The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 130 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#39147 - 11/24/04 03:15 AM The future of publishing
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I was in a discussion with some prominent professors, writers, and publishers this past weekend.
They stated that many literary agents are suffering as a result of the trend toward self-publishing and Publish on Demand and many are expected to abandon their agencies soon.
Several traditional publishers have either changed their operations to Publish on Demand or closed. It is predicted that many more will either change or close.

It seems that the P.O.D.'s and self published books have impacted the market so as to diminish the market for individual titles to the point where "major publisher" and "best seller" is almost meaningless.

Just an observation. Anyone else have ideas?
smile

[ November 23, 2004, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#39148 - 01/09/05 07:27 PM Re: The future of publishing
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Considering the benefits of self-publishing I'm not surprised at all!

When you self-publish you do more work, but you also reap more! Also, you're in control of the work.

POD doesn't demand great expenses, and ensures you dont end up with boxes full of books you're unable to sell.

Each method of publishing has its ups and downs!
But I'm sure glad to hear self-publishing and POD have impacted the whole publishing business!

[Smile] That makes it easier for the little ones like you and me to have a better chance of success! [Big Grin]

#39149 - 01/10/05 08:22 AM Re: The future of publishing
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
In the same meeting, they said that four of the five nominees (all women) for the Book of the Year award determined by the major publishing houses have sold less than 1000 copies of their books (400 to 600 with one selling 1500.) I believe the winner has been named though I don't remember who it is or the name of the book.

The intenet, television, computer games, movies, and the estrangement of young people from reading probably afffect the market adversely, but I beleive low sales volume for individual titles to be primarily the result of P.O.D.'s which ahve diluted the market for individual titles.

I loved the IBM? ad where the prof is telling his students about the futility of publishing their work when one of the students pipes up to say that the prof is wrong because now we are all publishers. So true.

I am forever astounded by the power of the internet. It is so powerful. It even affected the recent Presidential election. It is simply amazing. We are living in a wonderful time.

Anyone have any ideas?
smile

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved