The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 229 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#132460 - 11/20/07 11:51 PM internet withdrawl.....a good or a bad thing?
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Oh my, our city went wireless, and so did we. Unfortunately, the signal didn't work for us, and (love him, but) the partner pulled stubborn on me and decided he could "fix" it.

He couldn't, we went without, and guess what, I am still living and breathing and the world wide web existed just fine without me.

Ladies - how much do you depend on cable, internet, wireless, etc? Did you enjoy your time away or grieve it? Do we all need an occasional vacation from our computers, tv's, electronics?

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#132461 - 11/21/07 01:49 AM Re: internet withdrawl.....a good or a bad thing? [Re: Anno]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
The only one connected to my hip is the computer. If I miss a few days (which I sometimes may on weekends due to work schedule) I'm all "omigosh, what if I missed something really important, like the $1000 jewelry order or the book contract or life-changing news from a friend?" -- as opposed to the virtual cartons full of junk mail that I usually find.

A year ago when my hard-drive crashed, I went to the library every day for 3 weeks to connect, until I finally got this situation fixed.

I don't watch that much TV and don't get too miffed if I miss something. No cable, no cell phone, no other devices.

On the road, I've often relied on local libraries or pay-per-view internet. Don't have a laptop although it's on my "someday sooner-than-later" list.

Poet and essayist

#132462 - 11/21/07 01:56 AM Re: internet withdrawl.....a good or a bad thing? [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
If I could only get weaned from TV, and can't get reception where we are without cable. I have to have it on for background noise, even when I sleep. The computer is a come and go thing. Sometimes I hate it, other times I can't live without it. The cellphone I carry is strictly for emergencies (at the command of DH).
There are times I wish I could get away from ALL of it... even the land line and front door. Those times seem to be becoming more frequent. BUT, too many are in need and we have to be available. If something were to happen and we weren't there to help, the repercussions (mostly mental) would be too hurtful.

#132463 - 11/21/07 03:11 PM Re: internet withdrawl.....a good or a bad thing? [Re: gims]
Anno Offline

I actually loved not having phone service, but missed my internet. TV is something I use like you use, Gimster. I love the background noise - a distraction, I suppose. But I also do not mind when it is off.

I have been trying hard not to read the paper or watch tv news because of all the negative information. I find I don't miss it, but feel a bit uninformed about the world and it's goings on.

#132464 - 11/21/07 03:52 PM Re: internet withdrawl.....a good or a bad thing? [Re: Anno]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
The only thing I can't do without now is the internet. When my computer acts up, I'm ashamed to admit it but I go into a panic! I suppose because so much of my current life is computer based. What did I ever do without it?? I tend to sit in silence all day when working. I could live without tv and the phone if it were possible. I'm with you, Anno in that my choice would be to NOT watch the news for awhile. I can't get away from it because if hubby gets home in time for it (news) it's always on...both local and national...just hate it! It bothers me and that's why I could do without it for awhile. I'd also like the phone to go away but in my case, it wouldn't be good for business!

#132466 - 11/22/07 04:35 AM Re: internet withdrawl.....a good or a bad thing? [Re: ]
HelenGallagher Offline

Loc: Glenview, Illinois
I work with computers and the internet every day, so it's part of me. I had fun during a four-day summer power outage, but was quickly back to my old habits. I think time management is key for all of us online, just as it is with all our other work and household tasks. There's so much fab inf online -- it will be there again tomorrow, or whenever your connection pops back on.

#132467 - 11/22/07 07:12 AM Re: internet withdrawl.....a good or a bad thing? [Re: HelenGallagher]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I prefer sitting at my computer at night over watchng TV. I don't think it matters what kind of screen you sit infront of, as long as you enjoy it. When I'm in the internet, it's like having the largest library in the world right at my fingertips. And I obviously enjoy the interaction at this forum. I have noticed one thing, though, if I'm surfing around till right before going to bed, I don't sleep well. That's when I go down to the living room couch and cuddle with Hubby.

#132468 - 11/22/07 07:41 AM Re: internet withdrawl.....a good or a bad thing? [Re: Edelweiss]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
My laptops, as my desktops, are necessary tools for work, to connect with family/friends and research. I use it for all others as everyone does. What I find greatly annoying at home though is that recently, someone's been in the shadow of my wireless network.

Music is constantly on in my house. The main TV is on a timer which comes on at 6 P.M. because I don't like coming home to the sound of silence in my house when I am in London.

I lug two cellphones with me all the time. Calls to my home landline is forwarded to one of them so that I don't miss any.

#132469 - 11/22/07 12:36 PM Re: internet withdrawl.....a good or a bad thing? [Re: Lola]
Anno Offline

Lola, what do you mean, someone is in the shawdow of your wireless?

When our network was down for so long, I "borrowed" my neighbors wireless a few times (I did ask, however) and I felt guitly each time.

#132470 - 11/22/07 07:44 PM Re: internet withdrawl.....a good or a bad thing? [Re: Anno]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Plain and simple wireless theft, Anno. Strangers who sit in their car with their laptops outside my house. In this country, unauthorised access to a computer system to perform a function with intent to secure access to any program or data, knowing that the access is unauthorised, is a crime. The offence, on conviction, carries with it a maximum sentence of 6 months imprisonment or a penalty of £2000, or both.

Although my security advises intrusion at all levels, there is always a risk that confidential data could be hacked. As I have posted previously, I use my laptops for work, which is why I am cautious and do not hesitate to call the police or consider litigation when I suspect that someone is riding my system when I am online.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved