The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#102528 - 01/10/07 01:08 PM anybody know anything about birdfeeders?
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I got a really neat birdfeeder for Xmas. Ran out the next day and got birdseed, and hung it in a tree in the back yard, where I'd be able to enjoy watching the birds from my back porch.
Well obviously I either bought some kind of seed (I just bought a bag of wild bird seed) that the birds don't like, or else I've hung it in a place they don't want to visit, or something. The birdfeeder's been hanging there since the day after Xmas and it doesn't look like anything has gone near the seed......the tube is still full. If it matters it's in an avocado tree I have in my back yard.
Anybody got any hints on how to attract birds to a new birdfeeder when you put it out.....is there something I need to know? I figured put seed in it, hang it in a tree, and the birds would show up......it's not happening.
Any help would be appreciated!!

#102529 - 01/10/07 02:52 PM Re: anybody know anything about birdfeeders? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Mountain Ash Offline

I know here in Scotland the birds have a pattern.They seem to know where to go to trees and bushes that will give them berries,They choose round here where they are going to nest just about no(Legend says on St Valentines day they mate up.)
May be the birds already had a feeding station and yours in so new it is not first choice.I believe it will have been notices and it just a matter of time.What kind of birds live near you.
We have tits of all sorts.finches blackbirds robins and siskins ..Dunnock sparrow and migrant visitors.Also collared doves.Wher are you in US.
Mountain Ash

#102530 - 01/10/07 03:42 PM Re: anybody know anything about birdfeeders? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
We have a bunch of bird feeders hanging on trees across from our living room window. We noticed the birds usually don't come to feed in December and January. Seems like they fill up before the cold weather sets in, and maybe then hibernate like bears? Anyway we always wondered why when there is snow and it's cold, they don't come. During the other months, they just about stand on top of each other to get at the feeders. Like it's after the after sale; "Flap those wings over here before this grub is gone! peeeeeep!"
They'll be coming. Just give them time to discover the new feeding place.

#102531 - 01/10/07 08:50 PM Re: anybody know anything about birdfeeders? [Re: Edelweiss]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Hi CQ....try putting little tiny bits of bacon rind mixed in with the seed in the tray at the bottom of the tube...just enough to attract birds and not cats!!!

Popea
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#102532 - 01/10/07 09:56 PM Re: anybody know anything about birdfeeders? [Re: Poppie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Try a different seed mixed, but Hannelore is correct, I see few birds here in Dec. or Jan. But come spring and I have to fill my feeders every single day.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#102533 - 02/13/07 03:36 AM Re: anybody know anything about birdfeeders? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
ktri Offline

Just wondering if you ever got any birds at your feeder?

ktri

#102534 - 03/06/07 11:04 PM Re: anybody know anything about birdfeeders? [Re: ktri]
Q_ball Offline

Loc: Ozarks
Found It! Wheuuu, Wanted to share with the birdfeeders what works wonders for us. We put out on the ground and in our feeders "Steel Cut Corn" or Chopped Corn. It's not ground or pulverised corn like chick starter used for baby chicks. But, it's chopped up to the size of say..grape nuts cereal, for reference. Year round we have Cardinals, Blue Jays, Robins, Crows, Woodpeckers, Roadrunners, Monkingbirds, Red Winged Blackbirds, Wild Ducks of all colors hanging around at the pond & a varity of what I call "The Little Ugly Birds" with no real identity or color. Then this same corn also has a large number of squirrels at our door too. The ducks we have to take corn down by the pond for, but they are probably more attracted to the pond than the corn. The pond was in our yard, till the boys went to college and Ma & Pa got tired of mowing so much yard. LOL Well, it takes a lot of yard to go round a 5 acre pond.
While we are thinking bird feeding..Think Hummingirds if they are in your area. It's time for them to be flying up from the South for summer. We hang our feeders out about now, for the scout to find. the scout hummer will hoover at our door & windows if the feeder isn't up when he arrives. We go through roughly 5 quarts of Hummer juice a day at peak. Today I gave all the hummer feeders a spring scrub. On to my hint on this, if like me, at the end of the season you were worn out with feeding the presistant little toots and socked the feeders away less than prestine clean. Squirt some Dawn Power Dissolve in them, roll it around to coat the ick * let it sit a while and the grime brushes off so easy with a bottle brush.
Happy Bird Feeding, Q-ball

#102535 - 03/08/07 12:49 PM Re: anybody know anything about birdfeeders? [Re: Q_ball]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks for all this great information. I'd love to feed birds but around here we have too many squirrels that snatcah everything up before the birds have a chance. ANy suggestions all you bird lovers?

#102536 - 03/08/07 04:36 PM Re: anybody know anything about birdfeeders?
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Its been my experience that the wild bird seed is a waste of money. Most of the seed in them gets pushed out--the birds don't like it. Black oil sunflower seed costs a bit more but you won't have any waste. Also safflower seed (sp?) is well liked and thistle seed. Sunflower and safflower will attract your cardinals, blue Jays, chicadees, juncos, and many other birds. Thistle is loved by gold finches, other finches and small birds. Thistle requires a special type of feeder and will mildew if it gets wet so you'll have to watch it. You can make your birds sick if they eat bad seed. Stay away from cracked corn unless you want squirrel, deer and turkey--or mice and rats (depending on your area)

Dotsie, hang your feeders and put a large canopy that can flop over the feeder. The squirrels can't climb up to the feeder and are blocked and slide off the canopy. An old trach can lid can work. Hummingbirds like hummingbird food of course and you can find that readily at the store. Cedar wax wings and oroiles like pieces of fruit.

Birds need trees to fly to to eat, but they also need bushes very near the feeders to fly to in case of predators while they are feeding. Some birds are ground feeders too. If they don't feel safe they will be hesitant to come to your yard. One year, we lived at a place with a big tree but no low lying bushes nearby. After Christmas we pulled the now dead christmas tree out and laid it on the ground near the feeder. Within a day we had chickadees and other birds there! That tree came in handy when a hawk swooped in to try to snatch some lunch!

Depending on your area, it may be too early in the season to attract birds yet. If it is still very cold, you might want to get some of the small cages with the suet cakes in them. The suet and fat provides needed energy to maintain warmth if it is still cold in your area.

Birds also need water. A flatish dish with a rock in the center can make a great water area for birds. The rock in the center helps the bird guage the depth of the water.

As the seasons begin to change you'll be able to catch migratory birds too returning to their areas. Also the 'front line' male birds will be coming in to scope of food sources and nesting sites so be ready to set your feeders out soon.

Old yarn, string, even pet hair can be set out in a net bag for birds to take for nesting materials.

One year we had set out fruit trees and staked them with string. A flock of cedar waxwings decided our yard would make a great place to live. I watch one day as several females worked all day to untie all the stacked trees, then worked to 'cut' the strings and carry them off to build their nests! Birds are fascinating and will adapt to your yard if given enough supplies.

There are tons of plants too that will help attract birds to your yard. Any good gardening book will give you a list. Hope this helps!

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#102537 - 03/09/07 04:23 PM Re: anybody know anything about birdfeeders?
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Dotsie,
I bought a birdfeeder from Wal-Mart made by homestead that's squirrel proof. It was around $29 and it really works. It's amazing how I don't have to refill the feeder all the time.

There was a squirrel that actually looked like it was having a mad fit after I put it up. It was hilarious.:D

Laurel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved