The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 209 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#46952 - 01/17/05 05:29 AM expectations
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Often at prayer group we speak about expectations. We've decided we need to lower our expectations of loved ones. Some may totally disagree, but if we do this we are disappointed less often. [Wink]

That's why this quote rung a bell with me.

"It's funny how many of our problems result from our entirely unrealistic expectations of what life is supposed to be like."

Molly Wolf, A Place Like Any Other

As my husband says,"We don't live on Walton's Mountain". [Wink]

#46953 - 01/24/05 01:55 AM Re: expectations
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
What is life supposed to be like? I wish I knew. Is it unrealistic to expect people to treat you fairly, when you, yourself are fair? Is it unrealistic to expect someone to love you wholeheartedly when you, yourself love them unconditionally? When you try to live your life as a Christian, is it unrealistic to expect others who profess the love of Christ to live that way as well? I lived the majority of my life with the philosophy of 'Hope for the best and expect the worst--that way you'll always be prepared'. Is that wrong? I answered your post because I'm curious -- what IS life supposed to be like?

#46954 - 01/24/05 05:05 AM Re: expectations
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Lower your expectations and not your standards.

Don't give other people permission to disrespect you. Don't disrespect other people. It's okay to disagree if one does it agreeably. It's not okay to disagree disagreeably.

I believe life is supposed to be joyful because of our salvation. I think of Christ often when I've been disappointed in the actions of other people...especially Christian people. There's a BIG difference in church Christians and practicing Christians. There's also more of the former than the latter.

Christ was VERY disappointed in his "church" folks; after all, it was they who brought about His death. Yet, He still died for them as much as I.

I've had some pretty krappy things done to me by Christians and non-Christians alike; otoh, I've done some pretty krappy things both as a Christian and not as a Christian. We all make mistakes but, I think, what makes us bigger, as opposed to smaller, is when we forgive others and ourselves for our mistakes. God says He forgives us, as far as the west is from the east...which is just about forever because the west and the east *never* met...I've found we have a harder time forgiving ourselves and others and that's a bad thing.

I try to live my life so I won't be ashamed when I'm standing in the face of God. I've chosen to crawl and apologize to people who, not only threw my apology back in my face, they soundly trashed me in the community as well. That's now God's problem; I simply cannot carry that burden and remain true to Him.

One thing I have learned though...if someone will gossip WITH me, they will gossip ABOUT me.

Stay happy with God and you'll go far...if not in this life then the next. And, on Good Authority, the next life is going to last a LOT longer than this one!

Agape & Shalom...

#46955 - 01/24/05 05:26 AM Re: expectations
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sandra this is some of the soundest advice I have ever seen. It is to me some of the wisest as well and how can one go wrong striving to live in such a way.I have a lot to learn from this post and will take your words seriously. I have no vote but this is contest material to me. [Big Grin]

#46956 - 01/24/05 06:51 AM Re: expectations
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
quote:
Originally posted by Thistle Cove Farm:
That's now God's problem; I simply cannot carry that burden and remain true to Him.

wow, that's one of the most succint statements I've read on how to practice forgiveness....

well said advice, Sandy - very humbling and so well put - thank you
[Smile]

#46957 - 01/25/05 08:56 AM Re: expectations
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
One thing I have learned though...if someone will gossip WITH me, they will gossip ABOUT me.

Amen sister!

Thistle, your post was full of wisdom. Thanks so much!

#46958 - 01/30/05 04:12 AM Re: expectations

Boomer Sibs - thank you for your kindness and your words, very greatefully received.

I should have said, if I gossip w/you, I'll gossip about you. Let's face it. We all gossip, some more or some less; some good and some bad. I hope I didn't come across as suggesting I'm better than anyone else.

And Evie - I also have to practice what I preach...every day practically. I've found it's *HARD* being a practicing Christian. But it's oh so worthwhile!

#46959 - 01/30/05 05:11 AM Re: expectations
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I taught her everything she knows....uh huh...did too. Right Thist?

JJ [Wink]

#46960 - 02/01/05 04:56 AM Re: expectations

Why yes, you did, Miss Queen of Experiences!

I think it was Eleanor Roosevelt who said, "Learn from other people's mistakes; none of us have enough time to make them all ourselves."

#46961 - 02/01/05 05:47 AM Re: expectations
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
JJ probably taught Eleanor Roosevelt too, what? She was how old? Its still a possibility isn't it??? ha, ha, ha!! [Eek!]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved