The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 200 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#46901 - 05/10/05 07:24 AM the gospels
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
A local minister shared that he is always reading one of the gospels so he can have the life of Christ ingrained in his mind while he lives this life.

I was getting bored with reading and rewriting Psalms so I switched to reading Matthew. My plan is to read through the gospels and then begin again. Anyone want to join me?

I am using The Message, by Eugene Peterson. It's the Bible written in contemporary language. It's so easy to read, and simple to comprehend. The Message is the best-selling paraphrased translation of the Bible, and the most popular reader friendly Bible available. It's written as though God is speaking directly to you. You gotta love it....

#46902 - 05/12/05 04:01 AM Re: the gospels
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dotsie, you know I pass by this church nearby frequently. THere's a sign out that writes, "Forty Days of Purpose" I'm not sure what that means but since the caption almost always captures my attention, I though I'd find something Godly to do on my own.

I think this is it! I'll at least try to be as faithful to this new Godly task as possible. When do you want to start?

#46903 - 05/12/05 05:48 PM Re: the gospels
DallasGal Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
"Forty Days Of Purpose" is the campaign that is based upon Rick Warren's awesome and inspiring book journey, "The Purpose Driven Life"

After I completed that book and my "40 days" I signed my name in my copy with the words "Inspired Life Ministries" and the date and passed the book onto someone else.

The next day I began the paperwork and the online framework for the non-profit corporation, Inspired Life Ministries.

My life has not been the same since and seems more blessed than I could ever have imagined.

Dotsie, I am in - when do we start?

#46904 - 05/13/05 07:52 AM Re: the gospels
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Sugaree, I've also read Warren's book. My husband and I did the study at church. It can be life changing if you take his words to heart. I wish we lived closer. I'd give you my book. I'm sure you can get it at the library.

I've already started. I'm reading Matthew. I read Chapter 6 today. There's no rhyme or reason to how much I read each day. I underline and journal as I write.

Maybe we can share some of our thoughts, journal entries, concerns, revelations, etc, in this forum as we move along.

How's that sound?

I'm excited to have others join in the fun.

I'll start by sharing some of my thoughts from Chapter 6:

Try not to focus on hoarding stuff.
Focus on the reward of heaven.

Use my eyes to let in the light, stay optimistic, and count blessings.

Worship God and forget the earthly things that I can't take with me when I go.

Focus on how He cares for the birds and the flowers.
Recognize their beauty and realize He cares for me more!

Focus on keeping my heart on Him because I know my body and looks will change, but His love for me won't.

Accept His message to relax, focus on my gifts, and find peace knowing He is my God...not money or the things of this earth.

He has my attention. I have total faith that I can deal with whatever comes my way as long as He is by my side...and He is.

This is nothing I'm proud of writing. This is what I jotted down as I went along. Not meant to be published! [Big Grin]

#46905 - 05/17/05 11:36 AM Re: the gospels
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oh, I go MIA on business and have missed the action. Thanks DallasGirl. I wasn't sure what that meant but my heart was intent on leading a truly purposeful lifestyle, at least for forty days.

I recall, as a little girl, my grandmother visiting with the elderly, sick and shut in, and so forth. We'd do special things for them. I always enjoyed the times. Now I enjoy recalling the times with my grandmother that realized this about these folk. I guess that's why her funeral was one of the largest turnouts in the small town, ever to date.

Anyhow, Dotsie, you're up a few chapters on me in Mathews. As you can see, it's pretty late now but I have time tomorrow to plow thru and catch up and then I can post my response(s) to these chapters in Mathews.

God bless,

Sheree

#46906 - 05/17/05 11:38 AM Re: the gospels
Dotsie Offline
Founder

BTW-> excellent accounts of how reading this made you feel and realize certain aspects.

#46907 - 05/17/05 01:34 PM Re: the gospels
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
Dotsie I'd like to hear more about your "finding your gold nugget" series

I don't know that i have a nugget - but maybe a speck...

sometimes
I feel that I understand nothing
sometimes
I hold the key to the universe
sometimes
I roar like a lion
sometimes
I run like a mouse
sometimes
the tide is way, way out
sometimes
the beach holds the full sea
sometimes
my faith is a tall tree
sometimes
an un-germinated seed
but always
…You

#46908 - 05/18/05 07:51 AM Re: the gospels
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Julie, beautiful. I think we all feel this way at times.

Julie, all of us have 24 hours a day. What we do with them is what makes a difference in our lives.

People say they don't have time to pray, read the Bible, draw nearer to God, etc.

I propose we have the time, we just need to figure out how to incorporate Christianity.

Instead of reading secular magazines/books, we can read The Bible, Christian magazines, or Christian books. Keep them in your purse, car, etc. and pull them out when you have a sec.

Instead of listening to secular music, find a Christain radio station or CD for a quick little pick me up in the middle of the day.

Read The Bible before you pick up the paper in the morning.

Pray when you exercise, empty the dishwasher, fold clothes, vacuum, etc.

There's lots more, but I think you may get the idea. God is everywhere, why not choose to meet him there? He is yearning to connect with us. And it's all for the sake of ourselves.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

We made a list of everything we did the day before. EVERYTHING. Then we went back and considered if we could have done something different to incorporate God. The results were amazing. We DO have time to pray.

I recommend committing to one new discipline and making it a habit. After months pass, pick another little discipline. Keep adding. You will be blessed.

I can share more if you're interested.

[ May 17, 2005, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#46909 - 05/18/05 03:59 AM Re: the gospels
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Thanks for sharing those thoughts, Dotsie. I've often berated myself for not spending enough time in prayer. But when I actually started to take stock of my days, I realized that I'm rarely NOT praying or chatting with God. I don't spend hours just sitting and praying, but the few minutes that I do are enough for the time being. Like you, every activity is a chance to incorporate Him into my day-to-day life; I constantly chat His ear off...while doing dishes, baking, gardening, washing floor; any mundane task becomes a chance to pray for people who have asked for prayer; even coming here to BWS, I don't come alone. He's everywhere I am; what an incredible comfort that steadfast companionship is.

Prayer does become a habit, so much so that I'm often not even aware of it going on. Now I try to be more aware of Him as a friend who might also have something to say now and then!

The one thing I've been trying to do lately is replace reading the newspaper at breakfast to reading inspirational writings. I do read a daily meditation every morning before I even get out of bed (it helps me roll out!); now I want to extend that over breakfast. Reading the paper has been a habit for half my adult life, but lately it has been so disheartening to start off my day with such negativity and bad news. It's a much harder habit to break than anticipated. So I'm starting with two days a week, then will hopefully progress from there.

Your insights and suggestions are always so helpful and inspiring to me. Sometimes the simplest things can be impossible to see until someone else points out the possibility.

#46910 - 05/18/05 01:38 PM Re: the gospels
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
I thought one of the clever things about 40 days of purpose was that it created a daily reading habit for people who haven't had one before...me, I've always had a reading habit...

here's another way to put God in your day - I spend a lot of time web searching at work - you can search a bible reference on google and lots of different online biblical tools will come up and it is so quick to read and compare

but you also need to exercise discernment when reading biblical content online because there can be a lot of "fringe" thinkers pushing particular ideas...always check the authority of the source!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved