The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 200 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#47305 - 07/26/03 02:58 PM appetizer, mmmm
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Don't know what these are called but a friend makes them and I am going t give them a try today.

At the store you can buy ready made phyllo dough pastry cups (very little).

Take bleu cheese, pine nuts, scallions, and tomatoes (cut very fine) and make a little chunky paste.

sooon into pastry cups.

You can serve them warm or cold.

Best served warm just 'til the cheese melts a little.

I am also going to make some with feta in place of bleu.

Simple as 1,2,3, and taste scrumptious.

[ July 27, 2003, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#47306 - 07/30/03 10:53 PM Re: appetizer, mmmm
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Mmmmm! Hon, I'm getting hungry just reading the recipe! Heh heh, now that I have an oven, I'm gonna see if I can scrape together a batch! My brain is rather deficient in the appetizer department. When I've absolutely had to make appetizer type stuff, I just rely on pickles, olives, carrot sticks and corn chips. The whole process of making dozens of little cracker-treats with individual toppings boggles my mind! The phyllo pastry thing sounds really worth it, too, and I think that feta definitely would be fantastic instead of bleu cheese.

I'm still kind of pissed off at myself, because I still can't bake a regular cake or make cupcakes yet... I don't have a mixer! I was just about to buy a mix, when I realized I would never be able to beat up the batter properly! Oh, well, that's gonna be my next project.

I found a wonderful recipe for making microwave cupcakes, btw! You take a bunch of those flat-bottomed ice cream cones, spoon 2 tablespoons of cake batter into each cone, place them in a circle a few inches apart on the revolving glass tray (or a microwaveable plate), and nuke them for 30 seconds or so, until the little cakes rise and spring back in the middle. You can frost them, too. As soon as I get a mixer, I'm gonna whip up a few batches (and make some muffins for the first time in so many years, too!)

Anyway, gotta go make some dinner!

Hugs, blessings & stomach rumblings,
Lil

#47307 - 07/30/03 11:08 PM Re: appetizer, mmmm
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Reading your message about not having a mixer made me think of the time I made a lemon merengue pie without a mixer. By the time I finished stirring the merengue, I thought my arm would fall off! It was my husband, then boyfriend's, first birthday we would celebrate and I had absolutely no money and lived with a friend, who also had no money, so I decided to make him his favorite pie. It's amazing what you value when you don't have it.

#47308 - 07/31/03 01:28 PM Re: appetizer, mmmm
Dotsie Offline
Founder

LOL! Candice, you said it, girlfriend! I remember trying to make meringue by hand once. I didn't get anything better than froth (and nausea from the egg smell!). I was in tears, thinking there was something wrong with me because I couldn't make it look like a store-bought confection! I finally stuck the mess in a blender -- you can imagine how hard it was to get that stuff out of the blender cup! It's funny looking back at it, but I was totally traumatized at the time!

Blessings,
Lil [Eek!]

#47309 - 08/01/03 12:29 AM Re: appetizer, mmmm
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Mine actually turned out. You make me laugh about the blender. I bet it was kind of messy. I have never been one for following a recipe to the letter and I have paid for it(As my poor stomach will tell you).

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved