The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 200 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#47536 - 10/18/04 01:37 AM Roast
summerbreeze Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I had this recipe when I was in Maine, and it was wonderful.

2-3 lb. beef roast
Sprinkle with pkg of dry onion soup
Spread 2 cans cream of mushroom soup on top

Add potatoes to pan.

She baked it in the over for 4 hours, but I think I will do it in a crockpot.

summerbreeze

#47537 - 10/18/04 01:51 AM Re: Roast
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
This roast is a super fast and great meal in a crockpot or the oven. May I suggest you add large carrots. If you feel the onion soup with the mushroom soup adds to much sodium (it does) then instead of the onion soup add a large sliced onion. Same flavor, less sodium...Delish winter warmer upper... [Big Grin]

#47538 - 10/18/04 03:14 AM Re: Roast
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Here's a roast recipe that might even compete with Chatty's. It's my family of the deceased meal for funerals and for people who do me favors and for my family especially when someone's having a rotten day.

I put a large package of carrots (peeled of course, but not sliced) in the bottom of a large corning ware pan. Salt and pepper.

Add a relatively large roast and salt and pepper.(cheaper cuts are actually best)

Add a small head of cabbage cut into quarters or smaller to cover, but leave room enough for the top. Salt and pepper.

Clean potatoes with skin on and slice so they fit around the meat. Salt and pepper.

Add a medium onion quartered over the top of it all.

Put the lid on and bake about 350 for four hours or so.
When it's done and everyone is getting dizzy from the wonderful smell, pour some of the juice with a little onion in a pan and add a large can of mushroom soup and heat til the lumps go away.

Serve with salad and biscuits. YUM.
Even the guys who swear they hate cabbage beg for it.

smile
I'm getting hungry now.

#47539 - 10/18/04 04:53 AM Re: Roast
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Smilinize, oh yummy, and I love cabbage too. I am going to try this one. I have never put beef and cabbage together before except in Cabbage rolls (stuffed cabbage) and that was lean ground beef. Or vegetable soup with cabbage and lots of other veges and a sirloin tip roast. When the soup is done ladies, eat some soup then you remove the roast and serve it sliced along side a mixture of ice cold tomatoes (made earlier) and set in fridge to chill..

The tomato mixture is stewed tomato, 1 can
Onion, medium, finely chopped.
Clove of garlic, finely chopped.
Sprinkle of Italian seasoning.
Salt and pepper to taste.

It can be on the side of or on top of the meat. It is really good too.... [Big Grin]

#47540 - 10/18/04 03:05 PM Re: Roast
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Summerbreeze,
I've made post roast like that but I didn't cook it that long. It tastes really good! When my niece got married we all gave her a recipe at her bridal shower and that's the recipe I gave her.

#47541 - 10/18/04 05:34 PM Re: Roast
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
My mouth is watering...I too cook my roast that way...or use to when I cooked...a bazillion years ago.

Occasionally, I buy those ham steaks that are about 2 inches thick....put them in a pan lined with aluminum foil, pour about a half can of coke over it, cover it with more aluminum foil, then bake for about 45 minutes. DEE-LISH!

Serve with corn on the cob, baked beans (or green beans) creamed potatoes and Southern slaw, not that sissy slaw where you use vinegar...

JJ

p.s. Its 9:28 a.m. and I'm starved!

#47542 - 10/18/04 05:38 PM Re: Roast
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Jawjaw,
That ham recipe sounds great, I'm going to give it a try. I'm always looking for new recipes, I get so bored cooking the same old stuff, the same old way, all the time. Unlike you, I cook almost every day and am getting very tired of it.

#47543 - 10/19/04 07:05 AM Re: Roast
lalapaloosa Offline

Loc: Winters, California
Here is a recipe I STARTED to make last night, but (duhness) I forgot to defrost the phylo dough, so ended up with ONE "Chicken Corinthian"

Chicken Corinthian (from Burger Continental in Old Pasadena, CA)

marinate 1/2 boneless skinless chicken breasts in lemon juice for about 20 minutes (remember to turn it over midway through)
saute in olive oil with minced garlic, diced onions, capers, mushrooms, and pinch of oregano, basil and thyme
remove chicken from pan
cool
butter individual sheets of phylo dough on both sides
place chicken on buttered sheet of phylo
place 1/2" thick slice of feta cheese on chicken and about a quarter cup of fresh spinach on top of the feta cheese
wrap chicken/cheese/spinach in about six layers of phylo dough.
Bake in oven @300 degrees until chicken is warmed and dough is browned.
Place chicken on platter or individual plates and put mushroom mixture on top.
I swear, this recipe is TO DIE FOR!!!!!! Last night we all got to taste the ONE SINGLE SERVING!!! that I made and our eyes were rolling around with ecstasy..LOL!!! I wish we (all of us sharing recipes) were all together to make this recipe together because the phylo dough is a real time consumer. And it is SO RICH, so you don't need to eat too much of it, but telling your mouth to stop is pretty close to impossible.
If anyone is seriously interested in trying this recipe, I will give you more specific measurements on the ingredients..oh my gosh, it is soooo DELICIOUS!

#47544 - 10/19/04 02:44 AM Re: Roast
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Lala this chicken recipe sounds great but if your family like chickedn, check out the chicken roll ups recipe under Emeril eat you heart out, a similar principal but totally different taste. I love phyllo dough... [Big Grin]

#47545 - 10/19/04 03:23 AM Re: Roast
wolfbane Offline

Loc: Pasadena, Texas
No fair you guys! I ate an hour ago and ya'll are making me hungry again!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved