The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47336 - 10/21/03 04:12 AM Christmas food?
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
One of the joys of this forum is trying to remember what time of the day it is there (and which date - I am ahead of you guys).

Anyway...this year I have to host the family christmas dinner (about 40 people) and I am very tired of all the usual things we eat...what suggestions might there be from the USofA?

It will be high summer here and probably about 30 degrees C so don't suggest roast turkey! Cold buffet or BBQ is what we normally do...

#47337 - 10/21/03 04:46 AM Re: Christmas food?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I have a couple of questions:

1) Do you want all cold foods?
2) Are you asking for MAIN dish items or side foods as well?

One thing you might like and it's simple is to open a couple cans of asparagus (or fresh if you have it) and marinate it in Italian dressing. It's really good! I'll look thru my "stuff" and see if I can come up with something else. Don't forget the deviled eggs (if it's an outside thing) ha! [Wink]

#47338 - 10/21/03 03:58 PM Re: Christmas food?
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
have you heard of "beer can chicken"? Don't exactly have the complete recipe, but it involves opening a can of beer, placing the chicken over it (You know what end) and then putting it on the BBQ - it is supposed to be really good.

#47339 - 10/21/03 04:47 PM Re: Christmas food?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Julie, I'd love to help you out here. I love to cook and have a ton of recipes. I just added two more from this forum...empanadas and jambalaya. [Big Grin]

Do you do much grilling? Do you like seafood?

I'll give you my suggestions after you answer these two questions...can't wait! [Razz]

#47340 - 10/21/03 05:55 PM Re: Christmas food?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Yet another good asparagus dish is:

Asparagus Sesame Rolls.

12 Fresh asparagus spears
12 bread slices (can use Pepperidge Farm bread)
crust removed
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted

Trim asparagus spears to 6 in. Flatten bread with a rolling pin.

In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and blue cheese until combined.

Spread over bread; top with an asparagus spear and roll up tightly.

Roll in butter; place seam side down on a greased baking sheet.

Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 375 for 14-16 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned.

Yield: 1 doz.

#47341 - 10/22/03 03:26 AM Re: Christmas food?
Julie Offline

Thank you all for helping me out, I knew you would have some diffent ideas.

Yes we like seafood but tend to save it for Christmas evening when the crowd has gone and we have a light meal of prawns, salad and a glass of wine with my in-laws.

We haven't done much grilling but have new equipment and willing to try.

Like the idea of some hot/cold dishes and all of Queen Bee's suggestions sound wonderful so far. Anything that can be done in ADVANCE is great so I don't miss any of the fun.

Doesn't the can of beer explode in the BBQ?? Not sure I would be allowed to "waste" the beverage in such a manner :-)

#47342 - 10/22/03 04:36 PM Re: Christmas food?
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
well, like I said, I've never tried it so I don't know all the "mechanics" of it - but I believe the theory is the beer is absorbed into the chicken, leaving it moist and tender....or something like that....I'd have to search the net for the exact recipe....

hmmm....."throw another Fosters on the barbie"..........no? [Smile]

#47343 - 10/23/03 07:04 AM Re: Christmas food?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Julie, sometimes in the summer if we are having company and don't want to use the grill we have a ham, served cold, already sliced.

I'll serve potato salad, baked beans, deviled eggs, and a garden salad. How does that sound? Want me to post the recipes? Will gladly do.

How about home made apple pie with vanilla ice cream for dessert?

I also have a good pulled pork bar-b-q recipe. Keep me posted.

#47344 - 10/24/03 09:40 AM Re: Christmas food?
Julie Offline

Pardon my ignorance but what is pulled-pork?? :-)
And I assume you aren't talking about the baked beans in tomato sauce we eat out of a can?
We do usually have cold ham on Christmas day and often potato salad.

#47345 - 10/24/03 02:20 PM Re: Christmas food?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Pulled pork is a pork roast cooked to death. Doesn't sound so great, but it's delicious. The meat falls apart and it's cooked in lots of spices. It's fun party food.

The beans arethe kind out of a can, but I add spices and bacon and bake them.

I'll post some recipes wehn I get back from visiting my son. When is your holiday?

[ October 24, 2003, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved