The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 120 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#162597 - 10/14/08 01:04 PM Holidays are coming
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I know many of the women in here spoil their grandchildren all year long, but especially during the holidays. Is anyone cutting back this year, and if so, are you cutting back on the grandkids?

I don't have any grandchildren, but I'm cutting back. However, I won't cut back on the little ones in my life, only the big ones. I don't know if I can really do this, but I'm thinking I won't buy for siblings this year.

#162605 - 10/14/08 03:44 PM Re: Holidays are coming [Re: Dotsie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Hi Dotsie,
We've been cutting back for a few years now. I used to buy for all the neices and nephews, but rarely heard a thank you, let alone that they even received the gift. Now that they are all out of school and adults, we don't send them gifts any more. (That's 13 less!)

The siblings on my side of the family have always exchanged "family" gifts, such as homemade goodies to share, a game for the whole family, etc. I believe we'll continue to do that.

The siblings on my hubby's side usually draw names, and that's still manageable.

For our own family, especially my hubby and I, we have talked about the fact that we don't actually "need" anything, so we have taken to gifting ourselves a little weekend getaway or concert tickets, etc. It's more about fun and memories now, instead of stuff.

When I get grandkids - - oh my, watch out!!

#162714 - 10/15/08 10:42 AM Re: Holidays are coming [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My one grandson will turn 18 in November, and he's the baby of the family. The other two are in their 20's and we don't exchange gifts anymore. I have no idea what an 18 year old would even want, esprcially one that has everything, including his own car...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#162716 - 10/15/08 11:56 AM Re: Holidays are coming [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Chatty, movie theatres here have gift certificates you can buy. Maybe two tickets would be a nice present.
Or a gift certificate at a fitness club...something along that line.

I'm cutting back for two reasons. One is a financial reason, since we have just started up our business after a year and a half rest, and the other reason is I'm sick of how materialistic Christmas has turned into.

In the past our boys really needed many things that they couldn't afford. But now they are adults with their own families, and we aren't responsible of filling those gaps anymore. I prefer giving a little present during the year anyway. As for our grandchildren, we are thinking of investing money in an insurance plan; ... although who knows how secure those are nowadays. The parents will be giving their children so many toys, as is. Sooo I rather surprise the little ones ... inbetween,... and not when they all ready have piles of stuff, and don't know what to open first. But then...I think I will buy Anaiya a doll...and of course doll dresses... and doll shoes...and little doll playoutfits...OMG...I can't help myself.

#162725 - 10/15/08 02:15 PM Re: Holidays are coming [Re: Edelweiss2]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Don't know what we're gonna do.
We started cutting back many years ago, because of the 'size' Christmas was getting... size, as in the stack of gifts being bigger than the 7 foot tree. Granted there are seven grands, plus others, gifts getting bigger as the kiddos grow, but it really got out of hand.
In lieu of giving gifts, we're thinking of taking each child on a special 'individualized' day trip - making it special for them in particular, then a small $$ gift card so they'll have something under the tree from us. Our girls and I decided we'd have no 'adult' exchange, at all... we concluded, when we do exchange gifts, we're actually just exchanging money, so why not save the energy, the time it takes to buy and wrap, say 'Merry Christmas,' have a glass of wine and just enjoy each others' fellowship --- that's where the meaning is, anyway.

#162727 - 10/15/08 02:17 PM Re: Holidays are coming [Re: Edelweiss2]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I too will be cutting back more (is that possible?). I will be purchasing things that make some sort of noise or perform some act for the grandchildren. After all, the first thing they ask nowadays is "what does it do?" How sad is that?

However, luckily, my grandbeauties loves jigsaw puzzles and books. Wonder where they get that? LOL! So I will be stocking up on both.

I have thought seriously about ordering like a "fruit of the month" or a gift certificate from Omaha Steaks or something along those lines for my sons and their wife/partner, because they enjoy good food and would really like that.

My mom I always try to surprise with something special. One year I got her a Shirley Temple antique doll because she had always wanted one but never got it. This year is going to be a tough one though. I did make her a coupon book one year that had things in it like "Good for one free vaccuming" and "Good for one free dinner out" and such...I might try something like that again. It was a big hit.

For me, I want my children and grandchildren around me. PERIOD. That's all I want. Okay, that and a night with Sam Elliott....which do you think I'll get?

#162761 - 10/15/08 06:15 PM Re: Holidays are coming [Re: jawjaw]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Chatty..is he in to computers??..then just give him money or a gift certificate to his favorite tech shop. He´ll do the rest..there´s ALWAYS something needed for computers..

Good luck anyway!!

PS..as most of you know..I am the mother of an 18 yr old..my last child of 5..and I love them..all of them.. today´s 18 yr olds, I mean..most of them..yes, they are spoiled..but show me an older generation that didn´t think the younger generation was spoiled??????

Today´s 18 yr olds..you can talk to them about everything..and I mean everything smile

Yes...they are spoiled..and it´s we the parents that have spoiled them..it´s not their fault. But scratch the surface..and you´ll find alot of lonely individuals that are dying for some attention and TIME..because their parents (and I guess I´m included here to some extent) have worked themselves into burnouts..diabetes..highblood pressure..fibromyelgi etec etc.

Just a thought, ladies..just a thought blush

#162762 - 10/15/08 06:16 PM Re: Holidays are coming [Re: jawjaw]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
JJ..definitely Sam Elliot..you´ll definitely get Sam Elliot!!! I just KNOW it!!! grin

Love ya!!! smile

#162766 - 10/15/08 06:20 PM Re: Holidays are coming [Re: humlan]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
what is it about Sam Elliott? if you analyze his features, one by one, there's nothing extremely appealing... but, put it all together and WHAM, what a specimen!!!

#162769 - 10/15/08 06:21 PM Re: Holidays are coming [Re: gims]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Oh girl...you're probably right, but give me an hour or so alone with him, and I'll let you know. All in the name of science, you understand...ahem.

Talk to meeee, Sam...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved