The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 105 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#159255 - 09/09/08 06:53 AM Too late to write?
ShipMate Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I am just dying to take this course at a local University about food & travel writing. I actually haven't really written anything since high school and that was a long time ago but I used to love to write then.

I haven't written anything for fun forever...writing business memos and management reports does nothing for the creative side.

I love food and certainly love to travel.

Is this a stupid idea?

Any thoughts?
SM

"Cosmetics is a boon to every woman, but a girl's best friend is still a near-sighted man." Yoko Ono

#159261 - 09/09/08 07:06 AM Re: Too late to write? [Re: ShipMate]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Shipmate, it's definitely not stupid. It would only be stupid if you decided not to do it because of "age." And since this is something you're "dying to do" now -- if you don't, twenty years from now you'll look back and say, "I really wanted to take this course 20 years ago, but for some stupid reason, I didn't..."

Go for it! We get old when we stop learning.

Poet and essayist

#159277 - 09/09/08 08:07 AM Re: Too late to write? [Re: meredithbead]
Mountain Ash Offline

I write...each day.
Also as I go around my daily life collect up topics I see I want to write about.
And like crosswords writing can keep the brain ticking. words used in any form will be good.What you have been writing is all part of the process.
Apart from the happiness you will get.
Mountain ash

#159279 - 09/09/08 08:13 AM Re: Too late to write? [Re: Mountain Ash]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Mountain Ash, do you write in morning or evening... or whenever the itch comes.

#159287 - 09/09/08 11:18 AM Re: Too late to write? [Re: gims]
Mountain Ash Offline

I seem to be motivated when a topic arises.(A sunset which makes me stand for a time.Or a trip out of season to the coast)comes to mind.The months the seasons .As a tribute to those I love.
This started after journalling for a long time and one of a kind stand alone pieces started.
I contribute to a Scottish literature and poetry group.But although I have more than 100 works there I have hundreds more..This came to light when my computer needed attention .
I dont count but husbands words were "dumbfounded" Some early works are special and then my journey onwards is
tracked in my writing.
Its theraputic its creative its amazingly easy..my advice is to write for yourself.
I have a work in progress for a collection in hard copy..
Writing is part of my day.
Morning is good...you will find your own time.
Now promise you will start..soon
Mountain ash

#159304 - 09/09/08 02:20 PM Re: Too late to write? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Shipmate

Follow your heart and the call to do what moves you now. It matters not that you haven't "written" since high school...it matters what your own heart is telling you about now!

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!! Celebrate it!!!!!!!!!!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#159307 - 09/09/08 02:29 PM Re: Too late to write? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Shipmate

Follow your heart and the call to do what moves you now. It matters not that you haven't "written" since high school...it matters what your own heart is telling you about now!

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!! Celebrate it!!!!!!!!!!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#159308 - 09/09/08 02:39 PM Re: Too late to write? [Re: Mama Red]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
SM,

As you can see from the enthusiastic responses above, (sometimes double the enthusiam, LOL!) no one here would discourage you from following your desire to write. I would encourage you to go forward and give it a shot. You may find out that you LOVE it and cannot sleep for all of the ideas floating around in your head. It could give you a new lease on life...not that you need one.

Also, it can provide purpose; again, not that you need one. But when the heart begins to sing to us with desires, aren't they worth at least investigating?

Travel writing would be a joy for someone who doesn't mine lots of traveling, staying in hotels, and eating out. Sounds like a pretty good life to me. Others would hate it. But if you are of that mindset, why not find some travel writers and ask questions...find out what they love about it, what they hate...etc, to give you more of a idea what that life is like. Now obviously, I'm talking about travel writing on a large scale, not local.

And speaking of local, why not try you hand at writing a small article about some local area...or local restaurant, and submitting it to the local newspaper or one of those local "free" magazines? That would do two things for you...tell you if it is something you might want to do, and two, if it was accepted, give you the first clip you will need down the road, even if it is not a paying gig.

I think it is a wonderful idea but then again, I write for a living and I believe I have the best job in the world...so there's a tad bias there. LOL!

#159309 - 09/09/08 03:49 PM Re: Too late to write? [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I join the crowd in saying, go fot it. You have absolutely nothing to lose, and perhaps very much to gain - a new midlife passion.

You may want to consider entering the writing contest we have lsited at www.boomerwomenspeak.com.

#159571 - 09/12/08 12:33 AM Re: Too late to write? [Re: Dotsie]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Shipmate, it's never too late.

I met a travel writer a few years ago who was staying at the resort I work for with her family, having a great time, and getting paid to write about it.

What's stopping you?
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved