The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 209 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#87519 - 09/06/06 02:01 PM Writing advice needed
msdiana Offline

Loc: Stuttgart, Germany
Dear All,

I'm looking for advice on a delicate matter with regard to a particular topic of writing.

One of the social workers here on base who is familiar with my marital situation gave me the name of a friend of hers whom she said was a literary agent. She said her friend might be interested in publishing my journal entries about living in a sexless marriage. I did contact her friend and realized she was a hack when she asked for $1,000 up front -- before reading a word. I didn't sign on with her.

It did get me to thinking, though, perhaps I could get the journal entries published in book form. I'm hesitant for two reasons.

First there is the matter of anonymity. I would not submit my children to the kind of attention such a book would bring. The two oldest are in college. Additionally, and just as importantly, my husband would suffer untold humilitation professionally and personally if anyone he knew were to get wind of what is (or rather, what isn't) going on in our home. My own suffering aside for a moment, punishing him is not my goal. My goal is to share with those women who may or may not know they aren't the only ones living in a sexless marriage in a society that thinks only wives end up this way. If my journal entries were to be published, the book would have to published under a pseudonym. I'm no Stephen King (Richard Bachman) and I have no idea how the literary world would respond to such a request.

Second, there is the issue of need. I can find no books similar to the one I would be submitting. There are a number of advice books about sexless marriages but almost all of them address the sexless wife and no book I've found speaks exclusively of the experience as a wife whose husband is sexless. I find rereading my journals to be illuminating and inspiring. It helps me to track where I've been and gives me a better idea of where I am (further along) and where I'm headed (better places). I wonder if others in the same situation might also be aided by it. Because I can find nothing similar on the market, I have to wonder if it's because there's a niche to fill or if it means the need isn't great enough to warrant a book on the topic.

I have enclosed (following this message) an excerpt from my journal to give you some idea of my approach. If you would be so kind, could you share your thoughts? Do you think there is a need? If so, is anonymity the way to go?

I appreciate your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Diana

I have listened to him many times. When we are alone, he speaks with a voice very different from the one he uses with others. This voice, his voice, is dark and angry. I've heard him say it doesn't matter that I love him. I've heard him say he had sex when he didn't want to. These are not the kinds of things he says in counseling so the counselors don't hear it. There, he speaks in circles -- blaming others for his unhappiness, specifically blaming me, but he'll readily blame others as it suits him, even inanimate objects and situations.

Asked numerous times what he wants, he skirts the question, changes the subject and fiddles with a nearby knick-knack while lamenting what lazy and irresponsible teenagers we have; this, despite their part time jobs and full time class loads since both were 16-years-old. He tells the counselors I need to cut the cord. They suggest I learn to separate myself from my children; perhaps he doesn't feel like there is room for him in my life. I tell them the children are 20 and 21 years old. They live, work and attend university in a different country and have for some time now. I suggest this would not be allowed by a woman who couldn't separate herself from her children. He never answers the question of what he wants, but does say he doesn't get what he wants. The counselor asks me what I'm willing to do. What does he want, I ask. She says, Weren't you listening to him?

Once again we never quite get around to the crux of the matter, that he doesn't touch anyone and he doesn't want to be touched. Not by me and not by the children who stood at the airport with tear-brimmed eyes after he recoiled from their hugs goodbye some two years ago. He would later say he must've misunderstood; he thought they were crying "because the free ride was over."

I tell them things he's said, things he's done. He denies them, then defends them. When he has trouble verbalizing himself or stares out the window in response to questions that contain feeling words, they turn to me.

I didn't realize I was being placed in a position of authority by them and competition by him until a great deal of damage had been done to both of us by each other. I thought I was being responsible, caring, giving, sharing of the chores and duties. I didn't see a scoreboard. I didn't know that what he needed was the very thing he feared most and that I would not only be caught in that conflict, I would, in his eyes, become the conflict. I thought we were interdependent. I didn't know I was a rival. I thought we were partners. Had I known and understood what was going on, I could have stopped my part in it. When I did realize it I did stop. I refused his relentless bids to put back me in that role. He has chosen to spin this into my having rejected him. The irony is nauseating.

The counselors say, "He is scared. Give again. Teach him not to be afraid." I cannot give, yet again, to what I consider a human garbage disposal. He may well be starving and he may well fear both his hunger and the food, but even the deepest understanding of his condition doesn't mean I should put myself in harm's way again.

#87520 - 09/06/06 02:24 PM Re: Writing advice needed [Re: msdiana]
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Wow. This is very good. I can feel your pain, hear your confusion, see the frustration with the counselors who only serve to keep the mess spinning without resolution. I too lived in a sexless marriage for nearly 20 years--it appears the reason was different, but you manage to capture in your words many of the same feelings I had.

Question: Do you ever think you might leave him? If so save this until you go, that way you aren't setting up another conflict with him.

Or, write under another name, set up a seperate bank account for any windfall. Interviews with the author would be difficult this way.

Or, hire a ghostwriter to do the work, have book published under ghostwriter's name and set up a seperate account for any windfall. Interviews could be done by the ghostwriter continuing to keep you anonymous.

Or, give diary to a therapist/writer who could publish it anonymously for you as a research type piece, then set up a seperate account for any windfall. This might be the best way as a doctor would be bound by law not to reveal your identity.

Or...don't write your journal entries in that form. Create a heroine and have her story be the struggles of living in this type of marriage, have her write the hournal entries as a part of the story line, create a conflict, show her struggling to be happy, etc. As a cretive story the outside world wouldn't be aware of where your idea came from....

But....there is something very healing in writing and seeing your words on paper. Writing a book of your journals would be very freeing....having it written anonymously might continue to keep you imprisoned in a way. Since your children are grown, what are your long term thoughts, plans with this man? What are his long term plans regarding you and your marriage? Have you sat and talked to your children about this? Children tend to know lots more than we think they do and they probably are already fully aware of this problem--you may not be shielding them at all.

Anybody else have any ideas for Diana?

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#87521 - 09/06/06 02:56 PM Re: Writing advice needed [Re: starting over]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Diana, your writing is very good, it certainly drew me in, allowed me to taste your pain along with a weary resignation but also a hint of strength and determination to find your way out of this. Your writing makes me hungry to know more, especially to find out how the writer finds her way out of this limbo into her own life.

As far as suggestions regarding publishing, I don't know what to add to Starting Over. I agree with her opinion that writing under a different name may not be the best solution - you will always want to "own" this story because it's yours, but you won't have the freedom to own it unless it's under your own name.

The idea of writing it as a novel and ascribing all of this to your heroine might work really well...your writing is so good that you would probably be able to transfer yourself into your heroine and thereby still own the history and the story AND enjoy the freedom that comes by telling the story.

Maybe another place to go to ask would be to your children. Ask them. They're old enough to see your truth. Like SO says, they're not blind, they probably already know a lot more than you think they do. They might surprise you with encouragement to "go for it" - or at worst, they might recoil, in which case you'll know better what direction to NOT go in.

Whatever you decide, I think that your writing is too good to hide.

(Maya Angelou)

#87522 - 09/06/06 03:05 PM Re: Writing advice needed [Re: Eagle Heart]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I'm with Eagle Heart. I'd turn this into a work of fiction. Write from your heart, give your heroine all the passion and strength that you have and let your feelings flow free under the guise of fiction.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#87523 - 09/06/06 05:13 PM Re: Writing advice needed [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
You've already received excellent advice. I'd go with the fiction idea, too. That way, you can explore feelings all you want through your characters.

#87524 - 09/06/06 06:48 PM Re: Writing advice needed [Re: DonnaJ]
msdiana Offline

Loc: Stuttgart, Germany
Thank you so much ladies! I hadn't thought about the fiction angle. That would give me a lot more wiggle room. The bank account idea, also good. Such great feedback, thank you.

The older two know. They asked one night after my husband had left -- furious that I had hired someone to fix something instead of waiting for him to do it. I did wait several weeks. He took his tools with him, convinced I would let someone else touch them. The kids had already been turned away from him before when they would try to hug him. That he was so protective of his tools but wanted so little to do with us was not lost on them.
My daughter had suggested in the form of a question that if he was like that around people, what then must he be like in private.

I'm going to mull over these ideas, see what crops up.

Thank you again everyone.
Diana

#87525 - 09/06/06 07:17 PM Re: Writing advice needed [Re: msdiana]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hello Diana and all, obviously this is not about sex but about his inability to be touched in any form of human contact, and even what is HIS. Diana, u did the right thing by running from the "agent" asking for up front money! Many writers here have used memoir to tell sensitive stories, using real names as well. I've recently been revealed by/to long-lost relatives who came out of the woodwork, much as I dreaded. I regretted not using a pseudonym. However, I then remembered why I did NOT use a fake name: I wrote about childhood sexual abuse and domestic violence. I did not want others who have suffered the same to think that they had to hide in shame. I don't want to hide from my own self; I wanted to OWN my story and my past; I want to be proud of how I handled my present. Consider that, Diana: it sounds like a sexless marriage is not something to be ashamed of but something to be shared and understood so that others know they are not alone. I'm not a fan of publishing journals par se, (I've seen poor results with no plot structure or character development) but rather I prefer developing journals into fiction stories, or memoirs which tell a story as long as the elements of creative writing are followed. If you have a head for fiction, go for it. My story worked as a "true survivor" but I bet yours would work very, very well as fiction, if you see fit. That is for you to decide as you write, write, write. I tried to turn my book into fiction while I was writing, but my authentic heart & writing soul would not let me at that time. Now, I think I would know how. Then, I did not. As a writer, you have all these creative choices! Oh, as for the need for stories re: sexless marriages, yes, there is a need, considering all the on-line support groups and talk shows regarding the topic. Much luck, Lynn

#87526 - 09/06/06 08:24 PM Re: Writing advice needed [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Diana:

Any publisher wants to know how you will promote your book. You could use another name but your face would still be on tv if interviewed. So, you would have to know how you would promote it. Radio interviews would work but I've never found these interviews to be helpful in sales.

I think your writing is wonderful and captivating and I also feel there is a need for it. So, as the others have said, maybe fiction. I certainly wouldn't give up on this project.

I'm sorry you live like this. It must be very painful for you.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#87527 - 09/06/06 11:30 PM Re: Writing advice needed [Re: Dianne]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Diana,
Whew! Your writing is excellent and first-class. I mean that. As someone said, it makes one want to beg for more.

First, I hope this isn't your real name as these forums can be read by ANYBODY. No secrets. This is a public forum. I felt I needed to say that. We never know if someone feels threatened by their domestic situation, so I just wanted you to know.

Secondly, I can't see that fiction is going to solve anything as far as identity for you. Are you saying that no one, absolutely no one in your circle of friends, family, or acquaintances would KNOW from reading a work of fiction that the characters were really you and your hubby? I doubt it. As you stated, the kids already have some inkling. And what about when hubby finds out you've written a fiction novel and he reads it. Would he sue you? Divorce you? Beat you?

Writing under a pen name gives you a little bit of a veil, but you still have to consider marketing as Dianne has stated. What if the book is a best-seller? #1 on Amazon. Oprah? Trust me, they will want to delve into YOU the writer.

And a couple of things for last. I'm reading all of this and it makes me distraught that a counselor would make this all your fault. Me thinks I would be checking into another one. Finally, you are very smart to turn away from such a dishonest publisher! Good for you!

I see your problem here and really feel for you, but if you are wanting this in a book form for the public, you're going to have to make a decision on WHO (going public, fiction or otherwise/pen name/ghostwriter/therapist<as suggested>) get's credit for it. I hope it's YOU.

JJ

#87528 - 09/07/06 01:20 PM Re: Writing advice needed [Re: jawjaw]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I'm with JJ on the pen name but that would create a marketing issue. I think you need to write and publish this book. Good luck in making your decision.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved