The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#36190 - 11/08/02 04:59 AM hobby?!?!
nillawafer Offline

Loc: new orleans
i have no talents....none... you hear me? i have looked for a hobby since forever. i went to therapy for post traumatic stress disorder for a few months a while back and my therapist told me to find a hobby. i laughed at her. i tried latch hook, at her suggestion, and i liked it for two days. it sits in my room collecting dust and i will never finish it. through therapy, we decided i am all about instant gratification and that may be why i hate hobbies. they take too long to be gratified. if anyone has any suggestions on instant gratification hobbies, please let me know. oh,, and get this,, as luck would have it.. my therapist was deaf, and quit half way thorugh my therapy sessions!! go figure!

#36191 - 11/08/02 07:57 PM Re: hobby?!?!
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I know how you feel. I feel like I'm boring because I don't do anything but work. Everything just takes too long. When I played the violin I wasn't reposnsible for a house, so I had time to practice while someone else made dinner. I think for me, it's not so much the instant gratification as the wanting to be really good at it. I get frustrated trying something and quit. Plus I don't have a lot of space for a hobby like making crafts or something.

One thing that I really enjoyed when I lived in that house in Rockville was gardening. Since you live where you can do this year round, it might be good. It's somewhat instant because you do see progress right away, especially if you go buy the flowers already blooming at K-Mart. "They" claim it has great therapeutic value. Plus you could even get yourself a comfortable chair and sit out there and enjoy it while reading, listening to music, painting your nails.

My one friend does scrap booking. She loves getting all the pictures, old menus, matchbooks, and stuff she has together and putting it all together. Not sure if this would be up your ally, but it's a nice way to sort out some stuff you've been hanging on to and a nice memory to have.

#36192 - 02/10/05 08:15 AM Re: hobby?!?!
LadySims Offline

Loc: St.Petersburg
Hi Nillawafer, I know where you're coming from...I think I have the same problem, LOL
Hubby bought me a Large Fish Tank for my Birthday a few years ago & we got some Fancy-Tailed Guppies to put in it. They are Fresh water fishies, so are easy to care for AND they Multiply !!! My Pet Store takes the ones I don't want & gives me Free Fish Food in exchange. They are a lot of fun to watch & when the Babies come, oh my it's Exciting, LOL I also enjoy taking their pictures & sending them in E-mails. [Smile]

#36193 - 02/10/05 12:22 PM Re: hobby?!?!
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
nillawafer, why not crossword puzzles? They take up almost no space, and you can put them down whenever you finish them or don't, and not feel guilty. Plus, they're FREE in the daily newspaper.

Another idea would be to pick a topic or ideas that interest you, and look them up on the internet. Learning is a great hobby. There's no rule that hobbies have to involve collecting or building something.

#36194 - 02/17/05 01:53 AM Re: hobby?!?!
nillawafer Offline

Loc: new orleans
that is kind of funny because i do the crossword puzzles everyday. i never considered that a hobby but i guess it could be. wow...now i feel important. i finally have a hobby. the best kind!! a free hobby. thanks for making my day. i do the jumble too. geesh...now i have two hobbies!! dang i better get going i am too busy for this internet stuff!!! i have too many hobbies to keep track of now. egads... i do the wishing well too and sometimes scrabble in the paper.... i am OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!!

#36195 - 02/20/05 11:32 PM Re: hobby?!?!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Oh my gosh...it's so good to see you again. I remember how much I enjoyed your funny posts. DO stick around. Can you make this a hobby? [Razz]

#36196 - 02/21/05 06:04 AM Re: hobby?!?!
MClubPrez Offline

Loc: Ohio
now that nila recognizes she DOES have some hobbies, it got me thinking...

Napping is a hobby of mine that I am really enjoying during this long winter.

And as soon as summer is here again, I plan on picking up my warm-weather hobby of making Margaritas.

As with any hobby, the key is to keep at it to improve! [Big Grin]

My newest, bestest hobby, however, is BWS! JJ tried to warn me-it has become addictive. [Razz]

#36197 - 03/29/06 09:51 AM Re: hobby?!?!
Sandi Offline

Loc: Jupiter Florida
Golf, golf and more golf. The End.

#36198 - 06/10/06 12:35 AM Re: hobby?!?!
Old Knitter Offline

I don't suppose I could interest you in my hobby? Knitting It is enjoyable, portable, you can put it away when you want.....and, you end up with something really nice when you're done.

#36199 - 06/10/06 03:08 AM Re: hobby?!?!
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Old Knitter,
I haven't picked up a knitting needle since High School...and I really want to relearn it..in fact, it was one of my New Year's resolutions....when was that? 6 months ago?ANYWAY...I read that knitting keeps your mind sharp and is also a destressor...both important to me...so...hopefully I will find time to sign up for a class soon and be able to join you in the knitting circle... [Smile]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved