The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 140 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#41779 - 08/14/05 07:36 AM I did it. Can't believe I did, but I did.
Sher Offline

Loc: Midwest
Finally, after all these months of saying I was going to, I submitted a packet to Creators Syndicate .

What was I thinking, y'all? Now that I've done it, I wish I hadn't. I know they are nearly impossible to break into and I also know that it's quite likely the kind of stuff I write doesn't speak to a broad enough scope of people to be syndicated.

Ugh. Now the wait for the mass produced letter comes and we all know, that's the worst part.

What about you guys? Do you have a big dream when it comes to your writing? When you dream about writing for the big dollars, what does than mean for you? A book, a column, what? Do you take steps to make it a reality? [Confused]

#41780 - 08/13/05 08:35 PM Re: I did it. Can't believe I did, but I did.
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Sher, you took a step. In order for an object to be guided, it must be moving. You moved. Even if you do receive a rejection slip, it's better than not trying. This life is not a dress rehearsal and I believe we need to use our talents and put them out into the world. Then, God will use us as His instrument.

It's not so much big money to me but I'm slowly learning screenplay writing. I'm such a novice! But, I enjoy learning and expressing myself through writing. It's a passion. I'm slowly working on another book too so depending on my mood, I work on one or the other.

Believe in miracles. They DO happen...all the time. The way I was published was nothing short of Divine Intervention, which still blows me away four years later. Once God got involved, it was like I couldn't NOT be published. Truly a miracle and if it can happen to me, it can happen to you too! I'm rooting for you girlfriend!

#41781 - 08/13/05 10:06 PM Re: I did it. Can't believe I did, but I did.
msdiana Offline

Loc: Stuttgart, Germany
sher i think it's great that you did what you did...do you know how many closet writers there are in this world who take "i wish i had --" to the grave with them?
the guidelines for creators' submissions is very clear that rejections don't necessarily mean a lack of quality but rather an abundance of submissions per a given topic...
if you want to know the truth about your writing, by all means seek out critiques from those you know (and network with) who will give you the real deal...if what you're hearing from critiques is good and great then that's what you go with and submit away!
if writers only submitted to those they knew would accept, then there'd be so many great woman writers who would never have been published because they never would have submitted...
read up on how many rejections were received by good and great writers before they were published and from whence those rejections came...
seriously sher, good for you! on many levels it was very brave of you and you should be proud of yourself!
be sure and let us know what happens...

[ August 13, 2005, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: msdiana ]

#41782 - 08/14/05 12:29 AM Re: I did it. Can't believe I did, but I did.
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
If I were in charge there and received your package, and if I took the time to read your hilarious work, I would be all over accepting you like white on rice.

If they don't, you can thumb your nose at them when you are on Oprah. Cause you're going places honey. I know you are.

Sher, you have talent, you have determination, and let's face it, you got da looks gal...so what's not to like?

JJ

#41783 - 08/14/05 10:49 PM Re: I did it. Can't believe I did, but I did.
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
'Bout dang time, Sher

#41784 - 08/15/05 01:54 AM Re: I did it. Can't believe I did, but I did.
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
Sher - you're a great writer, you're funny ( heck I'd say you're the funniest writer I know, but JJ has the power to put me in the dungeon for a long, loooonnnng time, so - you are definitely the secondest funniest writer I know [Smile] )

keep writing, keep submitting - you going places!!!

#41785 - 08/15/05 02:43 AM Re: I did it. Can't believe I did, but I did.
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Got my fingers crossed that the right people get ahold of your stuff! You are a great and talented writer!

#41786 - 08/15/05 04:17 AM Re: I did it. Can't believe I did, but I did.
Sher Offline

Loc: Midwest
Thanks, guys. You know, I'm just at a place in my life where I can't figure out what in the heck to do. So many irons in the fire just to make a living...but only one thing I really want to do. Write.

The problem is my writing doesn't really "fit" anywhere. It's too edgy at times for traditional women's magazines, and too "girlie" to probably be used in newspapers. I've tried changing the way I write to make it more generally appealing, but I can't accomplish that. I have to write the way I write....or I can't do it at all.

Does that make sense?

I write a LOT of business stuff... press releases, copy, web content, etc, and I guess I'm ok as far as that goes because I get paid to do it, but I don't love it. It doesn't crank my tractor.

For those of you a little past your forties, did you find this period of your life very, very confusing? Were you still trying to find your voice in your forties or did you have it all figured out by then?

#41787 - 08/15/05 04:47 AM Re: I did it. Can't believe I did, but I did.
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
Oh girl, I am so trying to find my voice and I definitely don't have it all figured out yet.

I don't know if I can express this correctly but I feel like I'm standing at the edge of change and I know I'm "coming into my power" but I'm still just at the edge of it right now.

A little excited, a little scared.....

And please don't change the way you write - there has to be more of us out there with whacked senses of humor - I am sure you are going to find a "fit".

#41788 - 08/15/05 05:00 AM Re: I did it. Can't believe I did, but I did.
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sher do not change the way you write, it is refreshing, crisp and to the point. These publications should fall on their knees to have your work. Keep trying and remember J.K. Rowlings who couldn't give Harry Potter away until one small nobody publisher saw it, liked it and the rest is history....Hang in there what you do is so worth it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved