The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#143605 - 02/26/08 07:27 PM The grandbabies are coming..
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
...with their mother for a week!

We will pick up my step-daughter on Sunday, come back Monday, then her husband will come Thursday and all will return home on the next Sunday. Oh my!!!

Yes, we have plans....but any "warnings"..ladies? Remember: I've never been a mother so how do you be a grandma??

#143606 - 02/26/08 08:47 PM Re: The grandbabies are coming.. [Re: Di]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Bake cookies, tell stories, laugh and giggle with them...Remember you are always on their side. Give them smiles and little winks. Sneak a candy into their hands, treat them to an ice- cream, movie or a carousel ride. Don't know how old they are, but sometimes even a comic book can make you their friend for life.
Don't be disappointed if they are at first shy. Give them time, and let them set their own pace. But show a sincere interest in them, and they will be drawn to you.
Have fun Di! You love children, so you have already won half the battle!

#143607 - 02/26/08 09:53 PM Re: The grandbabies are coming.. [Re: Edelweiss]
Di Offline

Grace is 2 years and Ella is 4 months old.

I've got "plans" for a "Mystery Box"...with fun stuff inside!

Edited by Di (02/26/08 11:44 PM)

#143608 - 02/26/08 11:30 PM Re: The grandbabies are coming.. [Re: Edelweiss]
Di Offline

Quote:

Remember you are always on their side.

Not exactly sure what you mean by this.

I'm so afraid I'll want to "parent" them and then risk getting "in trouble" with my husband.

I think I have a disadvantage since I've never parented that I just want to "mother" someone...not have a clue as to how to "grandmother" someone!

#143609 - 02/27/08 01:06 AM Re: The grandbabies are coming.. [Re: Di]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
How about simply enjoying them for who they are. Grandomothers are full of love - unconditionally. And that's the best you can give them. You don't need to parent, just eat them up!

Enjoy.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#143610 - 02/27/08 02:13 AM Re: The grandbabies are coming.. [Re: Anno]
Di Offline

Just tonight I was talking to a friend asking her how HER mother is with her kids. She said, "I think this is funny that I am teaching YOU how to be a grandmother"! My friend is 14 years younger than I am.

This is really something I do not know how to do, ladies. Never got the chance to "mother", but women still come in and say "oh grandmothering is wonderful!". Well, guess what? I just don't FEEL any connection, know what I mean?

I imagine it IS simple to just "step in", but when you've never done any of it before, it's a whole new experience yet to be learned!

#143611 - 03/04/08 08:12 PM Re: The grandbabies are coming.. [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Di, its easier than you think. None of us was trained as to how to be a mother, let alone a grandmother, which are two very defferent entities. Just treat a child as you would anyone you loved and cared about. Its easier than it sounds. There are no handbooks out I know of, it just comes naturally. You may never have been a mom or grandmom, BUT you are a woman and those instincts are in all women. Nurturing is one our gifts from God, its inside us all.

Edited by chatty lady (03/04/08 08:14 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#143612 - 03/05/08 10:39 AM Re: The grandbabies are coming.. [Re: chatty lady]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
You are prob well into the week activities, but I'll throw this out there... children know when you are genuine and when you're not (most of the time anyway). They are like animals. Be yourself and love them for the little precious souls that they are. You'll do fine.

#143613 - 03/06/08 03:39 PM Re: The grandbabies are coming.. [Re: gims]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Di, just embrace them and be real. I'm sure you're doing fine.

#143614 - 03/07/08 04:14 AM Re: The grandbabies are coming..
Di Offline

Thanks, ladies. Embracing them will be the easy part. But since I've not really been around babies much, it's kinda scary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved