The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 96 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#174553 - 02/13/09 08:58 PM Micheal Phelps sinking...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am putting this here because current events is about the recent plane crash and I didn't want to cover it up...

I was wondering what we all think about Micheal Phelps, 8 times gold medal winner in the last Olympics, being caught smoking POT at a party??? It seems the media wants to demonize this young man and he is losing multi million dollar sponser deals, Kelloggs being one of them thats cutting and running. No more Kelloggs in my home!

I for one do not of course agree to anyone smoking pot or doing any drugs, but he is a kid, and from what anyone knows it was the first time and due somewhat to peer pressure.

I think after all he has given up of his young life to train to represent the United States in the Olympics, and do what he did (BRAVO!!) he should be at best given a slap on the wrist and left the hell alone. He apologized sincerely. So, whats your take on all this hullabaloo?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#174556 - 02/13/09 09:42 PM Re: Micheal Phelps sinking... [Re: chatty lady]
Ellemm Offline

I don't think what Michael Phelps did was so terrible, but he's not a little kid. He's 22 and old enough to figure out how to handle peer pressure. He'e also old enough to understand that the multimillion dollar contracts he signed are serious business. There well may be clauses in his contracts specifying penalties for getting arrested, etc. Kellog's can make their own decisions; they running their business, not me.

Phelps may have given his life to train for the Olympics, but that was his goal, not mine. He's not going to jail, which would be silly. He lost a sponsor; live and learn.

#174581 - 02/14/09 01:02 AM Re: Micheal Phelps sinking... [Re: Ellemm]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
He's a kid from my town, the age of my own son.

Frankly, I think we place way too much emphasis on sports and on athletes. Athletic ability is fine and dandy, but I don't think athletes are worth more than musicians, mathematicians, scientists, artists, teachers etc. It's ridiculous that corporations hire celebrity sponsors, and even more ridiculous that the public buys into it. He's not squeaky clean -- I'm sure it wasn't the first time and peer pressure is a lame excuse -- so if that's what they think they're paying for then they should drop him.

22 is old enough to know better. I don't like the entitlement attitude.

Edited by DJ (02/14/09 01:03 AM)

#174586 - 02/14/09 03:01 AM Re: Micheal Phelps sinking... [Re: DJ]
MustangGal
Unregistered

I'm disappointed by his actions. I work in the town where the 'crime' took place.

http://www.canada.com/Columbia+Authorities+build+case+against+Phelps/1285921/story.html

#174596 - 02/14/09 12:05 PM Re: Micheal Phelps sinking... [Re: DJ]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: DJ

Frankly, I think we place way too much emphasis on sports and on athletes. Athletic ability is fine and dandy, but I don't think athletes are worth more than musicians, mathematicians, scientists, artists, teachers etc. It's ridiculous that corporations hire celebrity sponsors, and even more ridiculous that the public buys into it. He's not squeaky clean -- I'm sure it wasn't the first time and peer pressure is a lame excuse -- so if that's what they think they're paying for then they should drop him.

22 is old enough to know better. I don't like the entitlement attitude.

Agreed! He broke the law. Pot is still illegal last I heard!

#174628 - 02/14/09 08:53 PM Re: Micheal Phelps sinking... [Re: Cookie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Plus once someone reaches "star' status they have to be aware that their lives are no longers theirs. There are people everywhere, just as in ths case, that have camera phones and are waiting like thieves to steal a piece of your identity from you, by catching you doing something wrong or stupid. Michaels life is under a micriscope now, and if he wants to remain in the lime light, he best remember that fact and behave accordingly.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#174630 - 02/14/09 09:03 PM Re: Micheal Phelps sinking... [Re: Cookie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I don't think athletes should be paid so much. They're given millions of dollars, get hurt once, and they're out. The players who get huge contracts, feel the need to use drugs so they can keep up with what's expected of them. And what's expected is beyond human accomplishment and requires drug inducements to maintain such a high level of achievement. I agree, Chatty. The news media seems delighted to bring someone down. They should back off. But he should've known better, too.

Edited by jabber (02/14/09 09:06 PM)

#174701 - 02/15/09 02:48 PM Re: Micheal Phelps sinking... [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Michael Phelps is an amazing athlete. Sorry he allowed something to sully his reputation and take the spotlight off achievements.

#174830 - 02/16/09 03:54 PM Re: Micheal Phelps sinking... [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Don't you think there is a lot of pressure that comes with being famous?

Edited by jabber (02/16/09 03:54 PM)

#174837 - 02/16/09 04:11 PM Re: Micheal Phelps sinking... [Re: jabber]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Yes, there is........................whatttt? Okay, okay, just joshin'....

I'm not making excuses for Michael, and I think whoever said that he's old enough to know how serious a contract like this is, AND SHOULD BE TAKEN, hit the nail on the head.

On the flip side, the media is hungry for BAD news. Can you remember a time when it wasn't?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved