The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 166 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#37594 - 02/19/04 04:52 AM library website
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
The Library allots me web pages on their main website for the Poet Laureate stuff. They also gave me their webmaster to work with.

When I gave him the initial copy to upload back in August, my pages came out with 57!! mistakes and a lot of omissions. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] None of these mistakes were made by me. Since then, he comes up with one lame excuse after another as to why the work isn't done; OR he says it's done, and there are still mistakes. I've been at my rope's end with this guy.

Well, now the rope has been cut. He says he no longer will work with me because I'm too fussy and I insulted him. (I said, "the library's paying you for this work and I've given you these same corrections 3 times now; it would be nice if they were actually done.") There are still misspelled names, missing punctuation and stylistic inconsistencies. I believe his sloppy work reflects poorly on both me and the library. Unfortunately, the library can't afford anyone better, and they seem to be happy with his work otherwise.

I was waiting to announce this site when the mistakes were cleared up. That won't happen now, so "it is what it is." Eventually I'd like to learn html and these skills for myself, but won't have time to start until at least this summer.

So here's my site:
www.placentialibrary.org/laureate/poetlaureate/htm

#37595 - 02/20/04 07:28 PM Re: library website
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Meredith, how is the youth mentoring program going? Aren't you mentoring young poets?

#37596 - 02/21/04 08:16 AM Re: library website
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Meredith
I tried to access the webpage and got nothing. Tried again today and still nothing. Maybe you should check it out.

smile

#37597 - 02/21/04 01:53 AM Re: library website
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
MB - too bad public stocks went out of style.

#37598 - 02/22/04 09:42 AM Re: library website
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Oops, I slashed where I should have dotted (probably still thinking of the webguy [Mad] )

http://www.placentialibrary.org/laureate/poetlaureate.htm

#37599 - 02/22/04 09:48 AM Re: library website
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

The youth program ran until December. We did everything we could to get 'em in, but attendance was not enough to continue the program.

Two weeks ago we presented a program at the local senior center, and will do another at an assisted senior living housing in 2 weeks. Also a "Favorite Poem" reading in March. Next Sunday I'll be one of the readers at the Dr. Suess-a-thon (that program put on by the Childrens' Librarian.)

#37600 - 02/22/04 09:39 PM Re: library website
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Yeah!! I found the site. That's very good Meredith. I was so proud.

I loved the quote, "Life is full of people with great ideas, who sit on their butts and do nothing. Then they die." I understand how realizing your own mortality can awaken you to things that you previously took for granted. Suddenly you have nothing to rely on, even tomorow, and there is nothing to lose. When you have nothing to lose it's easy to risk it all.

While others were sitting on their butts waiting to die, you were doing things, reaching out. taking risks, doing something!!! Good job!!

smile

[ February 22, 2004, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#37601 - 02/23/04 05:14 AM Re: library website
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I was amazed at how many naysayers there were when I started my project, well-meaning (?) friends who didn't think I'd ever get appointed because

1. There are no previous Poets Laureate in Orange County;
2. No Library in the United States has ever done this before;
3. I don't have a long list of publication credits;

blah blah blah blah

and I said, There's no time like the present for this to happen, and I don't see a long line of other people who want this position...

and I knew if I didn't try, I'd be forever saying shoulda done, coulda done.

---------------------------------
This was my fourth brush with "coulda died" and the first time it ever affected my behavior or long-term attitudes. I think I just woke up and realized if I wanted to do something, Today Is The Day.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved