The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 114 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#93880 - 10/30/06 10:18 PM Book Campaigns
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I've been reading a lot about people launching the book campaigns like "What Stops You " just did, and I'm very excited for her success.

However, I wonder if anyone else has felt the same way I do about these campaigns? I "bit" and bought a book in one of these special campaigns that offered a gazillion and one benefits, rewards, ebooks, etc. (It was not from anyone on this site.)

I must say, I was very disappointed and actually felt kind of ripped off. I paid $14.95 plus shipping for the book, which was the thing I wanted most - yet it came and it was very small, not nearly of the quality or as good as I had hoped. Not worth $14.95 at all.

Then I went to the website to get all my freebies, and was disappointed in many of those as well. I had to give my email address for most of them, and am still to this day cancelling some of the emails that come in.

Am I the only one who has experienced this? I know it seems to be the way to get to #1, but I'm not tempted by these offers anymore.

Not sure how popular this post will be, but that's what forums are for, right? To post our thoughts?

Kathy

#93881 - 10/30/06 10:28 PM Re: Book Campaigns [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Hi Kathy

Yes, I have felt this way more than once. Not only through Amazon, but through other on-line markets, as well.

Last year I took a tele-conference that lasted two weeks. I did like the conference, but the freebies were really a pain in the neck. Many were labled as valued at $100-300 and I would not have paid a buck or two if I had seen them ahead of time.

Then, like you, I deleted and unsubscribed for months to offers and worthless newsletters.

I don't blame the authors or presenters, but the pressure of online marketing. How do you get seen, known, without buying into this new way of marketing yourself?

Thanks for starting this potentially unpopular post.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#93882 - 10/30/06 10:33 PM Re: Book Campaigns [Re: Anno]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Could you explain what a book campaign is? I've never heard of it.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#93883 - 10/31/06 12:18 AM Re: Book Campaigns [Re: Dianne]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Yes, I too am wondering what you are talking about. So far, whatever it is it sounds like more trouble than it's worth!

#93884 - 10/31/06 12:54 AM Re: Book Campaigns [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
The one I ordered was for a book that sounded good for expanding my business. The email I received, from someone I know, said that if you go to Amazon and order their book on a particular day (or two), you will get the book PLUS super special ebooks, deals, discounts, etc, etc. from a variety of partners.

Then everyone gets excited about these super deals, many times valued at $1,000-3,000 or more, and they all go buy the book on the designated day. Then, that book rockets to the top of Amazon's Best Seller list for that day or week or whatever.

So anyone able to offer these super deals (which I did not find so super, but maybe others would?) and with a big email list, can potentially get their book labeled as #1, no matter if the book is worth it or not.

I know some folks on here have done or are planning this type of promotion, and I wish them all the best. And lots of people may find these deals that come with the book very useful. I just don't have time to read all the free ebooks or newsletters or promotional material that they offered.

I truly hope I'm not offending anyone, it's just my experience.

#93885 - 11/11/06 05:50 PM Re: Book Campaigns [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
positiveliving Offline

Loc: Wiltshire, UK
Rick and June

As an Author I am with you on this one. I can see why they do it but I can't see myself doing it. I suppose the question is how long does the hype last though about the book? Anyone can experience fame for 15 minutes but it's the staying power that will count long term and financially, don't you think?

'because life is not about the challenge' ?
www.positivelivingprogramme.com

#93886 - 11/11/06 06:58 PM Re: Book Campaigns [Re: positiveliving]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
That's the key Samantha, and I couldn't agree more. Those people are here today, gone tomorrow. I would love to ask them, "Do you REALLY think you are impressing me?"

I am slammed constantly with people who send these emailing campaigns out and they are sent straight the trash bin. Somebody, somewhere, at some given conference or teleconference, or SOME book they read, told these people that if you can badger consumers to death, you'll eventually wear them down and they'll bite. Not only that, I've gotten email book promo's from people I don't even know. These bandits have been told that it's perfectly legal and morally "okay" to harvest email addresses and send out promo's to thousands of people. Hello? Since when? It's called SPAM! To me these people are the lowest of the low.

There are good, legimate ways to sell your work and the only people getting wealthy by these other means are the ones who sold YOU the junk telling you to do it that way.

I have NO respect for the author who uses these kinds of tricks, and I wouldn't buy their product(s) if they were free.

You can always tell the person who has been talked into one of these methods by the "buzz words" they use. They are all the same. ACT TODAY! #1 Best Seller on Amazon --- Don't Loose Out! Unbelievable BONUS --- Tailored just for you! The book that can change your life! Backed by _____! (You fill in the blank) --- and on and on ad nauseam

Strong message to follow.

JJ

#93887 - 11/11/06 10:51 PM Re: Book Campaigns [Re: jawjaw]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
You know, I've always gotten a bad feeling from one of those promotions. Mostly because the cynic in me couldn't beleive I'd be really getting all the VALUABLE information for such a teeny tiny price. If it's really so valuable, why are they giving it away?
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved