The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 189 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#51649 - 05/12/04 08:49 PM My sis
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
FOr those of you who don't know, Candice is my niece and the editor for my writing project.

My sister whom I'm asking prayers for is her mom. I hadn't mentioned my sister's cancer until Candice did so now I feel safe asking for prayers. I try very hard not to share other's news if I think they might not appreciate it.

I've since mentioned this to my sister and she said to please ask for prayers and also, if anyone else has had DCIS.

She was just diagnosed 2 1/2 weeks ago and will have surgery on Monday. That will be followed by radiation and perhaps tomoxifin.

She is 99% curable! [Big Grin]

Please pray for her strength, a continued good attitude, the awareness of the presence of God throughout her treatments, and for her to be surrounded by loved ones.

Thanks so much.

FYI she has all of her results from labs and other doctors sent to her GP. The radiologist told her she'd see her in a year. Her Gyn. missed it in the report sent to her...and her GP read the report, called her, and said he'd feel better if she had a biopsy due to a change he saw! DIdn't think it was anything, but it would make him feel better!

This is the same doctor who when my dad shared he could no longer mow the lawn without taking breaks, suggested he have some tests run. VOila...Dad had 4 way bypass surgery after getting the test results! He saved my dad and now he saved my sis. [Smile]

Had to share since we're sometimes harsh onthe medical professionals. There are still doctors who CARE! [Big Grin]

Keep searching for good doctors who listen...

#51650 - 05/12/04 09:15 PM Re: My sis
Micki Offline

Loc: Linthicum, MD
Dots, I am keeping up with the family through Dad, who obviously has things screwed up, or your father and he have gone off on a tear. I knew about Candace (and sent prayers Heavenward!) and was only aware thet K was having biopsies done this Monday. Whoops--guess I'd better straighten Dad out (or maybe your father didn't tell him everything because of his own health issues--so I should keep my big mouth shut??). Anyway, tell Sis I am with her all the way.......

#51651 - 05/13/04 05:47 PM Re: My sis
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Men? Go figure!

Perhaps Dad wasn't telling him on purpose.

You do what you think is best for your dad.

That was another reason I wasn't posting in here about it at first. I didn't want family or friends to learn first bby reading it in the forums. We have MANY lurkers, you know!

Thanks for the prayers.

#51652 - 05/14/04 05:42 AM Re: My sis
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Dotsie, I'm thinking good thoughts and just know your sister will be OK. Tell her I said so cuz I'm an expert on all this, OK? DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) is a very early stage disorder and has a fantastic cure rate if treated early. I had a lot of DCIS in addition to the tumor, but hopefully the chemo and radiation blasted it all out. And for those who don't know, chemo is almost never recommended for "just" DCIS. Usually radiation and sometimes local surgery, depending on spread and size.

#51653 - 05/14/04 03:16 PM Re: My sis
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Dotsie,

I send my best wishes and prayers to you concerning your sister. Just found this out today about your sister's health. Sometimes I get too busy with my work; please forgive.

Will keep your family in my prayers and heart for a full recovery.

Toni

#51654 - 05/17/04 05:51 AM Re: My sis
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Hi Dotsie & Candace - your sister and mother are in my thoughts and prayers. From what I've read this particular cancer is the most common and highest recovery rate. It was caught early and sounds like there are a lot of positives.

God speed on a full, fast recovery!

#51655 - 05/17/04 10:11 PM Re: My sis
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Her surgery is behind her now. Phew...

Onward with radiation in about 3-4 weeks.

She is maintaining her positive attitude which is key! [Big Grin]

#51656 - 05/17/04 11:17 PM Re: My sis
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Dotsie,
Just a thought about your sister.
I'm glad to hear she's keeping a positive outlook. But you and she should both be aware that after a surgery to remove a part of one's body, even a very small diseased part, the body grieves the loss of that part.
It's a normal part of healing, but it can adversely affect one's mental outlook which can lengthen the healing process.
Post op patient's almost always go through a full cycle of grief including denial, guilt, regret, anger, bargaining sadness, and resolution. Sometimes much of that process occurs before the actual surgery and each individual experiences it differently. If the patient and those around her are aware of it, the symptoms are lessened by acceptance.
Sigmund Freud said emotions in themselves are not painful, but our fear of them and our fight against them can be unbearable.
Being aware of what to expect can help your sister lean into the emotions which will lessen the pain and speed recovery.

Just some thoughts. You and your sister are in my prayers.
smile

[ May 17, 2004, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved