk to Grace.....who is nearly 3. Ella just turned 1.

We want them to YEARN to come to Grandpa and Nunna's farm and see all the animals. Our desire is for them to know that there is more to life than blacktop, shoes and shopping malls. There's bugs, tumbleweed, sticker bushes, compost, manure, mesquite trees, dogs that are obsessed with throwing the ball over and over and over and over again!

Edited by Di (11/16/08 03:58 AM)

#165738 - 11/16/08 07:45 AM Re: How to not "lose" them. [Re: Di]
Mountain Ash Offline

Children compartmentalise..so will yearn...and forget.So keeping all the lovely things you share with them high on their threshold is important.
webcam perhaps..pictures certainly.Later whole summers..and soap..the way to a girls heart .
Set traditions now early.Have them back soon.

#165751 - 11/16/08 02:26 PM Re: How to not "lose" them. [Re: Mountain Ash]
Di Offline

Ok, so in summary....continue communications, make some "fun" during and between visits, show interest in their interests and LOVE!

Got it!

#165846 - 11/17/08 06:21 PM Re: How to not "lose" them. [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Your home/farm sounds like a little piece of heaven to me Di....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved