The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 118 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#46841 - 10/12/05 12:59 PM Ephesians
Junebug Offline

Loc: 10 yrs in OH now, 47 yrs in Tx
I do not know how many times I turned to the BOOK of Ephesians when raising my family, and through a physically and mentally abusive first marriage. Single raising 3 sons alone for 5 yrs. Then, when I found my wonderful husband, 21 yrs ago, my children and him. Step parents and step kids! All is right now, they are grown! But, it is a book to live by, and it got me through many times and many years! If you are in a hurry, just turn to Epheshians! [Big Grin]

#46842 - 10/13/05 12:41 AM Re: Ephesians
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Hey, 'm reading it right now. I'm on Chapter 4. It's part of my morning routine.

This is my problem. I've read the New Testament, but not the Bmy old pastor said that you can't appreciate the New until you've read the Old. I've read bits and pieces of the Old, and go back to reference it, but have never read the whole thing. HELP. Any suggestions?

#46843 - 10/13/05 01:14 AM Re: Ephesians
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
I think the Old Testament is a 'learned taste'. I would start by praying for the desire to delve more in to the Old Testament and then believe that God will give you the desire to read and stay with it. Personally, I LOVE the Old Testament. Truly! If I am trying to figure out how to stand in something and just reading a verse like, "When you have done everything just stand." isn't helping at the moment--going into the Old Testament and reading the stories of the people and thinking about what they went through-how they stood in the midst of circumstances--I am much more able to stand when I find someone going through a similar trial. Gleaning the 'techniques' or finding the key elements that I can apply to my walk are tremendous!

I know, I'm soapboxing again--actually this is my next book--I'm about 3/4's complete at this time. Taking some of those Old Testament people and building the background story of their life so we can better relate to it and then adding the actual biblcal text and then breaking down the key elelments so that we can apply it to our own lives--that's what I'm working on now!

Can you imagine--short glimpse here--what it was like to be Leah? To have one night of incredible passion with a man who had worked as a servant for years, just to be able to marry. (only he wanted to marry Rachel and her dad pulled a switch) Then in the morning light to see this man who had held her so tenderly, recoil in utter disgust and run from her to confront her father, while she looked on. What did she feel? pain, sadness, embarrasment? did she continue to look at him with passion, did she yearn to be taken the way he had once, what was it like to know that never again would she feel the true passion and love of that first night, never again would she have sex without begging for it/fighting for his attention as he yearned for her sister.

See, how much you can relate back to yourself when you stop and think about their circumstances? I'll bet most of us can relate to something in that short story version.

P.S. The Old Testament is a treasure when you start to understand the depth of it. Did you know that the plan of salvation is laid out in Genesis chapter five in the list of names--(who begate who) Watch this: Beginning in verse 3 you have the following names. Adam=man, Seth= (is) appointed, Enosh=mortal, Kenan=sorrow, Mahalalei= (but) the Blessed God, Jared=shall come down, Enoch=teaching, Methusaleh=His death shall bring, Lemech=despairing, Noah=comfort (rest)!!

The Old Testament is a treasure trove of details. Every time it's recorded that there were 52 male camels and 13 female camels...etc. All those crazy details that we think are so trivial all have a meaning, through the use of numbers, name meanings, even directions for things like animal husbandry-how to keep good breed stock--it's all there! But it seems dry so we bypass it and go to the New Testament. Just try to read it with new eyes, I'll bet you enjoy it more!

#46844 - 10/13/05 06:03 AM Re: Ephesians
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I am able to understand the Old Testament better when I study with a group. I get details I miss from reading it on my own, and I enjoy hearing what others get out of it.

Daisygirl

#46845 - 10/13/05 05:16 PM Re: Ephesians
Dotsie Offline
Founder

starting over, thanks for the thoughtful reply. Please let me know when your book is published. I know I could benefit from it. I'd love it if you were in town and could lead a Bible Study for my prayer group.

Daisy, I agree. Studying with others helps us see the Bible through many perspectives. Another thing that I find helpful is my Life Application Bible. I couldn't live without it. DO either of you have one?

#46846 - 10/14/05 12:22 AM Re: Ephesians
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Thank you Dotsie, what a compliment! I do appreciation the way I am able to share through the site. it's not often I get to share.

Where are you at? maybe we're not so far apart?....

I don't have a Life Application version. Probably because I started with a NIV Study Bible and never ventured elsewhere. At this point my bible is covered with notes in the margins etc. Don't know what I'll do if it falls apart and I have to use a new one--how will I transfer years of notes?????

#46847 - 10/14/05 12:34 AM Re: Ephesians
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I used to have a Life Application, but I gave it to one of my ex-boyfriends. I just purchased a new one, it's a One Year Chronological Bible and the daily readings are arranged in the order the events occurred. I haven't started it yet.

Daisygirl

#46848 - 10/16/05 09:02 PM Re: Ephesians
Junebug Offline

Loc: 10 yrs in OH now, 47 yrs in Tx
I have a bible set up where you go through the entire bible in a year. It mixes (study guide that is) the Old and New Testiment with the needs of each study and the parts that pertain to each days study. It is great! I try to get all the way through it each year. I learn something new every year!

#46849 - 10/16/05 09:48 PM Re: Ephesians
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
Hey, what's a Life Application? I thought I'd already been approved, but maybe that's been my trouble - could someone send me one?

#46850 - 10/17/05 12:13 AM Re: Ephesians
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Starting over, my Bible is all written in too. With recent thoughts due to hurricanes, I thought about what I would take if I had to evacuate...my Bible is right up there with family pictures.

Daisy, I wonder if the ex isusing it...

Junebug, your comment about always learning something new is exactly why I love reading my Bible. Every time I read it I am at a different point in my life and something else catches me by surprise.

Searcher, you're a riot. A life application is a Bible that applies everything in the Bible to everday life. IT's wonderful. I couldn't interpret it otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved