The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 194 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#42119 - 06/23/06 02:32 AM Breaking into Print
Mary Yerkes Offline

Loc: Eastern United States
Hello! I'm a professional writer with a trade association right outside of Washington, DC, and an award-winning freelance writer--published primarily in the evangelical Christian market.

I'm interested in doing more work in the general market and wonder if anyone could give me some suggestions for breaking into magazines like Family Circle, Redbook, or other family-friendly magazines?

I've had only one piece published in the general market (http://www.beliefnet.com/story/178/story_17808_1.html) , and I just learned a second made it to the final round in Chicken Soup for the Soul Healthy Living: Arthritis. I should learn shortly whether it makes the final cut.

I'd love some suggestions from those of you getting published in these markets.

Mary Yerkes
www.maryyerkes.com

#42120 - 06/23/06 03:06 AM Re: Breaking into Print
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Welcome Mary,
I see you've interviewed Ruth Graham. She had the table next to Pam Kimmell and I at a book festival last year. A very warm individual. I like your web site and I'm sure everyone here will jump in and give you good sound advice.

Please do stick around and enjoy yourself. You simply won't find a better place on the Internet.

JJ

#42121 - 06/23/06 10:50 PM Re: Breaking into Print
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Mary, one of the best things to do if you want to break into those magazines is read them. Get to know what they look for and what they print. Then, emulate that and submit similarly written pieces.

Here are the writing guidelines for Family Circle
http://www.familycircle.com/fc/file.jhtml?item=/help/writers_guidelines

Here's the writer's guidelines for Woman's Day
http://www.womansday.com/article.asp?section_id=22&article_id=5811&page_number=1

Hope this helps.

#42122 - 06/24/06 03:59 AM Re: Breaking into Print
Mary Yerkes Offline

Ladies,

It's a pleasure to meet you both, and I appreciate your input.

I plan on sticking around for awhile and learning from you both, along with the many talented authors this forum seems to draw.

Mary Yerkes
www.maryyerkes.com
www.maryyerkes.typepad.com

#42123 - 06/24/06 04:05 AM Re: Breaking into Print
Mary Yerkes Offline

I'd like to clarify. I'm open to suggestions for breaking into any family-friendly or health periodical in the general market--not just Family Circle and Women's Day.

I've done fairly well in the inspirational market, with over 75 sales in the last 24 months or so. However, I'm looking to increase my exposure and experience.

#42124 - 07/10/06 03:51 PM Re: Breaking into Print [Re: Mary Yerkes]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Mary,
From the looks of this, we need to learn from you. 75 sales in the last 24 months is a good average. You go girl. One thing you might want to try and do is narrow down your local market, then take it in bigger chunks. In other words, have you sold to all of the newspapers, magazines, and newsletters in your LOCAL area that you can? Check bulletin boards at churches, supermarkets, and libaries. They usually show things like book clubs, special newsletters, or events going on in the area that you might could participate in, or get a new writing gig. Just a thought. These usually lead to other circles, bigger and wider...JJ

#42125 - 07/10/06 05:35 PM Re: Breaking into Print [Re: jawjaw]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Mary, I don't write for mags but my editor does and we were recently talking about this very thing. She was one of the many writers for Family Circle, etc, which is nice but here is the big problem. A lot of these mags have been bought by outside companies and in the process, they dumped all of their writers who had been loyal for years. Now, they must all resubmit and hopefully, be accepted again.

A lot of the mags are losing readership due to the Internet, etc. and therefore, they have lost a lot of their advertisers.

I hope this helps a little.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#42126 - 02/12/08 06:01 AM Re: Breaking into Print [Re: Dianne]
Feon Davis Offline

Loc: USA
Actually, I like to ask how I can get my writing out there in A Christian magazine like you have Mary. I have published few online.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved