The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 119 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#37486 - 01/29/04 03:15 PM Finding A Publisher - My Journey!
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Hi Everyone....Dotsie suggested I might post my experience in finding a publisher for my first novel - due out in print this Spring. It's been a rocky road and maybe some of the things I experienced - the good, the bad, and the ugly - will help someone else making this journey to publication!

Two years ago I had completed writing my "blockbuster mystery novel" and began looking for a literary agent. I started looking on the internet and found lots of excellent resources available to me. Also visited my local library and read up on how to write a query, form a synopsis that would grab attention, and THEN I was off and running.

I sent about sixty letters or email queries out and waited for results. It was disappointing to say the least. All but three of the agents sent back a form letter saying "thanks but no thanks". One well known agent suggested I consider joining some writers groups and start "networking" with other mystery writers, and one said she'd LOVE to represent me but she'd need some money first (A BIG NO NO).....then, miracle of miracles, I found an agent who didn't want ANYTHING from me but my book. She was young, very gung-ho, seemed to be very savvy, and interested in me AND my book, and believed she could sell it to a "name" publisher.....SO I signed a contract with her. She was great - at first. But before long she had FIFTY clients, and after a year had made lots of promises which she hadn't kept. Well - needless to say, most of us began abandoning the sinking ship. I was one of the first to do so. She admitted in the end that she had gotten so wrapped up in the "friendship" aspects of the relationship with her clients that she just didn't have time (??) to do the work. She closed down her "business" shortly after.

I was so disappointed....but I began submitting some of my OTHER material (short stories, poetry, etc.) to several online magazines with success, maintained my friendships with a lot of writers I'd gotten to know, took a job as Fiction Editor for an ezine, then decided it was time to find a publisher on my own - sans agent!

I researched publishers online and at the library - found quite a few who "specialized" in mysteries - and sent out another batch of queries. I felt confident that I could represent myself without benefit of an agent.....if I was successful, I might consider that down the line but as a novice I wanted to try going it on my own.

I was fortunate enough to have TWO small publishers want my book. Based on the fact that Hilliard & Harris liked to publish mysteries, and particularly SERIES (which I intend to do), I signed with them. I'm thrilled. I'm excited. I'm a "survivor" of the bad literary agent pitfall and will see my book in print this Spring.

It can happen....you just have to believe in yourself and keep going when you get tripped up. Having faced adversity plenty of times in my 56 years made me strong enough to pursue my dream. And now it's coming true!

#37487 - 01/29/04 03:45 PM Re: Finding A Publisher - My Journey!
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Pam.

What an interesting and encouraging post. And helpful as well. Your persistence and talent is apparently paying off. How thrilling. I can just imagine your excitement at this point. I hope You'll keep us posted as the book progresses. Tell us about the details like how you chose the cover and how the edits and rewrites went and the marketing.

We'll be first in line to it when it gets to the book stores. I'm excited for you. Thank you.

smile

#37488 - 01/29/04 04:29 PM Re: Finding A Publisher - My Journey!
Pam Kimmell Offline

Glad the story made some sense...sometimes before my first cup of coffee in the morning things DON'T make much sense!!

I will keep everyone posted as I continue on my journey. Should hear from my publisher soon about final edits, covers, etc. and will post that info as it "unfolds"....I'm glad this is of interest to someone.

Something I meant to say in my original post was I encourage everyone to INVESTIGATE an agent or a publisher before signing up - query their clients or other authors, etc. - look them up on "watchdog" websites - educate yourself. If other writers have reported problems, you can find that out......in other words empower yourself FIRST - not after a bad experience.

[Razz] [Wink] Pam

#37489 - 01/29/04 05:08 PM Re: Finding A Publisher - My Journey!
smilinize Offline

I wondered exactly how you found the first agent and the publisher also. Did they respond to your mailed queries or were they referred to you? Did you find them online or in a book or where? That is covered in your previous post, but I wasn't sure of the source of the no good agent though I assumed the publisher came from a mailed query.

I think we all need to know where to look and how. Also where not to look.

Thanks.

smile

[ January 29, 2004, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#37490 - 01/30/04 01:03 AM Re: Finding A Publisher - My Journey!
Pam Kimmell Offline

I found my agent online. She had a beautiful website - very "warm" and inviting.....she had a list of 10 authors posted and although she had no sales to her credit she had been in business only a year - which really is about when you'd expect a brand new agent to at least BEGIN to have a sale or two. She also was very friendly, conducted a once a week chat with all of her authors, and made a LOT of promises.

My publisher I found online too. There are some wonderful websites with great information available - my favorites are "Preditors & Editors" and "Writers Beware". There you can find out the inside info on agents who have been reported for various problems by their former clients - AND ditto on publishing scams, unscrupulous business practices, etc. [Frown]

Before I pursued the query letter process with the list of publishers I formulated from my internet research, I checked the "watch dog" websites to see if there was any negative information out there......that's what I meant about educating ourselves and checking to see if other authors signed up with an agent or a publisher are happy with their experience. [Big Grin]

There are some really GREAT agents out there who are happy to work with newcomers....and there are publishers who will accept unagented submissions. You just have to do your "homework".

Pam [Smile]

#37491 - 02/04/04 03:21 AM Re: Finding A Publisher - My Journey!
Pam Kimmell Offline

A bit of an "update" on my book status - just had to share this because I'm so excited (those of you who have had books published and find this whole thing "ho hum" please forgive me!!!!!).....ANYWAY I had an email from my publisher this evening to let me know:

1. they have a cover designed for my book BUT will still use my oil painting (which I submitted as a possible cover) on the inside jacket.
2. the proofs will be sent to me by the end of this month.
3. ARCs will go out right away (Advanced Reader Copies).
4. I will have either a Spring (April/May) release or Fall (August/September)......

Now - any of you ladies who have had to decide this Spring vs. Fall issue - any recommendations? I know they are both prime times for releases...... [Confused]

I can't believe this is finally going to happen. WOW.......OK - I'll calm down now! [Razz]

Pam

#37492 - 02/04/04 04:55 AM Re: Finding A Publisher - My Journey!
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Pam, I am VERY much interested and excited for you!

If it comes out in the fall, you can do a big push for Christmas!

I don't really know that much about the timing of book releases. If I actually had a book coming out, any time would be great! [Big Grin]

Donna

#37493 - 02/04/04 05:37 AM Re: Finding A Publisher - My Journey!
smilinize Offline

Oh my goodness Pam, I bet you are scraping yourself off the ceiling. I would be. How exciting. And using your painting is a bonus.

I am so excited for you. I have no idea about the timing of pulications. Personally, I would probably just say ASAP!!! The sooner the better. I wouldn't be able to wait.

Congratulations.

smile

#37494 - 02/04/04 01:44 PM Re: Finding A Publisher - My Journey!
Pam Kimmell Offline

Thanks ladies.....yes, my inclination is to get the book out ASAP too. I guess I'll just hang on and see what THEY suggest - I'm new at all of this!

I appreciate your support though. It's exciting but a little scary too (know what I mean??)...I'm not all that GREAT at public speaking and most of the libraries expect lecture/Q&A type deals if you ask them if they will host a signing. Maybe since I know my subject so well (haha) it will just come naturally to me.

DEEP BREATH - ONE THING AT A TIME..... [Wink]

Pam

#37495 - 02/11/04 03:44 PM Re: Finding A Publisher - My Journey!
Pam Kimmell Offline

A tiny update.....my publisher released the 2004 schedule yesterday and it shows my book as a June 1 release. Other authors tell me that's probably a little "flexible" (!!) but at least I now have a REAL target date.

Another author at Hilliard & Harris published a "diary" on his website that has been very helpful to me in knowing the "steps" I'll be going through to the actual release. His name is A.J. Garrotto, and in case anyone would be interested in the diary, it's here on his link - "Circles of Stone" Publication Diary is what I'm referring to.....very interesting and informative. When I told him how GREAT I thought it was, he asked if he could use my "quote" on his site!

http://www.blsinc.com/products/garrotto.htm

Anyway - just thought I'd let you know of the June 1st release date.... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Pam

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved