The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 143 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#209735 - 12/20/10 01:03 PM Christmas morning casserole
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Any christmas morning casserole recommendations? I'm trying new things this year and would love to hear from you.

#209737 - 12/20/10 01:51 PM Re: Christmas morning casserole [Re: Dee]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
This is very good dish when you have overnight visitors……quick and easy to assemble. It’s like a big ole omelet. Plus, it is an excellent casserole to make the night before. Just layer all the ingredients in the casserole dish and cover with foil and refrigerate. Next morning, remove foil and pop it in the oven. It also keeps for 2-3 days in the frig after it is cooked.

Breakfast Casserole

3-4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
1 cup shredded casserole cheese, or Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese
1 cup diced fully cooked ham or Canadian bacon
¼ to ½ cup sliced green onions
6 beaten eggs (you can use egg beaters too)
1 12-ounce can evaporated milk, (reg., skim, or non-fat)
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon salt

Grease a 13x9 baking dish. Arrange potatoes evenly in bottom of dish. Sprinkle with cheese, ham and green onion.

In a bowl combine eggs, milk, pepper & salt; mix well. Pour egg mixture over potato mixture. Baked uncovered in a 350-degree oven for 55-60 minutes or until center appears set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve with a side dish of toast, biscuits, bacon, or sausage, if desired.

#209746 - 12/20/10 04:53 PM Re: Christmas morning casserole [Re: Cookie]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
gosh, that sounds soooooooooooooooooooooooooo good...Thanks Cookie!!!

#209759 - 12/21/10 12:48 AM Re: Christmas morning casserole [Re: Cookie]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Sounds delicious!
Can you use regular half and half instead of the evaporated milk? I never have that on hand.

But come to think of it, I usually substitute regular 1% milk fortified with dry milk for evaporated...

(So for 1 C. of evaporated I would use 1 C. of regular milk plus 1/3 C. of dry milk granules...)

But for this yummy sounding dish, I'd treat my guests to half and half...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#209760 - 12/21/10 12:53 AM Re: Christmas morning casserole [Re: Dee]
Boomer in Chief

I made a fabulous read pudding the other day that would be wonderful for Christmas morning. Very much like a bacon quiche, except I used bread cubes and no crust... I will look for the recipe and send it along.

Meanwhile, here is a link to a whole menu of Christmas Morning Casseroles: Christmas Morning Casserole recipes
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#209762 - 12/21/10 12:59 AM Re: Christmas morning casserole [Re: Anne Holmes]
Boomer in Chief

Ahh, I found my bread pudding recipe. Here 'tis:

Anne’s Savory Bread Pudding with Bacon, Sweet Potatoes and Butternut Squash

Serves 12| Hands-On Time: 30m | Total Time: 2hr 30m

Ingredients
• 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the baking dish
• 2 medium onions, chopped
• 12 ounces butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I bought some pre-cut at the market)
• 12 ounces sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I bought mine pre-cut and frozen, from those wonderful people at Schwan’s, but if the "gold truck" doesn't come to your house, cut 'em yourself.)
• sea salt and black pepper
• 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
• 10 large eggs, beaten
• 1 pound low sodium bacon, fried crisp and broken into bite size bits
• 4 cups half and half (or substitute half milk, half whipping cream)
• 1 14-oz. bag Pepperidge Farm stuffing cubes (I used sage and onion flavored)
• 3 cups grated Swiss cheese (or get fancy and use Gruyère)
Directions
1. Heat oven to 375° F. Oil a glass 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the squash and sweet potatoes, season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook, tossing frequently, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes more. Stir in the sage. Let cool for 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the bread, cheese, bacon and squash mixture and toss to coat.
4. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and allow mixture to set an hour in the refrigerator (or as long as overnight) to allow the bread cubes to soak up the liquid.
5. Bake until golden brown and set, 55 to 60 minutes.

Note: If you want to skip the step of waiting for the bread cubes to soften, substitute a 1 pound load of soft French or Italian bread, cut into 1-inch pieces.

(Modified from a recipe found @ RealSimple (dotcom) by Kate Merker & Sara Quessenberry, Nov. 2010 )

Edited by Anne Holmes (12/21/10 01:04 AM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved