The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 165 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44318 - 11/04/05 09:33 AM New Member
Lilac Butterfly Offline

Loc: Plains, Ga.
This is my first time here. I read about this site in the AARP Bulletin.

It looks as though I will enjoy myself here.

I am a mother of 3 and grandmother of 6 (only one girl). My husband and I have been married 25 years (my second husband).

Anyone else here a former "hippie"?

#44319 - 11/04/05 12:08 PM Re: New Member
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
Hey, Lilac!

I am supposed to be going to bed, but I just saw your moniker here and had to respond!!!!

Firstly, Lilacs have played a very important part in my life. I grew up where there were rows and rows of lilacs in my yard. Doubles, white, purple, lavendar, every color, every variety = and also crab apple trees and plum. In the spring it was the MOST beautiful place on earth. And I would gather the blossoms in great , huge, numbers and put them in every room in our house. The bigger the bunch, the better. Dramatic. And beautiful and sooooooooooo fragrant! Every spring , even today, I scour the alleyways to find lilacs and STEAL them!!!!!!

AS to butterflies ....I recently lost my daughter. Upon returning from the hospital, the day she died, there were probably 50 butterflies surrounding my front door. Now, I had never seen this in my entire life (I'm 58) = and they were swirling around me, touching my face, my hands, my body. Flying everywhere, engulfing me with their presence, their joy. And one in particular landed just by my face on the front door post and linguered there. I was transfixed. And surely convinced that this was my girl - freed at last from the horrible bonds of earth - happy and FLYING among angels. It is said that in Tibetan culture, there is no distinction between the word butterfly and soul. I believe them.

In any case, welcome here, and I was always a "wanna be" hippie. Had an afro, (I naturally have VERY curly hair)and was a tad "off" with my dress. But really a small town girl whose dad taught school where I attended - so he knew if I skipped out for 5 minutes.......wo was me, I had to follow "the rules"...

Searcher

(I did a number in college tho'- tee hee heee)

#44320 - 11/04/05 03:58 PM Re: New Member
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Welcome Lilac! So glad you found us here.....you can count me in the "former hippie" department (!).....I could say with confidence that I've "been there/done that" and thankfully am still here to tell the tale! LOL

I have a lot of great memories of the 60s & 70s as do many, many of us here......we're glad you've joined us and hope to see you "around" on the forum!

#44321 - 11/04/05 07:01 PM Re: New Member
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Pam, I'm laughing out loud at your post. I didn't peg you as a former hippie.

Searcher, you HAVE to meet lionspaaw. She has butterfly stories too. Her son died in his very early twenties. Search her out and email her. I think you'd hit it off.

Lilac, thank for coming in. I think you'll enjoy hanging out with us. How does the one girl in the family handle it?

Tell us about your hippie days in the Remember forum if you want.

Oh, I still haven't seen the BWS mention in the AARP Bulletin. Can you please tell me what it said. I'm dying to know.

#44322 - 11/04/05 07:18 PM Re: New Member
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Hi Lilac,

Like Searcher...I so love lilacs. When we lived in Warner Springs, Ca., lilacs lined the front of the screened in porch. Every morning I opened the front door and let the aroma fill the house.
Property at one time belonged to LON CHANEY, it consisted of one main house and 3 houses to the rear. It was said he stored liquor in the main house and lived in one of the smaller houses.
Find myself off the path again, anyways...

I am a mother of 5 and grandmother to only 1 so far. Looking forward to more.

I'm more than positive you will enjoy yourself here... welcome.

#44323 - 11/04/05 07:32 PM Re: New Member
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
Welcome, Lilac. Did you know they are our state flower here in NH? I absolutely love them.

Being on the "cusp" of the boomer generation, I missed out on the hippie movement. We were on our honeymoon when Woodstock happened, and didn't know what anyone was talking about because we didn't watch the news for 2 weeks. I've become much more politically and social aware since. LOL

#44324 - 11/04/05 07:49 PM Re: New Member
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hi Lilac,
Welcome to the Boomer women forum!

#44325 - 11/05/05 04:27 AM Re: New Member
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Wow we're in AARP too, will wonders never cease? Welome lilac, my favorte flower ever.

#44326 - 11/05/05 04:29 AM Re: New Member
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Welcome Lilac! My favorite flower also, and I, too, was a flower child!! Still got a little in me...

#44327 - 11/05/05 04:51 AM Re: New Member
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Actually, my favorite is Martha White...what? Okay, okay...Lilac, welcome girlfriend, to the greatest boomer home on the net.

If you want to discuss it, you can do it here.
If you want to scream about it, you can do that here too! If you want to gossip, come sit next to me, 'k?

Hugs, JJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved