The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 191 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#88722 - 09/18/06 01:14 PM Homemade hot cocoa with honey
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
We make our own hot cocoa, but we really don't follow a recipe.

We use;

powdered milk
Cocoa powder
honey
Boiling water

however, you can look one up in any cookbook and substitute the sugar for honey.

it's so delicious and so much better for you than refined sugar!

#88723 - 09/18/06 01:24 PM Re: Homemade hot cocoa with honey [Re: Di]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
The only thing I've ever used cocoa powder is baking. I never thought about making hot chocolate with it. Duh!

#88724 - 09/18/06 01:29 PM Re: Homemade hot cocoa with honey
Di Offline

LOL!

Guess I've adjusted to 'country' life out here. I cannot remember when we've purchased hot cocoa in a package..it's very bad for you, actually. Nothing but junk..just read the ingredients.

I also use cocoa powder as a colorant for a few of our pecan soaps!! How's that for healthy innovation!!

#88725 - 09/18/06 08:13 PM Re: Homemade hot cocoa with honey [Re: Di]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
And I have never considered honey as a substitute for sugar doing cocoa. Will be trying it soon.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#88726 - 09/18/06 08:39 PM Re: Homemade hot cocoa with honey [Re: Anno]
Di Offline

You really cannot taste the honey. I think the cocoa powder is dominant. But you do have the sweetness from the honey nonetheless.

i LOVE it!!!!

#88727 - 09/19/06 01:16 PM Re: Homemade hot cocoa with honey [Re: Di]
Di Offline

in this morning's cup, i also added a tsp.of Vanila extract. i imagine you can also use almond, orange, anise, peppermint extract as well.

Go for the gusto!!

#88728 - 09/20/06 02:45 AM Re: Homemade hot cocoa with honey [Re: Di]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Seems like to me that Cocoa Powder was what Mom used to make hot chocolate when we were little.

JJ

#88729 - 09/23/06 06:20 PM Re: Homemade hot cocoa with honey [Re: jawjaw]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Like Di, we make our own hot cocoa too, which we like alot. And you are right Di, the mixes from the store aren't very good. I have never tried it with honey, which sounds good! I will have to try that since I use honey in alot of things. Here is a recipe for hot cocoa that we use that is pretty good. I got it from the food network show called Good Eats. I make several jars of it during the winter months to have on hand.

Cocoa Mix

3 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup cocoa (Dutch-process, European Style preferred)
2 1/2 cups powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch

In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and incorporate well. Add cocoa mixture to an air tight container or jar. This keeps indefinitely in the pantry.

TO MAKE A CUP OF COCOA...Heat water in a small pot or a tea kettle. Place 4-5 heaping spoonfuls of cocoa mixture in a mug. Add boiling hot water to cocoa mixture and stir thoroughly. Top with whipped cream or marshmallows, if desired. *For a creamier cocoa drink, use hot milk instead of water.*

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved