The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 190 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#41910 - 07/23/05 10:27 PM Women writers & PTSD
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Hi boomers,
Have any of U other writers dealt with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and, if so, did it effect your writing? Did any of U succeed with your lst manuscript? Or did U have to rewrite or revise it a few times?
Just have an inquiring mind, I guess.
Thanks. Blessings & prayers,
Brose [Confused]

#41911 - 07/23/05 11:20 PM Re: Women writers & PTSD
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
In the past I think I may have had undiagnosed PTSD from three major car accidents with multiple fractures and coma, cancer, and being at the Oklahoma City bombing. I didn't have medication or psychiatry, but I did receive EMDR after the bombing and it helped tremendously.

After seeing the benefits of EMDR, I thought I may have previously handled the trauma by running, walking, and traveling as soon as I could crawl out of bed. And even more important, I prayed and others prayed for me.

As to writing, for a while after the trauma I couldn't even read much less write.

If you are experiencing PTSD, and can write, perhaps it would be therapeutic.

smile

[ July 23, 2005, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#41912 - 07/24/05 08:33 PM Re: Women writers & PTSD
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Bonnie, can you clarify your questions? What are you trying to determine? I was diagnosed with PTSD in retrospect. In other words, when I was in my forties, my counselor said, "You have been suffering from untreated PTSD." I had been previously treated for anxiety/depression/insomnia, but put them all together and the major diagnosis was PTSD. I always knew I wanted to be a writer, but I didn't think I could write about THAT, which means the abuse that caused PTSD. Once I discovered what PTSD was all about, and how my life had been affected by abuse, I was better able to delve into my writing without censoring WHAT I was writing about (the abuse). Once I allowed myself to write about the supposedly taboo topics, I became better able to write about other topics, as well. All writing has to be revised, revised, revised. I don't know any writer, with or without PTSD, that does not have to revise, revise, revise. However, I try not to lose the heart of what I am writing about, regardless of the inflence of PTSD. I spoke at a PTSD conference of professionals. What was determined is that PTSD can be managed, but not cured. A victim can recover. What are you trying to accomplish? . Love and Light, Lynn

#41913 - 07/28/05 12:29 AM Re: Women writers & PTSD
jabber Offline

Dear precious repliers,
Recently, I discovered abuse can produce an aftermath of PTSD. Several years ago, I began writing. Both manuscripts made sense to me. Friends said, "They're profound; powerful; good, etc., etc." But I didn't know those proofreaders were just telling me what they thought I wanted to hear. The writing was actually below par. I researched PTSD. And learnt writing was therapeutic, 4 this type problem. Needless to say, I'm rewriting the books and using different double-checks. But my question was: "While suffering from PTSD, have any of U written a story that seemed cleared 2 U but not understandable 2 anyone else? If so, were U able to rewrite it until the process made U well?" [Confused]

#41914 - 07/28/05 01:00 AM Re: Women writers & PTSD
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
The answer is YES. Bonnie, I wrote my journals while suffering from PTSD. As time passed, and as I was able to cope and clarify, I transcribed my journals onto the keyboard. Eventually, I came away with my book Beyond the Tears. There is a poem in the book that I wrote when I was 15, called "The Paranoid and the Narc." It was not until I was 45 that I was able to interpret my own poem to its true meaning! Yes, writing is therapeutic for PTSD sufferers. But if you want to use what you are writing for general readership, you have to revise, revise, revise. For publication, you still have to have a coherent introduction, body, climax, close. The process of journal writing was cathartic, but bringing the book to publication was more like a job than a therapy. What is your goal for these writings? If it is for therapy, then it has to make sense only to you. If it is for publication, then it has to make sense to everybody and anybody. A combination of therapies can make you well, writing is merely one of them. Much love and light to you on your journey, Lynn

#41915 - 08/03/05 06:45 PM Re: Women writers & PTSD
jabber Offline

Dear Lynn329,
I've a twofold purpose 4 writing, both of equal importance: 1st, 4 therapy; 2nd, 2 heighten public awareness regarding the lifelong, negative effects of child abuse.
At least, I'm aware what the problem is. And I'm willing 2 rewrite, until manuscripts are crystal-clear.
Blessings & prayers,
bonnierose [Wink]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved