The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 185 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#136751 - 01/05/08 04:41 PM Please Hire an Editor
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hello writers, There are more people eager to write their memoirs than ever before. Many authors have the motivation to offer hope to others who have also been in domestic violence and/or child abuse. With the use of print-on-demand as a form of self-publishing, these books can be brought to the public easier than ever. I get asked to review books pertaining to the topics in my memoir. I was sent a book this week that I don't know if I can get through. It has 486 pages in a 8x5 paperback, small print. Typos are numerous. As for the writing, it is full of redundancies. There are no descriptives other than this or that was "small" or the teacher was "nice." I did not even learn what the main character looked like until page 45, blonde and blue eyed. I will give the author kudos for being brave to tell her story, but cannot give 5 stars due to the awful way it is written. If you or anyone you know is considering publishing a book, please, please hire an editor. This will give the industry of self-publishing a better image. The number one reason self publishing is not given a good reputation in the publishing industry? Poorly crafted and unedited bodies of work. Also, it will make for better reading. I wrote a chapter for an upcoming book based on my publishing a memoir. I was asked what was my #1 advice. This is it: Hire an editor. There, that's my lecture for today. PL

Edited by Princess Lenora (01/05/08 05:16 PM)

#136752 - 01/05/08 05:05 PM Re: Please Hire an Editor [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Amen!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#136753 - 01/06/08 01:21 AM Re: Please Hire an Editor [Re: Dianne]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Lenora, you wouldn't believe the assortment of 20 pages of writers work I get monthly where the writer states, I probably won't need anything because my mother, father, neighbor, best friend etc., etc. read it and said its just fine...
On all the best read writers sites I offer to EDIT 20 pages of anyones work absolutely FREE to show them exactly what a professional writer/EDITOR does...Most are shocked (and embarrassed) when they get their pages back, and realize that educated eyes and experience is the way to go...
As good of an editor as I am, I have my own work checked out by another editor for all the same reasons.
Hire an editor, so your own words don't make you look like an amatuer...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#136754 - 01/06/08 02:42 AM Re: Please Hire an Editor [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
In both jewelry and writing, there are amateur hobbyists, and there are professionals.

About twice a year at the market, someone comes up to me and asks if I can sell their work.
#1, I never sell anyone else's jewelry, #2, it's often poorly constructed, and #3, it's usually an unimaginative rip-off of some current fad.

What you got were the poorly-typed up notes of an amateur. You can't give it 5 stars?? to me, it sounds like it deserves no more than 2.

It's fine and therapeutic for HOBBYISTS to make jewelry or write their memoirs. It's another thing if they expect to sell it. You're not doing anyone a favor by pretending it's good when it's really horrendous. If you give an OK review to something that's basically unreadable, then it also reflects on your standards as a reviewer.

My best advice to you? Hand it back and simply say that it doesn't meet your standards for review, and briefly explain why. Maybe even give applause for bravery, and say, "You should keep this as a record of what you've survived" but stress how much editing it needs if it's to go public.

Poet and essayist

#136755 - 01/06/08 02:57 PM Re: Please Hire an Editor [Re: meredithbead]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I agree. Hire an editor. I wrote 2 manuscripts and had 7 ordinary folks' read them. In the meantime, I discovered I had PTSD; Princess will testify, that disorder blocks a writer from seeing their own work as others see it. I'd never attempt to self-publish anything, before hiring a good editor with plenty of experience. Educated advice far surpasses the humiliation you'll suffer if you don't. In my own defense, I didn't know then, what I know now.

Edited by bonnierose333 (01/06/08 02:58 PM)

#136756 - 01/06/08 04:32 PM Re: Please Hire an Editor [Re: jabber]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Twice I have agreed to "review" a book for friends, for free..never again. The mannies were horrible, they had not even run it through spellcheck, and not only that, the storyline was bad as well. One person thought she was going to take the world by storm with a book that said nothing, meant nothing, and held nothing for the reader. She is a legend in her own mind. She was actually going to try and sell this "fluff" to the public and was insulted when I gave her two pages of why it would NOT sell and what was wrong with it. I was very constructive; she took it as criticism. She has since that very day, cease to be a friend (her choice) and has told me in uncertain terms that her friends ALL said it was magnificant. I said, then go forward with it, by all means. She never did.

The other person thought editing was the last step and would be performed by the publisher and therefore, I could read through it untouched. She thought she had a best-selling "funny" book. Not. It was brash, use bad language, and she rated it "family-friendly." Again, her hubby said it was wonderful.

I have a form that I normally have people fill out before I will review, edit, or look over their work. Then, I have a comprehensive set of forms I fill out AFTER I have and this is what the author gets back. I don't pull any punches.

I refuse to walk all over someone else's dream. That isn't my purpose or desire. But when they come to me, especially paying customers, they expect honesty, respect for their hard work, and my opinion. It is my job to help, if I can.

After a first draft, hire a GOOD editor. Hire someone that has been doing it for a long time, has customers you can get references from, and NEVER, EVER, make it your hubby, mother, sisters, or close friends.

This all goes back to treating your manuscript and your work as a business. If you want someone to give you hype, get a buddy to read it. They'll tell you what you need to hear.

You get what you pay for. Make it count.

There are lots of self-publishing companies out there who will tell you that the editing is included in your price and it might be. Who is doing the edits? Ask BEFORE you sign on the dotted line. Are they a professional editor who have been in the biz a long time and have a good rep? Or are they the publisher's husband who they have hired for a double income? Or someone who decided TODAY...I AM AN EDITOR.

It all goes back to doing your homework. How important is your work?

I learned all of this the hard way. That is why I wrote all of this. I don't want YOU to do the same.

#136757 - 01/06/08 04:37 PM Re: Please Hire an Editor [Re: jabber]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Thanks for the input. I cannot continue to read this book. On one page she writes "I don't remember my mother." On the next page she writes "I vaguely remember my mother." Which is it? And if she vaguely remembers her mother, in what way? Lovingly or fearfully? I'm not getting anything for this review. What happens is that a writer will see my site or will have read my book, and then ask me to endorse or review hers. There's nothing in it for me except to post the review on Amazon and have a by-line indicating My book, as well as promoting awareness of child abuse, etc. I like what Meredith says about standards. And Bonnie, none of us knew then of what we know now. Chatty, that's a good idea about the 1st 20 pages. Amen!

#136758 - 01/07/08 02:41 PM Re: Please Hire an Editor [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
When my book was first released, I suddenly received phone calls from women wanting to know how to write, publish, whatever. What a drag! I started giving them my editor's phone number until she threatened to kill me. I'm not a writing service and I'm not an editor! People fail to do their own research and homework and expect others to do it for them or give them easy answers. That and college students calling me wanting me to basically do their term paper for them.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved