The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 187 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#152026 - 06/24/08 11:01 AM Writing Group Mania
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I didn't want to cover up Meredith's post so I put this here. My writing group had another meeting. There were 7 of us this time. That worked great. Although there are 12 members altogether, it works best if they are not all at one meeting. Summer schedules helped and 2 cancelled at the last minute due to emergencies. But, it went well. They are enthusiastic and talented. There was a wonderful connection with the ones who were there. The problem is that there are others interested in joining and I think I have to cap it where it is. It took the full two hours for everyone to read and to do critiques. I would have to extend the time and I don't know that I can find us a big enough meeting place if we go beyond this. I'm having fun with it for sure.

#152027 - 06/24/08 06:15 PM Re: Writing Group Mania [Re: Louisa]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Louisa, what a success! I know I would LOVE to attend too!

How often do you meet? And do you have a plan as the founder and leader, or do you decide what to do all together?

#152028 - 06/24/08 10:04 PM Re: Writing Group Mania [Re: Edelweiss]
Louisa Offline

And I would love to have you, EW! What fun we'd have. We meet once a month on a Saturday morning right now. Everyone seems happy with that. I pretty much plan it, but I ask them what they want. I email them with any news and I make a list of writing prompts to pass out at meetings for those who want ideas on what to write. Each writer seems to have their own project and they enjoy getting into the critiqueing and so far, have been giving each other the nudge they need to write and to work on their projects. We all help each other.

#152029 - 06/25/08 02:04 PM Re: Writing Group Mania [Re: Louisa]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
It sounds as though you have really created something grand here Louisa. And so well organized, too. If I lived closer, I would be begging to get in that group.

Our own Jane Carroll has a group that has been meeting for years. Jane...tell everyone about your group if you would?

#152030 - 06/25/08 04:22 PM Re: Writing Group Mania [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Louisa, I recall you playing with the idea of doing this. Aren't you glad you took action.

I hope this motivates others among us to pick up the ball and get it rolling - no matter what it is we want to do.

I'm happy to hear it's going so well. Maybe another person will jump up to begin another group since there are so many who are interestd.

Thaks God for leaders like you. Don't you wonder what would have happened to the other gals had you never started this? They'd all be sitting around saying, "I'd love to be in a writing group."

#152031 - 06/28/08 05:09 AM Re: Writing Group Mania
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Louisa, you're doing a fantastic job! I'm lucky to be in a really great group for 3+ years now. The feedback is invaluable.

Poet and essayist

#152032 - 06/29/08 12:48 AM Re: Writing Group Mania [Re: meredithbead]
Louisa Offline

Thank you. I am pleased and amazed with my group. Meredith is right, the feedback is wonderful. I'm lucky enough to have found a mixed group with some talented and experienced writers and some novice ones who seem to have great potential. I never expected so much enthusiasm or so many writers.

#152033 - 06/29/08 08:32 AM Re: Writing Group Mania [Re: Louisa]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Louisa, do members have to pay you a fee, and if so may I ask how much?

#152034 - 06/29/08 12:18 PM Re: Writing Group Mania [Re: Edelweiss]
Louisa Offline

Oh no, EW. This is just a group. The group I was in before was really a class. We paid a fee because the woman who ran it was a teacher. We paid for her input and advice. I'm not qualified as a teacher. We just meet, read our work, critique and share ideas.

#152035 - 06/30/08 12:27 AM Re: Writing Group Mania [Re: Louisa]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
I've been in a writing group for over 5 years. It's very small. At one time had 5 but it went down to 4 with 3 active members. We met weekly and critiqued each others work and sometimes helped each other develop their novels.

Out of the 5 of us, all but one are published. So we're happy about that. However, one of the 4 left members recently moved to Kentucky and another is battling lung cancer so the meetings have stopped for now.

I will say that I miss the meetings but, you know, we've become the best of friends over the years and that's more important to me than the meetings.

Congratulations Louisa on the group. It's fun, fascinating, and exciting to help others with their writing and to get help with yours. I agree with the others, thank God you started the group because there truely are so very many sitting out there wondering where any group for writers are.

Glad you're doing great girl.
www.tidedancer.com

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved