The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 199 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#48733 - 01/02/04 07:45 PM Emily Courtney
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Can everyone please add Emily Courtney to your prayers?

She is younger sister of a friend of mine. She's 26, has a 5 year old son,is pregnant with her second child, and has cancer. [Frown]

Emily got the news on Christmas Eve, which in my opinion was very poor practice for her doctor to call and give her that news the day before Christmas when she couldn't do a darn thing about it. [Mad]

She's currently going through testing and meets with her oncologist soon.

The very good news is that it's contained and hasn't spread.

Please pray for strength, peace, and courage for her and her loved ones. Pray too for the baby she is carrying.

Thanks so very much. I'll keep you posted. [Wink]

#48734 - 01/02/04 10:01 PM Re: Emily Courtney
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Bless your friend's heart. I feel for her.

I was a 32 yr. old divorced mother and sole support of 2 daughters when I was diagnosed with cancer.

While working on the degree I needed for the job I already had, I had worked full time, held a couple of part time writing jobs and started a business. Graduation was set for January and the doctor called in December.

I told him there was no way I was dying without that darned degree and I was absolutely not missing class for surgery or anything else. We postponed everything til after I finished my classes.

Possibly because we knew it might be our last, the kids and I had the best Christmas ever and though I didn't make it to the graduation ceremony, I got the degree. Then I had the surgery and went through treatment for what seemed like forever. Somehow, with the help of the kids and a lot of prayers, I survived.

I'll definitely pray for your friend.

smile

#48735 - 01/05/04 12:49 AM Re: Emily Courtney
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Smilin, another driven boomer women. A cancer survivor to boot! I love hearing these stories. [Wink] They inspire me tremendously.

Don't know if you know it or not, but Meredithbead is also a cancer survivor. [Big Grin]

Thanks for the prayers for Emily!

#48736 - 01/05/04 04:27 AM Re: Emily Courtney
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
My cancer diagnosis was quite a long time ago now, but I remember it so well. It wasn't until the night before surgery that it really hit me. My mind was just suddenly bombarded with the thought, "I'm going to die.". I faced my own mortality head on and was defenseless against it.

At that point, I went on automatic pilot. I went through the surgery, but there was no fight left in me. I had resigned myself to not recovering. A lot of people were praying for me and I was praying for my kids. I was so afraid they would be left alone, but I was helpless to do anything.

Then one day in the hospital, the thought, "I can't die. I have two kids." just suddenly lit up in my mind and I knew I had to fight.

Later when I got my chart and I read it, I could see the point where things changed. For several days after surgery, every entry said I appeared depressed and was uncooperative and withdrawn. I wouldn't get out of bed or do any of the things necessary to recover from the surgery. There seemed to be nothing I could do and I just couldn't care any more.

Then one day the nurse noted seeing me in the hall at the lunch cart and she wrote in the notes that I told her I was getting all the extra sugar packets for my kids. I'm sure that is the day of the light in my mind. From that point on all the entries were positive. I had taken on the monster inside me and I knew I would be okay.

There was no way I could possibly see it then, but the whole experience turned out to be a blessing. I began to see things better. It's truly amazing how something like that heightens your senses and increases your gratitude. So many things that I had previously taken for granted suddenly seemed so wonderful and there was so much joy in my heart at just being alive. I was calmed for the treatments and poised for the fight. I knew I would win.

The experience made us all stronger and afterward when things went wrong, the girls and I faced it with much greater faith.

smile

#48737 - 01/12/04 11:03 PM Re: Emily Courtney
Ellie Offline

Loc: Towson
OK I am new at this posting stuff so bare with me Just bought A Purpose Driven Life and want to get feelings from other readers???? Is it worth the read???? Did you do a diary??

#48738 - 01/12/04 11:09 PM Re: Emily Courtney
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Ellie! Wecome girl. There are plenty of people in here that have read/participated in studies of the Purpose Driven Life. I'm sure they will give you plenty of guidance.

I just wanted to say hello, welcome and don't worry about the posting thing...you just jump in and start. You will find nothing here but a wonderful group of supportive women who are very smart, loving, and kind. And oh yeah...we are cute too.

#48739 - 01/13/04 04:29 PM Re: Emily Courtney
Ellie Offline

Loc: Towson
Sorry obviously put this in wrong topic I am still working through this thanks for being patient with me

#48740 - 01/17/04 04:30 PM Re: Emily Courtney
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Ellie, not to worry. We were all beginners once. The more you post, the better you get. Right ladies?

#48741 - 01/19/04 03:43 PM Re: Emily Courtney
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Will definitely keep Emily in my prayers. The doctor's timing was awful! So many doctors lack a decent "bedside" manner.

Prayer is so vital, especially with health concerns. She will be a part of my daily prayers.

Ann

#48742 - 02/02/04 11:38 PM Re: Emily Courtney
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Just want to share that Emily had her surgery and they removed a fist sized tumor. There is NO lymph node involvement! [Big Grin] She is back to work. The baby will be born and then she'll have to have some treatments.

Thanks so much for your prayers. Everyone is very relieved! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved