The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#37460 - 01/20/04 06:00 AM Hobby Farm Magazine
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Hobby Farm Magazine e-mailed and said they are publishing my essay in their new Readers Resume column. Yeah! First piece in a national magazine and will be in their "next issue"...I think they mean June/July. They want me to send photos of me working on the farm...oh joy...this is phat season...I work in quilted Carharts. I'll look like everyone's phat Granny <g>.

Another six hours, a lot of it on the mountain because the spring was stopped up again. This is getting rude. Temps were in single digits because of wind chill. My bones are still achey...aspirin and bed for me.

#37461 - 01/20/04 11:19 PM Re: Hobby Farm Magazine
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Congratulations on acceptance in a national magazine!

I noticed a post from you on the Children's Writers Yahoo list. I assumed it was you. I don't know how many Sandy's are from Thistle Cove. [Big Grin]

And I'm sure you'll look great in your pics!

Donna

#37462 - 01/21/04 04:59 PM Re: Hobby Farm Magazine
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thistle, will we be able to see it online? Please let us know. [Big Grin]

#37463 - 01/21/04 07:52 PM Re: Hobby Farm Magazine

Hi Donna - yep, that was me on CW. Someone asked about historical photos. The Library of Congress has thousands and thousands of photos, not sure how one goes about using them but an 8x10 can be bought for just a few dollars. Imagine having a Margaret Burke-White or D. Lange photo!

The Hobby Farm Mag is not on line but go to a BAM or B&N and peruse a free copy. <g>

Dave brought the camera to take photos when I was feeding yesterday afternoon. He lasted about 10 minutes before the whining and cursing started. Something about being cold, heck, it was almost 32 above! I wore a colorful jacket so at least I look colorfully phat! <g>

#37464 - 03/13/04 01:47 AM Re: Hobby Farm Magazine

Someone told me the April issue of Hobby Farms magazine is on the newsstands; I'm the Reader's Resume for this issue. That's a good thing; the bad thing is...it brought out some strange people. I got an e-mail from someone in LA (as in the state) who wanted to know if I would ship her my white faced dead lambs so she could have them stuffed. She would then take photos of them and little children in her photo studio. She said she'd send me freezer packs and container so they would keep for the journey.

YIKES! is it me or does anyone else think that's a little bit outside the nebula?

THANK YOU GOD that I didn't have any white face lambs to die this year!!!!

I'm curious to see what photos they used. I sent them some pretty funny ones.

#37465 - 03/13/04 06:11 AM Re: Hobby Farm Magazine
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Sandra, congrats on the publication!

As far as the email from LA, my first thought was, will the lambs be posed with live children or dead ones? Sorry, but that whole thing was way too weird for me. Scary, actually.

#37466 - 03/13/04 06:57 AM Re: Hobby Farm Magazine
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
My husband and I thought the number of scourgings in "The Passion" was excessive and not Biblical so we looked up 'Roman scourge' online and I posted a site about them on here somewhere. (We thought they were limited to 39 stripes, but Mel was right. There was no limit for Roman soldiers.)
Anyway, later I went back and checked the site and turns out they have a lot of info about scourging, and sell scourges, and they also sell stuffed lambs and peacocks and other weird stuff.
Maybe it's the same folks.
Sorry if anyone went to the site and got grossed out.
smile

#37467 - 03/14/04 05:03 AM Re: Hobby Farm Magazine

Y'all help me out here, please & thanks. Dave and I bought a copy of the Hobby Farms mag where my "article" appears...they had told me they paid $50 per article plus that's what they advertised in the Jan issue. Well...at the end of the article it says something to the effect that "Sandra has been given a pair of ___ horse clippers for her article." I raise CURLY horses for the love of pete! I do NOT use clippers!!! (I'm laughing out loud here...) Is it kosher for me to sell the danged clippers which arrived this week? PLEASE say YES!

And at least they used the good photograph that doesn't make me look like Ma and Pa wuz fust cuzzins.

#37468 - 03/14/04 10:40 AM Re: Hobby Farm Magazine
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
First I'd write them and make sure you're getting the $50. If they say the clippers were a substitution, tell them to send you a postage paid box and you'll send the clippers back, and explain why. No matter what, you're not obligated to keep the clippers. It's not like a wedding gift from a blood relative.

#37469 - 03/14/04 10:38 PM Re: Hobby Farm Magazine
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sandra, I agree with meredithead, first query them about your $50.00 and then either send back the clippers (but then you'd have to pay for postage) or since they're yours now, sell the stupid things. No postage that way and the profit is yours. Hopefully that way you'll hasve $50.00 bucks and the cost of the clippers, not bad and congradulations on the sale of your artice. I like others would like to read it and I will personally buy the magazine.....Writers supporting writers. [Big Grin] YES!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved